• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Breeze Audio" ES9038 ES9038PRO DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Check This out. A guy also reviewed this against SU-8.

I noticed whatever you purchase its measurements like thd+n, snr remains the same.

That's quite a 'review.' Really clarified things for me.

DeepSpace57

Have look at this ,which has the same measurements as previous one. Moreover, those bundles that they offer can impact these measurements. I believe the shown measurements are utterly wrong. However, i had found a cheaper version shown as having a measurement ( thd+n < 0.0003). Sorry to say I cannot now find it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Have look at this ,which has the same measurements as previous one. Moreover, those bundles that they offer can impact these measurements. I believe the shown measurements are utterly wrong. However, i had found a cheaper version shown as having a measurement ( thd+n < 0.0003). Sorry to say I cannot now find it.
0.002% distortion. That's pretty shit ei? And it's totally not impossible. Bad implementation will very likely to cause this. Cheaper version having thd+n of 0.0003? If it doesn't solve the imd hump it's not worth the time than thadas tone board(well I'm almost 100% sure). Smsl m3 and topping d30 don't have imd hump but with a bit higher thd 0.0005% at full volume.
One tip, these specs are mostly fake or randomly put on. Most Chinese brands or most brands from whatever country don't really do this properly. We should be better off choosing the ones that are tested on this site.

DeepSpace57

0.002% distortion. That's pretty shit ei? And it's totally not impossible. Bad implementation will very likely to cause this. Cheaper version having thd+n of 0.0003? If it doesn't solve the imd hump it's not worth the time than thadas tone board(well I'm almost 100% sure). Smsl m3 and topping d30 don't have imd hump but with a bit higher thd 0.0005% at full volume.
One tip, these specs are mostly fake or randomly put on. Most Chinese brands or most brands from whatever country don't really do this properly. We should be better off choosing the ones that are tested on this site.

I believe the seller is not posting real results. Instead, the same results of previous gears are advertised. I have absolutely no idea at all. However, the strange thing is a reviewer with Vietnam flag posted a few pictures one of which clearly shows that the gear works on 110v. AFAIK 220v is supplied through Vietnam grid.

Anyway, you mention ESS’s hump by specifically es9038x. Why is this so important to you? If you max the volume out (pre-amp), it does not matter. Am i right? Please enlighten me.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I believe the seller is not posting real results. Instead, the same results of previous gears are advertised. I have absolutely no idea at all. However, the strange thing is a reviewer with Vietnam flag posted a few pictures one of which clearly shows that the gear works on 110v. AFAIK 220v is supplied through Vietnam grid.

Anyway, you mention ESS’s hump by specifically es9038x. Why is this so important to you? If you max the volume out (pre-amp), it does not matter. Am i right? Please enlighten me.
Two tone of 60hz and 1khz will show modulations in the spectrum even at max amplitude. It's more important than thd when it's higher than single tone thd. If you don't care about measurement under 0.01% at all then you may as well ignore imd hump. If you care about being objectively better, imd hump is a serious issue. Problem with those brands is that they almost don't even measure thd or noise. They can simply use oscilloscope and see they have a good wave form and done with it.

DeepSpace57

Two tone of 60hz and 1khz will show modulations in the spectrum even at max amplitude. It's more important than thd when it's higher than single tone thd. If you don't care about measurement under 0.01% at all then you may as well ignore imd hump. If you care about being objectively better, imd hump is a serious issue. Problem with those brands is that they almost don't even measure thd or noise. They can simply use oscilloscope and see they have a good wave form and done with it.

Well, technically SU-8 has an obvious hump; but sonically it performs very well.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well, technically SU-8 has an obvious hump; but sonically it performs very well.
If you don't care about measurements altogether then it's fine. They all should sound good when distortion is under 0.1% and generally inaudible under 0.01%.
But from pure performance standpoint, it's a serious issue. Imd hump is equivalent to having thd of 0.01% that makes 0.0003% of single tone performance meaningless.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Surely one odd test is multitone.Su8 doesn't suffer from the multitone amir used. But if you change the frequencies of the component sinewaves, and change the spectrum to -20db/decade sloping, there is very big imd forest. The mechanics of imd hump is still a mystery at least to most of us. As music is not test signal, the results will very likely to by complicated and should triger the imd hump even played at full volume.

James. B. Lansing

Forum Donor
Dealer
I would love to see results, I built it myself, it sounds fantastic and is now my main DAC. Upgraded the OP Amps to 2 * MUSES8920 and spent a bit of time shielding. I run it into an emotiva balanced poweramp using XLR as RCA are slightly hissy close up to tweeter.

I prefer it to the d50s. audiable increase in dynamic range, warmer and more transparent, cleaner crisper and suprisingly sparkly highs. Please review one!

I also own topping D50s with iFi power supply, M100, and a burr brown and Wolfson Micro 24-bit/192kHz WM8761.

Attachments

• 20191231_183333.jpg
    20191231_183333.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 422
  • 20191216_115322.jpg
    20191216_115322.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 458

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I would love to see results, I built it myself, it sounds fantastic and is now my main DAC. Upgraded the OP Amps to 2 * MUSES8920 and spent a bit of time shielding. I run it into an emotiva balanced poweramp using XLR as RCA are slightly hissy close up to tweeter.

I prefer it to the d50s. audiable increase in dynamic range, warmer and more transparent, cleaner crisper and suprisingly sparkly highs. Please review one!

I also own topping D50s with iFi power supply, M100, and a burr brown and Wolfson Micro 24-bit/192kHz WM8761.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ng-audio-2019-dc300-dac.10094/#js-post-274786

James. B. Lansing

Forum Donor
Dealer
Best case with extra shielding it might reach 96dB SINAD, clearing 16-bit audio. But yeah, hardly a good purchase I'm afraid unless you like buying such a thing just for modding...

Shame, it does sound good to me, lucky I got the ess board cheap from a estate sale.. (must be imagining it.)

It did have issues with static prior to shielding etc.. but all good now.

Cheers for sharing results keep up the good work all forum's great!

Top Bottom