• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

"Breeze Audio" ES9038 ES9038PRO DAC

pos

Patreon Donor
Amir, there are many variations of these boards (different board versions, different components installed, etc.) from many vendors and various prices, and it is probable that they will measure different if one or another variation has flaws (even from the same vendor, I suppose).
So in order for this test to be meaningful it would be great to find a reliable vendor on ebay and choose the most recent and less exotic version.
That way people could choose to buy this exact same version and be confident they are getting the exact same implementation you tested.

pos

Patreon Donor
I think it would also be better to choose a 9028pro board, as it is less likely to have flaws and both should measure the same anyway for a stereo build of this quality. We cannot reasonably expect a 9038pro to be better than a 9028pro with this kind of implementation, can we?
And it is cheaper to boot :)

Gosh, I am stuck at trying to give it my address. The pop up does not show US as a country to select....
Adding a shipping address on Taobao was hell. I had to look at the HTML source and use a translator to translate from Chinese and visually compare character shapes to select my country.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think it would also be better to choose a 9028pro board, as it is less likely to have flaws and both should measure the same anyway for a stereo build of this quality. We cannot reasonably expect a 9038pro to be better than a 9028pro with this kind of implementation, can we?
And it is cheaper to boot :)
Your point about ready ordering process for everyone is good. No sense in reviewing something that is so hard for most people outside of China to order.

Which 9028Pro do you have in mind?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Your point about ready ordering process for everyone is good. No sense in reviewing something that is so hard for most people outside of China to order.

Which 9028Pro do you have in mind?
Actually, from what I can see on ebay 9028Pro versions are lately very hard to get - it seems they've upgraded production to 9038Pro boards, like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ES9038-ES9038PRO-HIFI-audio-DAC-decoder-remote-control-XMOS-XU208-Amanero-USB/123246167577?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=51875&meid=7afc6e6f29e041bb903fd26edf6c5aaf&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=12&sd=132290416609&itm=123246167577&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

The problem with this board is that I don't expect it to measure hood enough to justify the price.

Last edited:
Set up an account on AliExpress? BreezeAudio has a store there with all of their DAC's and DAC boards. Much easier than Taobao.

Ron Texas

Major Contributor
After seeing disappointing test results on more than one bargain priced ESS 9038Pro DAC, I would not buy anything in that category which had not been tested.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
After seeing disappointing test results on more than one bargain priced ESS 9038Pro DAC, I would not buy anything in that category which had not been tested.
Me too. Oh wait!!! :D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
From my read, that board doesn't come with USB or even the opamps! By the time we add that stuff, and the A/C power supply and case, it will become quite a bit more money.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did I drop a hint or something?
I meant that most of the time I wind up buying gear that doesn't have measurements. So there is a good chance I waste my money.

Ron Texas

Major Contributor
I meant that most of the time I wind up buying gear that doesn't have measurements. So there is a good chance I waste my money.
Yeah, but you are doing it to measure the gear and make a significant contribution to the community. Lots of subjective rave reviews can mean nothing with the Yaggi as the prime example. You made me aware of the D30. I am in love with it after a few weeks.

How the subjective reviewers come up with their comments on DAC's and other electronics is beyond me.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How the subjective reviewers come up with their comments on DAC's and other electronics is beyond me.
You and me both. I was just finalizing the review of a product and did a search. Stuff the reviewer was saying about it was total fantasy.