• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brazilian soccer legend Pelé dies at 82

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When I was growing up, two international sports figures were our heroes: Mohammad Ali for boxing and Pele for soccer/football. Sad to hear passing of Pele. I still remember listening to radio broadcasts in 1960s of his game and wishing him to land another point. May he rest in peace. Thank you for giving us such great memories.

-----

Pelé, the Brazilian soccer legend who won three World Cups and became the sport’s first global icon, has died at the age of 82.

“Everything that we are, is thanks to you,” his daughter Kely Nascimento wrote in a post on Instagram, under an image of family members holding Pele’s hands. “We love you infinitely. Rest in peace.”

Pelé was admitted to a hospital in São Paulo in late November for a respiratory infection and for complications related to colon cancer. Last week, the hospital said his health had worsened as his cancer progressed. He died on Thursday from multiple organ failure due to the progression of colon cancer, according to a statement from Albert Einstein Hospital.

For more than 60 years, the name Pelé has been synonymous with soccer. He played in four World Cups and is the only player in history to win three, but his legacy stretched far beyond his trophy haul and remarkable goal-scoring record.

“I was born to play football, just like Beethoven was born to write music and Michelangelo was born to paint,” Pelé famously said.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Only player who won 3 World Cups. He literally stopped a country at war so that both sides could go to the stadium and watch him play, then resume fighting later. All the great plays we see today, he did first. Turned a sport into a religion. Made Brazil the football force it is today. The typical genius ahead of his time. Showed that a poor black kid could turn into a global superstar. Other great players came and still will come, maybe with even better stats and more / other titles. But standing on the shoulders of a giant.

RIP, goat.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Going to sit down and watch Victory and Pele with my son over the NY weekend. When I was a kid it was mandatory to gather together and watch his training films and recordings of some of his games when we were at overnight soccer camps. He was the standard by which all other players are judged, and no one will knock him off his perch. My son thinks Messi is the best ever, but his eyes will be opened.

LDvo

Not only most famous in the world - the King of football/soccer, but true sportsman and role model for the youth. Very sad.

Top Bottom