• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brands that you hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rman9

I have a healthy hate for certain brands of speakers.. Bose is at the Top of the list.. Maybe because people claim they are high end.. anyone here who love them?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Brands change hands, sometimes just depends on who produced what at what time under a particular brand name. Bose, while pretty much under the guidance the founder (Dr Amar Bose) setup somewhat, has had its time and place in some respects. Don't care much for their home lineup for a while, tho as far as cost/performance but plenty of people like the feature set despite the cost (including some friends of mine).

D

Deleted member 21219

I, too, hate Bose. Why? Because I was forced to listen to the 901 a great deal in 1975-76.
I also hate Klipschorns, because of the muffled "tin-can" vocal region.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a healthy hate for certain brands of speakers.. Bose is at the Top of the list.. Maybe because people claim they are high end.. anyone here who love them?
Bose has some questionable products at questionable prices like the cubes and subwoofer period of it's operation. On the other hand I provided warranty service for Bose for years and some of the stuff was difficult to work on because it was constructed so solidly. I guess Bose is hit and miss on product. :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I, too, hate Bose. Why? Because I was forced to listen to the 901 a great deal in 1975-76.
I also hate Klipschorns, because of the muffled "tin-can" vocal region.

Forced? :) While I went to some parties with well setup 901s back then (but earlier) they were fun in that situation compared to quite a few others' setups.....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to hate working on Coustic car audio head units because they where hand wired and full of jumpers and generally where like a spider web inside and had very shoddy difficult to read schematics. Coustic got their act together after years of that stuff and adopted modern practices and got proper literature. I began to enjoy servicing it. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Forced? :) While I went to some parties with well setup 901s back then (but earlier) they were fun in that situation compared to quite a few others' setups.....
I heard a 4 speaker setup with 901s and it was kool. Not sure how it would have compared in a soundroom against other stuff but I liked it at the time.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard a 4 speaker setup with 901s and it was kool. Not sure how it would have compared in a soundroom against other stuff but I liked it at the time.

Sort of what I meant by fun, especially mounted higher than lower for parties particularly. Lots of loud fun eq'd somewhat to taste....not a critical listening experience whatsoever.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't hate any brands, but I have to say that I'm dubious of the following: PS Audio, Klipsch, Bose, Sonus, B&W, AudioQuest and Transparent. The last two I may not hate but I disrespect.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't hate any brands, but I have to say that I'm dubious of the following: PS Audio, Klipaudulesch, Bose, Sonus, B&W, AudioQuest and Transparent. The last two I may not hate but I disrespect.

Well I'd put Fraudioquest and "Transparent" in the fraudulent category rather than a brand even worthy of actual consideration myself....BS Audio not far behind, particularly the cables....then again some prefer certain audible differences....hard to know what to hate....

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on recent experience, you can add Verizon Fios to the wider market list.
LOL wish I had near that capability ever offered where I am, we just got updated from DSL (and I was in a good location) to a cable service that has declined from originally about 80-100 Mbps to current 30-40 range (assume due more subscribers switching over without necessary hardware upgrades)....but FIOS speeds even when I lived in the SF Bay Area were not available in two places I lived there.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In audio: Schiit , Zu, PS Audio, Wilson, and Transparent/ MIT.

In the wider market: Comcast, Paypal, and Facebook.

In their day ('80s, '90s) PS Audio was a pretty good outfit. No one would confuse them with Krell or Levinson, but they made some excellent preamps (Peter Aczel used one for years). their DACs weren't bad either. Reliability was an issue with them, though.

Today's PS Audio is a different, and less attractive, incarnation.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bose has always been a ripoff. And litigious.

And they have a lot of people snowed.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wiki:
In July 2014, Bose sued Beats Electronics for patent infringement, alleging that its "Studio" headphones line incorporated Bose noise cancelling technology.[103][104] Bose and Apple had collaborated on the SoundDock for iPod music players in 2004. Then in May 2014, Beats was bought by Apple, bringing Bose and Apple into direct competition in the headphone market. In Apple stores, Bose headphones were once the foremost brand offered, but at the time of the lawsuit, Beats products outnumbered Bose. In 2014 total premium headphone market share, Beats held 62%, Bose held 22%.[105] In October 2014, Bose dropped the lawsuit, as Bose and Beats settled out of court without revealing the terms.[106][107][108] Apple removed all Bose products from its Apple stores a few days after the lawsuit was settled,[109] but two months later, Bose products returned.[110]

morals: you can hate them but cannot ever get rid of them lol..

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bose has always been a ripoff. And litigious.

And they have a lot of people snowed.

Not really on the ripoff thing. Litigious sure, but what major corporation doesn't employ that bullshit legally? There are decent commercial versions per friends of mine who installed such, but IDK. I certainly these days don't even consider this brand for anything. They have excellent marketing according to several friends' wives :)

ps to be fair, many of the males can't tell any differences in the Bose limitations either....but IME it's more the wives' decision before going bigger/better....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom