• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brand New to Forum: Trying to settle on a mini amp :(

NoxMorbis

I'm new. Abuse at will :)

I've been lurking for a long time, but now I need a new mini amp.

Some background on me.

I take care of my elderly mother full time, so I don't have much money. However, I still love audio!

I watched my dad build one of the first "transitor" "hi-fi" systems in 1964 (well, I was 3 years old but I still remember him working on it -- lol), a Heath Kit AMPLIFIER AA-21D and AJ43-D Tuner. Ours
HeathKit.png

was not the walnut case, but the steel with vinyl wrap above.

What the Walnut looked like new:
1679457865897.png

We listened to music on that from 1964 until 1990, when it started to burn out. You turned on the amp by pressing the far right off white square. It would give a nice, audible "click". There were lights in the top that actually would come on an illuminate the dials. The option we had was about $150.00 in 1964 for the amp and tuner! I guess we would call it the Preamp, now. lol

Anyway, just thought I would share that. Fast forward 59 years:

Back in 2019 I bought the Douk G3 mini amp, the original G3. I scraped together enough money for a pair of Klipsch R-51M speakers. Well, that's been my listening machine for the past 3 years. It has been ok.

A very long time ago, in a life far, far away. . .I had a old original Bose Acoustimass 3 Series II system I got while in college. It was long gone, but somehow I kept the active "bass module." It was 23 years old and had seen many garages over the last 15 years. Anyway, since I had it I wanted to try and make it work again, you know, since I am poor. hhaha. So anyway, I took it all apart, took the heat sink off, checked the transformer, cleaned out the amplifiers, and ended up re-soldering all of the amp chip connections since the solder joints were cracked.

Bose.png

From a review I did back in 2020, I got a free Aiyima A05 with dual 3116D chips and a sub out. So I put the Bose bass module back together and, IT WORKED! I also heard some sort of "boof boof" sound when I put my head near the box. I initially thought it might be a bad spider in the little 5 1/4" speaker, but I took it apart and inspected it and it was in amazing shape. Still, I bought a Dayton woofer to test to see it it was the original woofer, and it wasn't. So now I had like 50 bucks (had to buy a long shaft driver for my Makita drill to reach down into the box also) in that POS old thing and still have that woof sound, like escaping air or something. You couldn't hear it sitting 5 feet away, but it was there and so it had to go.

I contemplated putting the entire thing, without the guts, into a hot box until the glue released, and then re-glue everything to see if it might have been a loose glue connection, after 23 years. I found a guy on Youtube that did one. It's pretty amazing. It's a 6th order box. Crazy. I always wondered how they got so much bass out of such as small box and 5.25" speaker, even though it was far from accurate.

I also thought if that didn't work, I'd pull the guts out of it, and use one of the mini sub amplifiers to power it.

Anyway, while enjoying my handiwork and contemplating how I would go about finding the time and place to actually heat it up and completely tear it down and put it back together, I heard pop, crackle, pop. I knew one or more of the 23 year old caps blew. I decided to save the speakers for some future project and just dump the rest of it, box included. It was time to get rid of the past.

However, getting that little Bose bass module to work reminded me how much I missed a sub. (I listen to mostly to smooth jazz and at lower levels, so there just isn't any warmth. I miss that.)

So I sold some electronics I had around, and came up with enough money to buy a relatively cheap sub (Kanto Sub8, old version). I contacted Aiyima about how the old A05 amp compared to their newer amps, and they said not even close.

Anyway I have the Klipsch R-51M speakers and I just purchased a Kanto Sub 8, since I got it for $179.00. I'm using the old Aiyima A05 amp, but I want a new one. It's a little harsh and the sub out is not right.

After reading this forum for days now and other reviews also, I'm more vexed than ever about what to buy. I know the new Ti 3055 amp is the shit. But then Douk and Aiyima have the class AB hybrid tube amps out also. Anyway, after all of this, I was leaning toward either the Douk H7 or the Aiyima A08 Pro. The H7 does NOT have a sub out. It's a pass through line out, so that's a big no.

Parameters:

(1) I'm a BT streamer. (I know, I know.)
(2) I have a Startech BT aptX HD sink that uses a Wolfson DAC. (WM8524 Wolfson DAC, Thd+N@1kHz at -80dB & signal to noise ration (SNR@1kHz) at 129dB)
(3) I also have the Lavaudio DS601 that, too me, sounds like shit and has all sorts of Windows problems, such as maxing out Windows volume on restarts. I edited Win registry to disable Absolute volume, but it didn't work.
(4) My main concern is whatever amp I get, I just want one of these amps that is as clean as can be expected with a sub out (amp volume controls sub volume).

I've literally looked at all of them under $250.00, which is my max.

Aiyima A07: I think if I could use the Aiyima A07 and somehow get sub out and volume control, I'd do that. But the line out is not a volume controlled out. I did look at the A07 Pro and read the thread here, but it's the same thing with the line out as the A07 and the Douk H7 -- pass through.

Douk B100: I was also seriously considering the Douk B100. However, I can't find ANY technical reviews on it. I really like the looks of the B100, but it's class AB and around 25 watts at mystery Ohms and inefficient as a jack hammer hitting a nail. It's also plain old Bluetooth, no aptX nothing, which is wasted electronics. If I understgand AB vs D correctly, all of the AB power rating is usable with very low distortion, unlike the Class D which is about 50% usable?

Aiyima 08 Pro: Incidentally, on Amazon two days ago, the Aiyima 08 pro was on sale for $112.00! Now it's $139.00 with a 15.00 off coupon.

Douk ST-01 PRO: I was also seriously considering the Douk ST-01 PRO. There is a review of the Douk Audio ST-01 on Youtube that shows very bad distortion on the line level output measuring voltage and THD using a Panasonic Distortion Meter VP-7704P. At 1.6V RMS the meter showed over 10% THD. At 1V THD was still 6.4%. You can find the review on the Youtube channel "Williston Audio Labs" Douk Audio ST-01 review. I contacted Douk about it and they admitted it but said it was normal for most amplifiers.

"The THD should be tested with 0.775V input and 1W output. In this condition, its THD should be 0.01%. All amplifier will make higher THD when the output is higher. For this comment, the maximum output of the line out is 2V. 1.6V is reaching the maximum value. So the THD would be much higher than usual. We don't want to find an excuse for it. But this issue is quite normal for most amplifiers on the market." -- Douk Audio

I asked what the voltage would be at half power, and they said 1V. So still 6.4% distortion at half volume on the sub out.

In any event, the STE1 PRO uses the 3250, which is rated at 100 watts per channel @ 4 Ohms, so that around 50 watts a channel into 8 Ohms minus 50% volume (to keep THD around 1% or less), so around 25 watts per channel usable into 8 Ohms. It also has plain old Bluetooth, which is, again, a waste for me.

So that leaves me with the Aiyima A08 Pro, for the best options for me, or maybe the B100 or the Douk STE1 Pro ( or AIYIMA T9 PRO, which I think is ugly because it mixes LED readout with tubes and the Douk STE1 Por looks so much better.)

Is there any reason to get a class AB like the Douk B100?

Any input is appreciated!

Last edited:

macauley86

I use an Aiyima T9 Pro with Klipsch RP-150M, with an iPhone as a source connected via RCA input. It sounds pretty good, clean, detailed, and non-fatiguing. Volume goes from 0 to 100, and when it’s set to 25, it already fills my small home office with sound. Set to 35 or 40, it’s very loud.

I don’t use the 32v 5a AC adapter that came with it, as I wouldn’t feel safe leaving it plugged into the wall. I use a 24v 5a Shnitpwr AC adapter I purchased on Amazon. It’s better built and certified.

I also almost pulled the trigger on the B100, as I like the looks better than the T9 Pro*, but there are no tech specs and it seems to be built like crap. It also has no remote.

.* When the T9 Pro is off, it looks like an owl with a black eye. I call mine Hedwig. When it’s on, the display with the volume level is nice, though.

Last edited:
OP
N

NoxMorbis

I use an Aiyima T9 Pro with Klipsch RP-150M, with an iPhone as a source connected via RCA input. It sounds pretty good, clean, detailed, and non-fatiguing. Volume goes from 0 to 100, and when it’s set to 25, it already fills my small home office with sound. Set to 35 or 40, it’s very loud.

I don’t use the 32v 5a AC adapter that came with it, as I wouldn’t feel safe leaving it plugged into the wall. I use a 24v 5a Shnitpwr AC adapter I purchased on Amazon. It’s better built and certified.

I also almost pulled the trigger on the B100, as I like the looks better than the T9 Pro*, but there are no tech specs and it seems to be built like crap. It also has no remote.

.* When the T9 Pro is off, it looks like an owl with a black eye. I call mine Hedwig. When it’s on, the display with the volume level is nice, though.
"I don’t use the 32v 5a AC adapter that came with it, as I wouldn’t feel safe leaving it plugged into the wall." LOL.

I haven't torn any of them apart, but the Aiyima PSUs look better than the Douk, at least on my two older samples.

I'm still not sold on the tube hybrid sounding any better than transistors, though. Class D is the future, but AB is, from what I've read, nice sounding, just power hogs.

The B100 does look nice. It's a conversation piece of its own right. Like you, I'm not buying anything unless I can read the specs. I'm sure if we contacted Douk they could provide the information, but the fact they don't put it on their website suggests, to me, that those internals can change anytime.

Can't realy argue with the T9 Pro, except they are proud of it at $169.00 on Amazon. The Douk version,Douk Audio ST-01 PRO, is 139.99 and virtually the same thing. But the Line out noise has turned me off (as reported above). However, Douk is probably right when they say that at half volume, you aren't going to hear the distortion anyway. Still makes me think, "yuck."

It seems like the best option for me is the Aiyima 08 Pro. It's been reviewed here and has nice specs. I guess I can add a tube preamp later for visuals. lol

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the choice of Aiyima 08 Pro makes sense, but as you may have noticed in the review it's load-sensitive and at 8ohm (which the klipsch are, supposedly) it gets funky in the upper treble region. So for that reason I might look elsewhere, I'd rather have flat response than 300w.

Standard question here, are you doing EQ or anything before the BT output? It sounds like you have a PC in there, and if you're not already doing the REW / EQAPO thing, it's a great idea. Even on a budget you could get a UMIK-1 on ebay then sell it when you're done. Probably the biggest improvement in sound you can make for a temporary outlay of ~$80. This would also give you a backstop against any unwanted interactions between the speakers and the 08 Pro.

OP
N

NoxMorbis

I think the choice of Aiyima 08 Pro makes sense, but as you may have noticed in the review it's load-sensitive and at 8ohm (which the klipsch are, supposedly) it gets funky in the upper treble region. So for that reason I might look elsewhere, I'd rather have flat response than 300w.

Standard question here, are you doing EQ or anything before the BT output? It sounds like you have a PC in there, and if you're not already doing the REW / EQAPO thing, it's a great idea. Even on a budget you could get a UMIK-1 on ebay then sell it when you're done. Probably the biggest improvement in sound you can make for a temporary outlay of ~$80. This would also give you a backstop against any unwanted interactions between the speakers and the 08 Pro.
I am going through my PC using Music Bee and it's built in DSP 15 band EQ.

I did take into account the 8 Ohms load thing, and I don't like it, but is it going to really screw it up for me? I just punched the button and ordered it, but I can always return it. Exactly how is that going to affect sound and what can I realistically do about it?

As pointed out above, the Douk STE1 Pro has 10% distortion at 1.6 Volts and 6.4% distortion on the line/sub out. If possible, and I can take care of the Aiyima Pro with an EQ, I'd rather have that problem than distortion. Who knows, maybe the distortion on the 08 pro is similar to that of the Douk. Douk said it was so for all amplifiers of this sort.

The 300 watts is good, imo, for having to use less power for the same output, which means less distortion. If I'm using only 15 watts, is the upper treble problem still going to be there, or only at higher wattage?

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping MX3s maybe? All in one DAC + headphone amp + speaker amp with BT and sub out for 170 USD, SINAD 93 and about 58W into 4 ohms (THD+N 1%).

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is it going to really screw it up for me? I just punched the button and ordered it, but I can always return it. Exactly how is that going to affect sound and what can I realistically do about it?

The 8ohm thing is going to add about 0.5dB at 10khz and 1dB at 20khz which is pretty negligible all things considered. If you were a young kid with perfect hearing, it might be noticeable, most people will experience this as a very subtle increase in brightness / sparkle, if you hear any change at all.

The actual impact might be different than this... if the Klipsch speakers have really funny impedance curves, the effect on FR might also be funny. Probably not a showstopper.

Either way a solution could be EQ. A 15-band EQ is better than nothing, but EQAPO is a windows app that gives you unlimited bands, so whatever issues crop up, you can fix. There are tutorials on using it on this site and elsewhere, it's really powerful in combination with REW, which is used with a mic to measure the frequency response of your speaker and/or room.

Klipsch speakers aren't known for super-flat responses, (if the 51 is much like the 41, then there are some issues) but with EQ you can probably do really well. Measuring and correcting with system EQ is a great way to stretch your dollar, since the EQ and measurement software are free.

The MX3s is not a bad option. The 51s claim 93dB sensitivity and only 85w cont. power handling, so you don't need 300w to get loud. In theory you are giving up about 8dB at peak, but my guess is the topping amp will be much cleaner than the Aiyima for 99% of what comes out of the speakers.

OP
N

NoxMorbis

Topping MX3s maybe? All in one DAC + headphone amp + speaker amp with BT and sub out for 170 USD, SINAD 93 and about 58W into 4 ohms (THD+N 1%).

Wow, is this thing for real? I mean has it been tested here? Gotta run right now, but what DAC does it use? It looks perfect. (Too good to be true!) Nice, man, thanks.

OP
N

NoxMorbis

The 8ohm thing is going to add about 0.5dB at 10khz and 1dB at 20khz which is pretty negligible all things considered. If you were a young kid with perfect hearing, it might be noticeable, most people will experience this as a very subtle increase in brightness / sparkle, if you hear any change at all.

The actual impact might be different than this... if the Klipsch speakers have really funny impedance curves, the effect on FR might also be funny. Probably not a showstopper.

Either way a solution could be EQ. A 15-band EQ is better than nothing, but EQAPO is a windows app that gives you unlimited bands, so whatever issues crop up, you can fix. There are tutorials on using it on this site and elsewhere, it's really powerful in combination with REW, which is used with a mic to measure the frequency response of your speaker and/or room.

Klipsch speakers aren't known for super-flat responses, (if the 51 is much like the 41, then there are some issues) but with EQ you can probably do really well. Measuring and correcting with system EQ is a great way to stretch your dollar, since the EQ and measurement software are free.

The MX3s is not a bad option. The 51s claim 93dB sensitivity and only 85w cont. power handling, so you don't need 300w to get loud. In theory you are giving up about 8dB at peak, but my guess is the topping amp will be much cleaner than the Aiyima for 99% of what comes out of the speakers.
No don't need 300 watts. I was using the single chip 31165D2 form the original Douk G3 and enver had total volume over 30%. Wayyyyy to loud for me. It's just that using a higher power chip allows lower volumes settings, and thus lower distortion levels.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, is this thing for real? I mean has it been tested here? Gotta run right now, but what DAC does it use? It looks perfect. (Too good to be true!) Nice, man, thanks.
I got the SINAD reading from the manufacturer's provided graphs, but Topping is not one to cheat on graphs. They had reliability issues in the past so better buy from someplace easy to return if needed. It is a new product and has not been tested by our host @amirm though I bet it is in his queue to do so. I would definitely give it a try.

DAC chip

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor

The MX3s appears to use the Qualcomm QCC3040 Bluetooth chip for USB, optical and coaxial inputs, instead of the usual XMOS and AKM chips.
That's why their input is limited to 24bit/192kHz files.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No don't need 300 watts. I was using the single chip 31165D2 form the original Douk G3 and enver had total volume over 30%. Wayyyyy to loud for me. It's just that using a higher power chip allows lower volumes settings, and thus lower distortion levels.
Topping tends to be really good in terms of distortion and noise, so you should be pretty happy with the MX3s. It will probably get reviewed here sooner or later, but if you check their other power amps that have been reviewed so far, they tend to have good-to-great performance depending on price point.

FWIW I just ordered myself a DX5 Lite from the same brand, for a similar use case, 2CH + sub out. I just have external power amps and want the XLR output, but it's a pretty similar situation.

Last edited:
OP
N

NoxMorbis

Topping tends to be really good in terms of distortion and noise, so you should be pretty happy with the MX3s. It will probably get reviewed here sooner or later, but if you check their other power amps that have been reviewed so far, they tend to have good-to-great performance depending on price point.

FWIW I just ordered myself a DX5 Lite from the same brand, for a similar use case, 2CH + sub out. I just have external power amps and want the XLR output, but it's a pretty similar situation.

It says on the Amazon page it uses a Infinion "Merus" class D chip, 8 Ohms at 30 watts per channel, less than 1% THD. That's pretty good. What would be the next step up in the Topping line be (given the same options as the MX3s)?

Also, Aiyima doesn't list power at less than 1% like Topping does. However, the TI website does for the chip itself.

TI 3255 specs from the website: https://www.ti.com/document-viewer/tpa3255/datasheet
Figure 8. Output Power vs Supply Voltage
It looks like the 36 V PSU does 70 watts per channel into 8 Ohms = 1% THD. (That's for one chip)

Anyone concur?

Anyway, I don't know enough about electrical engineering to go any further down the rabbit hole.

On the Aiyima site it does state rated power and max power: https://www.aiyima.com/collections/...lificador-vu-meter-amp?variant=39811010723915

I'm assuming rated is at 1% or less THD+N?

If so, then from the chart:

36V 6A @ 8 Ohms = 85W (I'm assuming that's per side?)

Last edited:
OP
N

NoxMorbis

Just an update on the B100. Douk replied and said it is 25 watts x2 into 4 Ohms (from Amazon questions area).
Hello. It is 25W x2 @ 4ohms.
default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

DoukAudio
Seller · March 23, 2023

Wow, that seems really low.

OP
N

NoxMorbis

Also got a reply in the Aiyima 08 Pro review thread that using the 36V 6A PSU will give 75 watts per channel @ 8 Ohms at 1% or less THD. WOW.

Top Bottom