• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Braided audio cable

babar

Forum Donor
are there any advantages or differences between using a 4x or higher braided cable. picture attached of a 4.4 mm to 4.4mm cable from satinaudio. any other cable to connect a dap line out would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_0466.png
    IMG_0466.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Nope. All of them has the same disadvantage of being non-shielded. The only sensible choice for non-balanced line level signals is coax cable.

Sole "advantage" of those cables, is that they look fancy. Even if it manages to get some twisted pair -action going, it won't do much with single ended connections.

babar

Forum Donor
Nope. All of them has the same disadvantage of being non-shielded. The only sensible choice for non-balanced line level signals is coax cable.

Sole "advantage" of those cables, is that they look fancy. Even if it manages to get some twisted pair -action going, it won't do much with single ended connections.
The input on the CR08 is 4.4mm and the LO on the RS8 is also 4.4mm so a coax will not work.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The input on the CR08 is 4.4mm and the LO on the RS8 is also 4.4mm so a coax will not work.

I assumed by "4.4mm" you meant a single ended line level output using 4.4mm jack plugs?

If that's the case, then coax will definitely work, since 99.9% of all jack-to-jack cables on the market already are coax :)

RCA connectors are not the thing that defines a coax cable ;)

EDIT: Alright, just had a look at the HiBy RS8 product page. So, it's 4.4mm balanced outputs.

Just get any cheap balanced cable with 4.4mm jacks from a no-nonsense brand. Those will be shielded twisted pair, which is what you want.

Forget about that SatinAudio BS.

Last edited:

babar

Forum Donor
I have attached the pictures of the two devices [HiBy RS8 and HiBy CR08] I want to connect. Also pictures is the 4.4mm interconnect which I am currently using and would like to upgrade.

what cable would you recommend. a link would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_5372 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5372 Large.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5371 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5371 Large.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 33

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
what cable would you recommend. a link would be helpful.

Stick with what you already got. No link needed.

Cables do not* live in the land of "upgrade", other than looks and sturdiness ;)

The only good reason to replace them would be if they were abysmally made and/or showing mechanical failures.

*assuming their construction comply to basic industry standards.

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
For IEM's and closed back headphones, cable does make a difference, and I do not mean electrically. The mechanical properties of the cable are very important! You want a cable that is non-microphonic (I have found that braided cables are superior in this regard, don't ask me to explain why). There are also other features that are nice to have, e.g. tangle resistance, secure terminations, and (for IEM's) memory wire for looping around your ear.

egellings

Major Contributor
And if I braid coax cables, it won't make a difference then. It's just for the looks i would braid, but i don't want disadvantages...
Cables tend to hide behind equipment on racks, so appearance is not that big a deal, since you typically don't see them while in use anyway.

Top Bottom