• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brad Mehldau-After Bach classification

Martini

Forum Donor
Just downloaded this and trying to decide which genre to sort it under. In Audirvana it defaults to Jazz, but don't hear much of what I would classify as Jazz, more Classical and abstraction. I'm leaning toward throwing under Classical, but haven't finished listening through it yet.:) Thoughts?

jae

Major Contributor
I have a script that I run on all new music I add to my collection, one of its many functions is deleting/wiping any contents in the 'genre' tag. I've not had your problem for a long time :)

Koloth

I have a script that I run on all new music I add to my collection, one of its many functions is deleting/wiping any contents in the 'genre' tag. I've not had your problem for a long time :)

I would be interested to learn what kind of playback solution you use.

I also find genre designations mostly useless: About 60% of what I listen to falls under the country/roots/americana/bluegrass/folk/folk rock -umbrella. I see no intellectual value in attempting any more granular systematization - especially since that would force me to label stuff on a track-basis instead of an album or even artist basis, which is incredibly time-consuming and fucks with playback software.

However, simply pressing shuffle/randomized play on my entire library and doing away with categorization alltogether isnt satisfactory either: I dont really want to listen to Five Finger Death Punch while relaxing before going to bed, or to The Little Drummer Boy in the middle of summer.

The solution would obviously be to make use of the "mood"- instead of the "genre"-tag: mellow / upbeat / pathetic / sexytime (#humblebrag ?) / etc. I havent found any playback software on mobile (Android, unfortunately) and desktop (Win) to access that mood tag though...

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Thoughts?
Why does it matter? All genre classifications are by nature imperfect generalisations and approximations. The vast majority of the music I listen to exists on the cusp between jazz, rock, classical, folk and ... noise. If jazz-rock or folk-pop is a thing, then why not jazz-classical? Either it's music you want to listen to or it's music you don't want to listen to ...

jae

Major Contributor
I would be interested to learn what kind of playback solution you use.

I also find genre designations mostly useless: About 60% of what I listen to falls under the country/roots/americana/bluegrass/folk/folk rock -umbrella. I see no intellectual value in attempting any more granular systematization - especially since that would force me to label stuff on a track-basis instead of an album or even artist basis, which is incredibly time-consuming and fucks with playback software.

However, simply pressing shuffle/randomized play on my entire library and doing away with categorization alltogether isnt satisfactory either: I dont really want to listen to Five Finger Death Punch while relaxing before going to bed, or to The Little Drummer Boy in the middle of summer.

The solution would obviously be to make use of the "mood"- instead of the "genre"-tag: mellow / upbeat / pathetic / sexytime (#humblebrag ?) / etc. I havent found any playback software on mobile (Android, unfortunately) and desktop (Win) to access that mood tag though...

On windows, I use foobar2000 for playback (bulk tagging on windows is done with the indispensable mp3tag software). I have been meaning to give roon another try but have not got around to doing so yet.

I almost exclusively listen to full albums and generally browse by album artist so my library setup is quite minimal- a listening session for me involves manually scrolling through my collection and picking what album I am in the mood to listen to. If I don't feel like listening to anything in particular I queue up new albums that I may not listened to yet or search for new music, which usually involves further researching an artist in my collection I don't now much about, finding other artists associated with them, or finding similar artists on youtube/streaming services.

Foobar is highly customizable (maybe too customizable) and you can choose to list, display, or search by non-standard/custom embedded tags no problem. On android I use USB Audio Player Pro which is probably the best music software for android but I believe the library cannot be viewed by custom tags and only be viewed by the standard album, album artist, genre etc. (it also has a playlist view). One solution to your problem would be to just reappropriate the standard "genre" tag as your de facto "mood" tag, so that there is high compatibility with most common software if you access your collection with multiple apps/devices.

I don't personally use them but I'd think the most obvious solution would just be to go through your whole collection and just make playlists for your various "moods" in your playback software of choice- that's essentially what playlists are for after all. You can then shuffle your playlist, play it by album, sequential order etc. with ease. Practically all playback software has a playlist feature.

Coincidentally, I am listening to a Christmas album in summer. I must be depressed.
Rkfj61B.png

Last edited:
OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Third Stream? Is there an option for that?
Thanks, Third Stream would probably be the best designation for it.:) But, unless I get a couple more like this, I don't think it's worth creating a separate category for it. I did enjoy it though.

SMc

Classical crossover. See, also, Jacques Loussier.

aedagnino

Thanks, Third Stream would probably be the best designation for it.:) But, unless I get a couple more like this, I don't think it's worth creating a separate category for it. I did enjoy it though.

If it were me I'd take it as an invitation to seek more stuff like it! Happy hunting...

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Why does it matter? All genre classifications are by nature imperfect generalisations and approximations. The vast majority of the music I listen to exists on the cusp between jazz, rock, classical, folk and ... noise. If jazz-rock or folk-pop is a thing, then why not jazz-classical? Either it's music you want to listen to or it's music you don't want to listen to ...
True, genre classifications are often generalizations and sometimes big compromises in the true style of music. And I've made some of those compromises in designation myself. Such as, Roxy Music's Avalon album, it probably deserves it's own category outside of Rock, but I leave it there with their other albums. When I listen at home, I don't do playlist or random, I listen to full albums. I usually approach it knowing at least what genre I'm in the mood for: Classical, Blues, Jazz, Rock, etc. And, from there I scroll through the artist and pick (further filtering) what grabs me.

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
Classical crossover. See, also, Jacques Loussier.
Fusion/cross-over hasn't really grabbed me yet. I have a bunch of Miles Davis, but not Bitches Brew, which everyone claims is a "must have." However, each time I sample it, I'm left wondering if I'm going to enjoy this? But I'll check him out, as you never know what might bite. Thanks

SMc

Fusion/cross-over hasn't really grabbed me yet. I have a bunch of Miles Davis, but not Bitches Brew, which everyone claims is a "must have." However, each time I sample it, I'm left wondering if I'm going to enjoy this? But I'll check him out, as you never know what might bite. Thanks
Fusion crossover is between jazz and rock or r&b. The Miles work closest to classical crossover is Sketches of Spain inspired by Spanish composers de Falla and Rodrigo as well as Spanish folk songs.

Top Bottom