• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BOXEM Audio | Arthur 4215/E2 Purifi Amplifier | Owners' Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23424
  • Start date

gaburko

I just received my Arthur and it's now hooked up to my KEF R3s via a MiniDSP SHD. This setup replaced an RME ADI-2 DAC with a Rega Elicit R. I have not even played with the MiniDSP yet, but I wanted to share 3 observations:

1. Built quality is absolutely outstanding. I knew already that this is a high-quality built, but seeing it and touching it "in real" is just to reconfirm to everyone out there: you're getting a very very high quality built.
2. I live in Switzerland and one of the reasons to look for a replacement of my Rega is the fact that we don't have air-conditioning and in my current setup, the Rega was squeezed a bit between the shelves. This means it was overheating on a regular basis and in the months between may and september it was shutting itself off unless I had a fan blowing towards it. The Arthur is literally ambient temp. after 4 hours of continous playing this afternoon.
3. The customer service is nothing short of brilliant. I had 2 or 3 stupid questions along the decision-making process and Boxem responded to everything within hours and absolutely professionally.

Overall, I am not only a happy customer, but sharing this out loud is a small statement to the dedication to quality Boxem has. Highly reccomended!

Tom Schneider

I'm in the US and looking for an amplifier that will mate well with my KEF LS50 Metas. I also have a KEF KC62 sub and my pre-amp is crossing over the LS50s at 90Hz which will relieve some of the load on the main amp as well as the speakers themselves. Just wondering if anyone has a similar configuration with the Arthur 4215/E2 that they can share. Looks like it should be a great match but just testing the water before I pull the trigger. Already have one in my cart :)

Tom Schneider

A little more info. My listening room is my loft which is 16x18ft that opens up to a stairwell on the left side. Listening position is 8.5" away with the speakers ~7ft apart. Hardwood floors but my wife wants to buy a new rug for downstairs so I'm be inheriting a new rug for floor reflection dampening :) I listen to many different styles of music and with a couple glasses of wine we tend to hang out upstairs with friends and turn up the volume some while everyone takes a crack at picking music from Tidal. The LS50 Metas do have a limit on how loud they can play but doing a high pass at 90Hz does open them up to some degree. Given their sensitivity and nominal impedance they do feel like they can benefit from some power/headroom.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wondering if anyone has a similar configuration with the Arthur 4215/E2 that they can share. Looks like it should be a great match but just testing the water before I pull the trigger.
There's absolutely no reason it won't.;) State Of the Art amp, transparent speakers. LS50M are hungry boxes, but Purifi won't have any issue pushing them to their absolute limit, with clear and clean power.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I'm in the US and looking for an amplifier that will mate well with my KEF LS50 Metas. I also have a KEF KC62 sub and my pre-amp is crossing over the LS50s at 90Hz which will relieve some of the load on the main amp as well as the speakers themselves. Just wondering if anyone has a similar configuration with the Arthur 4215/E2 that they can share. Looks like it should be a great match but just testing the water before I pull the trigger. Already have one in my cart :)
Hi Tom,
I replied your email :).

Has anyone bought the middle version? Not looking like i can afford the top level one as it's double the price of the Arthur 3409/N2. I wanted to get something that would be an amp I can grow into, currently have speakers that can handle max load of 100w at 8Ω but looking for speakers with much higher, say close to 200w at 8Ω. Any ways, I'm not an expert but I have size restrictions in my setup or I'd buy the crazy heavy-duty weighs like a tone of bricks Outlaw 2220 Monoblocks as it would be around the same price.

ARTHUR 3409/N2

cwatt

Has anyone bought the middle version? Not looking like i can afford the top level one as it's double the price of the Arthur 3409/N2. I wanted to get something that would be an amp I can grow into, currently have speakers that can handle max load of 100w at 8Ω but looking for speakers with much higher, say close to 200w at 8Ω. Any ways, I'm not an expert but I have size restrictions in my setup or I'd buy the crazy heavy-duty weighs like a tone of bricks Outlaw 2220 Monoblocks as it would be around the same price.

ARTHUR 3409/N2

I did and have no regrets. I looked at all three ARTHUR models and ended up on the middle option - 3409/N2. For my use case I knew I did not need the Purifi version although I wanted it! I could have gone with the 2408/N2, however given the price difference I ended up with the 3409/N2. The money not spent on the Purifi version went towards speakers and a sub. I also am looking to purchase another amp so for the price of 1 Purifi amp I can purchase two ARTHUR Hypex amps.

Without knowing your requirements it is tough to provide a solid recommendation. Listening levels? Speakers? Sub(s) in the mix? Room size and distance from speakers? Preamp/AVR? etc. What is most important is establishing how much amplifier power you actually need for your listening requirements (sound pressure level and distance). There are online power amp calculators you can use as a rough guide.

VintageFlanker wrote a great review of the smallest ARTHUR amp. Perhaps this might fit your requirements?

Tom Schneider

Dumb question but did everyone receive a power cord with their amp? I did not so I'm stuck with looking for an appropriate power cord. It looks like a standard computer based three prong cord but just want to check.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Dumb question but did everyone receive a power cord with their amp? I did not so I'm stuck with looking for an appropriate power cord. It looks like a standard computer based three prong cord but just want to check.
Hi,

It is indicated on Boxem website that power cords are not included (unless you specifically ask for it).
Arthur requires standard C13 power cords.
You can use any standard ones you have (including computer 3 pongs cords).

Tom Schneider

Thanks and I completely missed that. I have a standard 3 prong arriving from Amazon tomorrow so it will be all good. I have my audio rack pulled out and everything setup so it will just be a matter of plugging in the amp.

Tom Schneider

Power cord arrived mid-day an I was dying since I've had to run meetings most the afternoon. I was finally able to plug in the Arthur and gather a few first impressions. First of all I'm already very impressed on open, transparent, and neutral sounds. Makes my LS50 Metas sound effortless and I'm hearing micro details in a couple songs I know very well that I did not hear in the past. I'll do more critical listening tomorrow morning but I'm more than happy!!

Top Bottom