• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

boXem Arthur 4222/E1 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 61 16.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 288 78.3%

• Total voters

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What other class D amplifiers do you know?
Apollon, ATI, Audiophonics, VTV, boXem Arthur, Buckeye. What yet?
Like... plenty.
Marantz
PS Audio
S.M.S.L
Nuprime
Topping
Hattor
Loxjie
T+A
Rouge Audio
NAD
Jeff Rowland
Monoprice
Elipson
Cambridge Audio
Peachtree
Even McIntosh (Multichannel amp)
And so on...

Ajax

Forum Donor
Well, we need to go from digital to analog to drive loudspeakers, and we need to control gain. Multichannel is no different from stereo in that respect (just > 2 channels). But as we can decode multichannel formats (including Dolby Atmos) on a source device, upstream of said DAC/pre-amp, we don't necessarily need/want an AVR/AVP. Especially as they don't usually measure well (with some exceptions at higher prices).

For a while I relied on source device software to adjust gain (in the context of playback volume) but doing that you are just one software glitch or user error away from a blown speaker so I'd say don't do that. When my existing stereo DAC failed and I decided to give myself the option of multichannel there were roughly two choices—exaSound or Okto—apart from pro audio interfaces (and only one you could actually buy). At least one more choice now, I'd say more is better.

Now I'm happy to have the DAC and pre-amp functions in one box, but separate boxes are also functional. From a Mac source it's straightforward to aggregate a number of stereo DACs for multichannel (Mr Rubinson did and wrote about this at length). Then you want something to control overall gain into the power amp stage.

But that remains a small market niche, so I'll not be expecting same from BoXem out of the gate.

Edit: added use case for analog box.
There is also the Topping DM7, 8 channel DAC for only US$599. Amir found it to measure very well. It has a USB input.

You could feed this into any number of hypex based amps with 4, 6 & 8 channels from the likes of Buckeye & Audiophonics.

Good luck

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I feel like a politician in front of an interviewer :facepalm:.

So, since you both kindly asked, let me tell you about these points ;).
  • active common mode rejection: to transmit a signal, two potential V+ and V- are needed. Differential voltage is defined as (V+ - V-), common mode voltage is defined as (V+ + V-)/2.
    To simplify, common mode is perturbations, differential is signal. All the game is to avoid perturbations to mix with signal, that is called common mode rejection.
    To do this, the idea is that the amplifier input presents an impedance as high as possible to common mode signals. With adequate topology and resistors tolerance, this is relatively easy to do. Until you add an EMI filter with it's capacitors whose impedance will dramatically decrease with frequency. 2 x 100 pF at 20 kHz is équivalent to 40 kOhm, far away from the MegOhm that we want to reach.
    Then enters Mr. Bill Witlock whose capacitive bootstrap technique patent is now in public domain. We can now have both excellent CM rejection at audio frequencies and good EMI rejection. Since this technique uses active components, we called it "active" common mode rejection.
  • ultra low noise buffer: for various reasons (bigger FETs but also modulator topology) the 1ET7040SA is 40% noisier than the 1ET400A.
    For the 4215/E2 we chose OPA1656 opamps for the buffer. Their low bias current allows both low DC at amplifier output (no thump at power on/down, less speaker distortion) and input impedance while their noise is low enough to allow excellent THD+N and SNR values.
    Since we knew that the cost per channel would be multiplied by two for the reasons that I explained previously, performance of the new amp had to be at least equal to the 4215/E2. Buffer noise had to at least decrease as much as the module noise increased.
    So bye bye OPA1656, hello OPA1612, a lot of work on the choice of resistors and the layout, then target was achieved. As shown by the measurements, the buffer has no footprint at low and medium gain.
    Some will notice that I didn't talk about low noise regulators. In addition to be in unobtainium, they are completely useless with modern opamps. So we don't use them for this application.
  • high pass response: OPA1612 has a quite high bias current, so if you mix it with an elevated input impedance, you will get a lot of DC at the output. Since we want our amps to be easy to drive, even with tubes, high input impedance is not negotiable. And high DC output is not acceptable. The solution was to AC couple the buffer to the module.
  • u-shaped buffer: I will leave some mystery here, but the members having followed the discussion around the glorified ribbon will understand.
..and this is how to do it :) not a plethora of silly custom OP-amps (hello nord ) in sigth , just be the engineer and pick the rigth parts for the job.
+ for not lovering the input impedance and still get stellar performance

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Right. As you said "SQ", I would have thought you implied that the measurable difference would be audible.

After this reply of yours, I have tried to imagine a situation where the difference would be audible. Perhaps with extremely sensitive speakers, there are some transducers that reach 111Db/W/m; then, MAYBE one could hear a difference in noise level.

But why on earth would a reasonable person drive such speakers with those Purifi amps?_

bkdc

Forum Donor
I’ll take issue with the amplifier. The 1ET7040sa is supposed to have beefier thermals to handle the heat of crazy loads but it is standard looking case without any additional cooling features. I’ve said in other threads that even the 1ET400a handles 2 ohms but is thermally limited. I’m sure the unit has stellar measurements but that is not the sole purpose of this amp.

The only massive heatsink designed case that I’ve seen appropriate for this module is the Apollon PET 950 which comes with a nosebleed price. I was hoping others would pay attention to the importance of cooling.

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I’ll take issue with the amplifier. The 1ET7040sa is supposed to have beefier thermals to handle the heat of crazy loads but it is standard looking case without any additional cooling features. I’ve said in other threads that even the 1ET400a handles 2 ohms but is thermally limited. I’m sure the unit has stellar measurements but that is not the sole purpose of this amp.

The only massive heatsink designed case that I’ve seen appropriate for this module is the Apollon PET 950 which comes with a nosebleed price. I was hoping others would pay attention to the importance of cooling.
@amirm did you experience thermal issues when testing the amplifier?

bkdc

Forum Donor
@amirm did you experience thermal issues when testing the amplifier?

Where is the documentation or review of this unit being pushed to its limits before shutoff. That is the only reason anyone buys this over the 1ET400a. Unless you just want bragging rights. The 1ET400a handles 2 ohm loads.

pickyAudiophile

Sadly none of these builds by boxem, Audiophonics and others comes at least with basic tone control (Bass, Treble in 1 dB steps -> I don't ask for anything more) just to offer a little bit of extra value.
I'm so happy ever since with amplifiers which have that feature built in. Currently running dual mono SMSL A300 with treble setting at +2 and bass at -1. If I ever wanted to keep these basic settings with a Purifi or NCore solution it would cost me so much more than just buying these power amps. While "ruining" their impressive specs with a preamp in the middle.

MCH

Major Contributor
Sadly none of these builds by boxem, Audiophonics and others comes at least with basic tone control (Bass, Treble in 1 dB steps -> I don't ask for anything more) just to offer a little bit of extra value.
I'm so happy ever since with amplifiers which have that feature built in. Currently running dual mono SMSL A300 with treble setting at +2 and bass at -1. If I ever wanted to keep these basic settings with a Purifi or NCore solution it would cost me so much more than just buying these power amps. While "ruining" their impressive specs with a preamp in the middle.
Well these are power amps, you will always need a preamp or something before, even if only for volume control...
People buying these have that solved (if they want to) upstream.

pickyAudiophile

Well these are power amps, you will always need a preamp or something before, even if only for volume control...
People buying these have that solved (if they want to) upstream.
I appreciate educative answers;). It's correct but remains on the dogmatic side of the argument. My comment wasn't about labelling or categorizing products, but features. Just to create a little bit of extra value which competitors may not offer. So anything of substance to object rather than educating about how a classic 3-link audio setup should look like?

Top Bottom