• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

boXem Arthur 4222/E1 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 62 16.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 288 77.8%

• Total voters

heraldo_jones

Which amps are half price or less, measure very similarly, AND have a similar power also at 2ohm?
You have Hypex Ncore series from VTV, Apollon or AudioPhonics for example. I don't know performance at 2ohm but I also don't know a commercial loudspeaker rated at that power. My own Hypex UCD400 custom amp measured 102db when I measured it years ago.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know performance at 2ohm but I also don't know a commercial loudspeaker rated at that power.
No speaker is rated at 2Ω nominal nowadays, but plenty do have minimal impedance at 3Ω and below.
My own Hypex UCD400 custom amp measured 102db when I measured it years ago.
THD+N @1Khz, 5W, 4Ω? I very much doubt it.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Excellent product, excellent measurement, fair price. Power seems to me good enough for any domestic applications I can think of. Fit and finish seems also first grade. To achieve meaningful and audible volume improvements I typically need x4 the power in a new replacement amp, if your speakers can accomodate the Watts.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I'm not happy to see that the measured performance here is not consistent with the one published on Purifi's official specification sheets.
The official spec is reserved to manufacturers but you have access to it while not being a manufacturer. Intriguing...
We could stop here, but...
This is my 1et400a based streo amp, single channel driven, 2 Ohms
View attachment 234705
The 1ET400A are limited to 450W 1% in 2 Ohm by firmware but you show a measurement with the modules pulling 580W at 1%. No further comment, we can stop the discussion here.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
You have Hypex Ncore series from VTV, Apollon or AudioPhonics for example. I don't know performance at 2ohm but I also don't know a commercial loudspeaker rated at that power. My own Hypex UCD400 custom amp measured 102db when I measured it years ago.

All the amps you are mentioning do not have the same power at 2ohm. You need a NC1200 for that, and please look at the prices.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1ET400A is an Amplifier unit not a Power supply unit.

Well, you wrote:
With this amp, it is better to use 1ET400A or Improved Power ssupply capable to fully feed the 1ET7040SlA.

So, technically, this amp uses the same power supply than the stereo Purifi 1ET400 but for one single channel.
Which, in my view, is a serious improvement.
At least for current.

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Though I never see the reason to apply the same distance for speaker connections. Just because they are using banana plugs? They are now even illegal in some regions. 19mm is too small to bind speaker cables.

If you have "audiophile style" speaker cables, yeah, they are too close. I doubt those cables are even considered here.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Great performance,close to rated company specs,except power.
Apart from PS,is it the form factor and case size restricting the full specs implementation?

thin bLue

Reviewer
Well, you wrote:

So, technically, this amp uses the same power supply than the stereo Purifi 1ET400 but fir one single channel.
Which, in my view, is a serious improvement.
Power supply units and Amp units are separate items.

And I said, 1ET7040SA should do more.

Yes, this result can be meant serious improvement to you.
But, I see '1ET7040SA with fairly limited power by PSU and possibility of further improvements limited by builder' from same data and comments you've seen.

I do not mention about details more. due to sustain fidelity of threads and prevent possible conflicts with
The official spec is reserved to manufacturers but you have access to it while not being a manufacturer. Intriguing...
We could stop here, but...

The 1ET400A are limited to 450W 1% in 2 Ohm by firmware but you show a measurement with the modules pulling 580W at 1%. No further comment, we can stop the discussion here.

Members and users are capable to judge themselves. so i think my job is done here.

I hope my comments help.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have "audiophile style" speaker cables, yeah, they are too close. I doubt those cables are even considered here.
@amirm routinely complains that his cables doesn’t fit easily.

The fact I’m making is that 19mm distance is not used anywhere. It’s a blind following.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm routinely complains that his cables doesn’t fit easily.

The fact I’m making is that 19mm distance is not used anywhere. It’s a blind following.
With my locking connectors I need to be able to turn the knob. Close connectors make this hard. In this day and age. I don't see people using rigid dual connectors. So I definitely prefer wider spacing.

Fleuch

2 of these cost 1500 EU tax included, more than twice the price for a few extra watts is wild.
The cost of the audiophonics.fr amplifiers based on the Purifi modules is attractive, agreed.

The two channel implementation has a tremendous write up from Amir (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ics-hpa-s400et-review-stereo-amplifier.32014/) noting the "Purifi 1ET400A modules [are] fed by their own custom buffer/pre-amp gain stage". Audiophonics do not specify the op amps used in the buffers, but cannot be any other than very good, given the review. Unfortunately I am unable to find a dual-mono version on the web page, which would allow the buffer boards to be upgraded at some point in the future. It does not look like it is possible to replace the buffer board(s) with a drop-in upgrade.

On the monoblock versions there is a wiring cluster over the buffer boards with a very tight fit in the case, making may or may not make a difference.

The Audiophonics HPA-S400ET is great value, based on Amir's review, but, given the layout of the monoblocks and the narrow-case two channel amplifiers, the measured performance may be a shade below that of the of the review sample.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bet they will offer a stereo unit at some point in the future.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereo would not fit inside the standard chassi Fred uses, so only if he gets a 2nd larger chassis, but then diminishing economies of scale, etc.

Top Bottom