• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

boXem ARTHUR 2408/N2 Teardown (Class D Amp)

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Is the inner case painted/powder coated rather than anodized? Not sure how else to get such a large area of bare metal.

Lovely build though, inspiring for us DIY'ers.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Is the inner case painted/powder coated rather than anodized? Not sure how else to get such a large area of bare metal.

Lovely build though, inspiring for us DIY'ers.
Painted. I have to admit that I got some inspiration from the computer builders. Except the RGB LEDs :p.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Many holes are drilled which increase the surface area of the case to allow better convection cooling.
I think the holes keep the surface area pretty constant, if not even reducing it (plus reducing thermal intertia by removing material!).
Pretty sure the point is simple: ventilation (through convection, yes).

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Looks like boXem has more powerful models https://boxem-audio.eu/en/5-stereo-amplifiers
I wonder which Hypex modules are they based on?

judging from prouduct descriptions, possibly https://www.hypex.nl/product/nc250mp-oem/74 or https://www.hypex.nl/product/nc252mp-oem/76

and https://purifi-audio.com/eigentakt/

it's a bit strange that the most powerful model is from a different family, not ncore.
The 3409/N2 is based on one Hypex NC252MP.
The 4215/E2 is based on two Purifi 1ET400A.

57gold

Hey Mr boXem, good looking builds. Planning on building an amp with the new higher powered/current Purifi unit? Interested if you couple it with a power supply that enables it to deliver fully on its 2 ohm capabilities, have inefficient but great sounding speakers. Might need a bigger case.

Looking forward to visiting Luxembourg, got close on visits to France, Germany, and Belgium. My wife has a great, great grandfather who is from Clervaux area, but married a German merchant's daughter and moved to Eisenach. So a visit is on the "finding your roots" travel agenda; been to Eisenach and Freiburg, Munstertal, Ulm, Graz, Pernau and have not even started on her English ancestors who go back to the Mayflower. I come from simpler people, one trip to western Ireland and we covered the entire family tree.

As a Roman history buff, have been wanting to visit Trier, which is nearby.

Zoomer

Congrats with the great review and teardown.
Love the orange faceplates in the product range, is this the Verstappen Edition? :cool:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nicely done!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why better performence?
I'll await boXem's response, but can report anecdotally that I spent most of 2020 hiding out at high altitude in super-dry air - 8% RH was typical - and I had three disparate things fail. The only thing in common was ribbon cable inside of each. Static buildup, I assumed. Would love to know if that's a known issue, or just unlucky.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll await boXem's response, but can report anecdotally that I spent most of 2020 hiding out at high altitude in super-dry air - 8% RH was typical - and I had three disparate things fail. The only thing in common was ribbon cable inside of each. Static buildup, I assumed. Would love to know if that's a known issue, or just unlucky.
But there is already a ribbon cable in-line to that PCB.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Already replied few posts above. There is a groundplane to shield against el. field and also prevents capacitive coupling.
But why not just use a twisted pair or even shielded cable to connect the input PCB with the signal detection circuitry directly to the amplifier module?

Why use a PCB to PCB connector, then a large PCB and then a ribbon cable with two more connectors on each end. I can’t see any benefit from those extra connectors and conductors.

Top Bottom