• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

boXem ARTHUR 2408/N2 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 141 59.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 87 36.6%

• Total voters

pma

Major Contributor
Would be nice if @amirm could export the data from AP to some sort of standard CVS format so we don't have to to this hacker and can just choose how we want to plot it an compared to what.

Do you mean something like this?

Attachments

• distortion.zip
    646 bytes · Views: 60

Lambda

Major Contributor
Do you mean something like this?
Yes. Having the raw data is the first and most impotent step if you want to have it comparable.

Next step is to visualize the data. Can be done in a (google) spreadsheet but something like grafana would be way better.

Having something like this would be awesome.

1639755053965.png

What is the point of having a huge database if you can’t search it.

If i want to know for example whats amp has the lowest distortion at 20W and and over 100W of power there is no way to search for this now.

Last edited:

aschen

It's hard to see the value proposition of an NC122MP when the NC252MP (and products based on it) are barely more expensive. The 252MP-based Boxem is 100 euros more, or roughly 15% more for double the power. Even in more bargain basement products the price difference is small.

Agreed. Especially for the xlr only market just spend a bit more even if you might not need the extra power.

Id pop for the orange faceplate as well, looks cool and unique

Gremlins

Great finally a measurement review of the boXem Arthur and it looks the goods! :cool:

Always thought this baby would measure well, so great to see it does. @boXem | audio well done and I'm sure the teardown will show your careful and good work.

JSmith
Nit certain why we should compliment this brand as it is using hypex modules.

The guy is just assembling moduled, isnt it?

pma

Major Contributor
That’s correct, however you need qualification and experience to make it well. We could see many mistakes in some of other implementations. They are revealed by both measurements and visual inspection.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It never fails to amuse me when I read complaints to the effect of: "$1,200?? Robbery!! I could buy the components and the case for only $900 and assemble it myself!!"

Many of us are not hobbyists interested in soldering, screwing tiny screws and sanding off sharp edges. I'd never be able to assemble a working model at all, myself, even with excellent detailed instructions.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It never fails to amuse me when I read complaints to the effect of: "$1,200?? Robbery!! I could buy the components and the case for only $900 and assemble it myself!!"

Many of us are not hobbyists interested in soldering, screwing tiny screws and sanding off sharp edges. I'd never be able to assemble a working model at all, myself, even with excellent detailed instructions.
... and one needs to purchase all sorts of tools if they don't already have them and that gets expensive fast.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Nit certain why we should compliment this brand as it is using hypex modules.

This not only about "assembling modules"...
First, correct implementation as quite often assembled units have lower results than hypex specs.
And also bringing features such as auto sense and providing quality build / materials.
That makes the difference !

Staki

Forum Donor
I'm happy to see @boXem | audio amp do well in the test. I own the 3409/N2 since about a year ago and it is fantastic, as others have said auto sense feature alone is worth the premium price, not to mention the exceptional build quality. Shopping on the site was one of the most pleasant online experiences ever, and as for support... once I reported an issue over ASR PM, I had Fred on the phone in about 30 min where he solved the problem that was in fact non-existent and entirely of my own making.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

+1. Not so sure if a DIY project is going to look this way ;)

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.42.00 PM.png

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The question is where is a border line between "DIY" and small lot production.

View attachment 173107

You got skills bro!! Those are very nice pieces of gear!! But again, not everybody can do what you did. I can built my own amps. I have the tolls, parts and skills, but I have decided not to because I do prefer to support small companies that do it for a living. Again, nothing wrong with DIY. We sell DIY kits for customers to build their own subwoofer enclosures. However, build a subwoofer box is not the same as building an amplifier, though ;)

Reactions: pma

Gremlins

That’s correct, however you need qualification and experience to make it well. We could see many mistakes in some of other implementations. They are revealed by both measurements and visual inspection.
Yeah right.. well , few pratice and you are there. Nothing exceptionnal

Gremlins

Yes you would

I don't understand your comment in your signature : addicted to fun and learning ..

DiY is about fun and learning

Gremlins

This not only about "assembling modules"...
First, correct implementation as quite often assembled units have lower results than hypex specs.
And also bringing features such as auto sense and providing quality build / materials.
That makes the difference !
Right

But the measurements are good, ans similar to hypex module

The guy doesn't make magic . So we canot say the measuremenst belongs to him.

Its a hypex module

Implementation, is no magic. A minilum clever guy that wantvtonopen business will study a little before and " industrialise" processes .

At the end , its a hypex amp

Larry B. Larabee

Yes. Having the raw data is the first and most impotent step if you want to have it comparable.

Next step is to visualize the data. Can be done in a (google) spreadsheet but something like grafana would be way better.

Having something like this would be awesome.

View attachment 173046

What is the point of having a huge database if you can’t search it.

If i want to know for example whats amp has the lowest distortion at 20W and and over 100W of power there is no way to search for this now.
The AP graph is saved as a comma delimited text file. Export to whatever you want for viewing. If Amir makes them available that is.

Or maybe member edechamps has already done this with loudspeaker explorer?

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
You got skills bro!! Those are very nice pieces of gear!! But again, not everybody can do what you did. I can built my own amps. I have the tolls, parts and skills, but I have decided not to because I do prefer to support small companies that do it for a living. Again, nothing wrong with DIY. We sell DIY kits for customers to build their own subwoofer enclosures. However, build a subwoofer box is not the same as building an amplifier, though ;)

Thank you, it was in fact not a true DIY, I was designing and building amplifiers and selling them in small lots, but stopped 10 years ago. I still have a valid license in manufacture and trade of electronic equipment so who knows, maybe I will return in some way :). You know, it was hard to make a living with audio.

Top Bottom