• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bowers & Wilkins P5 Review (portable headphone)

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would it be possible to include in the measurements a setting with eq on? Would be curious to see which devices would measure best with eq

I believe the reason Amir doesn't do so (and has mentioned before), is because the eq is done using pc consumer software (roon), and is not easy to insert this additional step into his measurement pipeline of hardware and software. I'd imagine the extra stage will introduce more distortion at the very least.

staticV3

Master Contributor
In that message he's comparing EQ profiles, not measurements.
Yes, but calling an EQ profile "Jaakkopasanen" is imprecise, as it could be any number of EQ profiles on the AutoEQ GitHub, like upwards of 10 in case of a popular headphone (HD650, DT990)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The P5 is an eleven year old headphone, but it went through a significant revision (the “P5 Series 2”) in 2015. Do you know which version you tested?

I have owned the original version since 2010 and find the sound inoffensive but the build quality first rate.
I think I tested the original back in 2010, I thought it was okay but too expensive. I went for the HD25 instead, also because I planned to use it public transport and other noisy environments. The HD25 just sealed much better and is pretty much indestructible.

Nichdroid

Yes, but calling an EQ profile "Jaakkopasanen" is imprecise, as it could be any number of EQ profiles on the AutoEQ GitHub, like upwards of 10 in case of a popular headphone (HD650, DT990)
He linked the profile source. If you click on the link, you'll see that profile is derived from Oratory's measurement.

XGEOX

These were one of the first premium headphones I purchased (many years back), mainly due to their exceptional build and material quality.

Unfortunately over time I found them uncomfortable to wear; they'd just heat up on my ears and the clamping pressure was too high for my big head.

My assessment at the time was the same as Amirm's; inoffensive and slightly 'dull'. I don't really use portable headphones anymore, but might dust them off to try with this EQ.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These were one of the first premium headphones I purchased (many years back), mainly due to their exceptional build and material quality.

Unfortunately over time I found them uncomfortable to wear; they'd just heat up on my ears and the clamping pressure was too high for my big head.

My assessment at the time was the same as Amirm's; inoffensive and slightly 'dull'. I don't really use portable headphones anymore, but might dust them off to try with this EQ.
I was a bit the same, they were the most beautifully made headphones I had seen and the engineering appealed but I never got comfortable with the on-ear design and gave them to my son.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
I bought the PSB M4U1 around the same time my wife bought the P5. I thought the P5 was lifeless with music. She liked it because it was smooth with no harshness (I agree). The on ear approach was better than I expected but not good for long-term use.

The build and materials used on the P5 have held up MUCH better over the years than the PSB. I've moved on to noise cancelling headphones for travel/mobile use and never looked back.

Last edited:

rcmo

The owner say she bought it in 2012 so must be the older one then. Hate it when these companies change things but keep the model number the same. What is different in version 2?

This is definitely the first version. Version 2 (S2) cable connector in the earpad is different.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Ooooo the drivers in these must be really nice. I want some for diy now. There's many ripoffs being sold from china. I have one of them (£20 pair probably factory rejects) and they are crap sound but look really good :(
Thanks for the review amirm I'm gonna go have poke around on ebay :D

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was a bit the same, they were the most beautifully made headphones I had seen and the engineering appealed but I never got comfortable with the on-ear design and gave them to my son.
I’ve tried to give them to my wife and my daughter but neither will take them! Too masculine looking, I guess.

The materials and build quality are first rate—the only headphones I have owned that are more luxurious are the Oppo PM-1 and PM-3.

martijn86

The owner say she bought it in 2012 so must be the older one then. Hate it when these companies change things but keep the model number the same. What is different in version 2?
I've owned this version and still own the new one. The new wireless version has black anodised aluminium on the outside of the cups. The second version, to me, also sounds worse. I regretted selling version 1 for a while. Version 2 is laying around for convenience but doesn't get used nearly as much as the Drop Panda at the moment.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite interesting, measurement-wise. Ultra low distortion, maybe rivaling estats. Also bass extension (or the lack of) that make estats with bad seal seem quite good lol.

Personally, I don't mind colored signatures or ones that lack good extension (i.e. KSC75) but this... is a bit too sad. As good as it may be with EQ, I can't accept a headphone that starts a steep descent at ~400Hz and goes under target by 300Hz. :p

edit: seeing FR measurements from other reviews, bass seems pretty good, although a bit bloated. I wonder how others got the seal while you couldn't. If you read subjective reviews, nobody really mentions bass being anemic, suggesting most people are able to get a good fit on their ears.
I imagine the FR measurements from other reviewers are of the Series 2.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

The jaakkopasanen EQ profile I've posted shows it was measured by Oratory1990.
But you're right about being precise, so I've updated my post to be more clear.

Regarding the multiple profiles that jaakkopasanen posts:
He does state on his github that the
Recommendation priority is: oratory1990 > Crinacle > Innerfidelity > Rtings > Headphone.com > Reference Audio Analyzer.
So that's what I'm going to post (if oratory's measurement is absent, i'll post crinacle, and so on).

It doesnt make sense for me to post each PEQ profile, since you guys will be flooded with graphs and it's not needed.

Here's jaakkopasanen 12 PEQ profiles for HD650:
1613235265084.png

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
There hasn't been a pair of the original version B&W P5 sold on Head-Fi since October 2017; the last P5 s2 sold around May 2019.

:rolleyes:

leonroy

Forum Donor
I quickly dialed in that bass boost to the tune of 8 dB and it was perfect. I then put in two filters to pull up the highs, adjusted them up and down a bit and I was done! Sure, you could mess with them more but there was no need in my book. Once there, the sound was very enjoyable.

Just dusted my old pair off and applied the curve - improvement to bass but either my hearing's going or they sound a touch muddy...to those looking to buy one today - I think there's better value for money to be had. That said they are very pretty and feel very nicely put together.

tonybarrett

I was given some as a gift and after a few years the right side became substantially quieter. Cable to that earcup can’t be replaced as far as I can see and swapping out cable to left earcup makes no difference. No scratchiness in cable so may be the driver somehow though it does still produce audio. No easy way to correct large channel imbalance for mobile use on iOS.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Can it really be the cable? What sometimes happens to headphone drivers: dislocation or a contacting hair, but the latter is rather causing distortion than loudness differences. I would compare both drivers for position, if possible.

tonybarrett

Can it really be the cable? What sometimes happens to headphone drivers: dislocation or a contacting hair, but the latter is rather causing distortion than loudness differences. I would compare both drivers for position, if possible.
Yes, I think you’re right. Doesn’t sound like a cable issue but the drivers are visually ok looking, seem identically placed. Can’t find any tutorial on web on how to access the drivers within the pretty solid housing.
E29EF35C-E67D-45B7-8F80-515DBF3EB1D2.jpeg

Hayashi

Top Bottom