• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bowers & Wilkins 607 S2 Anniversary Edition Review

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

Christoph-ASR

Attached the MDAT file (please rename the suffix !!!). How to apply the smoothing filter? The measurement was taken in 4m distance from the speakers in listening position in the triangle.

Here you can here an example -->

Attachments

• measurements Kopie.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 54

Christoph-ASR

Ok, I got it, there was of course a gap.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-20 um 21.43.15.png

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Ok, I got it, there was of course a gap.

View attachment 213816

If we draw a very rough approximation of the standard -10dB in-room response line to your graph, we get:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-20 um 21.43.15.png

So, you do have some dips and dramatic treble roll-off above 10KHz where the tweeter beams. Batman has begun to take shape!

You can add some of the lost treble back by toeing the speakers in more, but you will probably also see treble lift above maybe 4KHz.

Import the attached target curve and overlay it with your measurements to get an idea of an ideal result vs. what you have measured.

Attachments

• Harman -10dB.txt
    41 bytes · Views: 59

yellowdog815

Hello, can you please post how to set the B&W 607 S2 Anniversary Edition EQ correction in Izotope Ozone 9 or Apogee ModEQ6 or FabFilter Pro-Q3 or can you recommend an EQ plugin and its correct settings.

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
Attached the MDAT file (please rename the suffix !!!). How to apply the smoothing filter? The measurement was taken in 4m distance from the speakers in listening position in the triangle.

Here you can here an example -->
Don't know which is which, but the ones placed outboards, without grills, yellow woofers, sound a bit plastic to me, the kick sounding first at 00:04 and then again at 02:09 is unbearable as perceived as coming out of a little child instrument. On the contrary, at 03:39 and 04:42 is heard as the real thing when played by the other pair.

Last edited:

gitesh

Hello. I have ordered bowers 706 s2 without demo as demo is not possible where I live . I will be pairing them with my old Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver. I have heard reviews that these speakers sound bright / harsh so one cannot listen for too long ? Did you have to do any tonal adjustments to 706 s2 ?
The latest generation of B&W speakers all seem to have the familiar 5-dB or so rise centered around 10KHz. I borrowed a pair of the 600 series' big brothers, the 706 S2. According to measurements I've seen, they share the rising top end of the 607s. I listen to classical music, which means a lot of violins, which in turn means listening to a lot of strident recordings of violins. I am very sensitive to this kind of shrillness (it's my pet peeve), and to my ears, the 706s presented a very subtle, very realistic portrayal of violins.

The speakers are a bit recessed in the brightness region, below 10KHz, but very airy and feathery around 10KHz and above. This is the sound I hear in the concert hall: a delightful, breathy, velvety sheen that hovers above the fundamental sounds. I didn't find the 706s to be shrill or strident on the music I love most. In reality, they presented a very realistic representation of real instruments. And they may be in my future!

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello. I have ordered bowers 706 s2 without demo as demo is not possible where I live . I will be pairing them with my old Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver. I have heard reviews that these speakers sound bright / harsh so one cannot listen for too long ? Did you have to do any tonal adjustments to 706 s2 ?

Why so expensive speakers with a cheap amp like the Harman Kardon 3380 ?

Witterings

I have heard reviews that these speakers sound bright / harsh so one cannot listen for too long ? Did you have to do any tonal adjustments to 706 s2 ?

I found a brilliant tonal adjustment for mine .... I sold them and bought some Elac's instead which worked a treat :)

Last edited:

Propheticus

The tonal adjustment you need depends a bit on your room and furnishing. The more 'soft' surfaces like drapes, rugs and sofa cushions the more reflections are absorbed.
To tune the direct sound you can reduce the toe-in angle, which affects higher frequencies more than lower ones.
Of course the effect an extra carpet or a bit of toe out has is limited and can't magically fix gross tonality issues.

Last edited:

Chaconne

I used bass and treble controls only when the recordings called for it.

Top Bottom