• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bought my AXPONA 2018 tickets

TitaniumTroy

Just bought my 3 day Early Bird tickets for $45 a day, I skipped the so called Gold Pass, this year. Because their is no gold in it, just an over priced t-shirt and you can use their room for free drinks and snacks. Or as a coat room and the after show get together of people I don't know.

I used to get it because they let you into 4 rooms each day, early before the show officially opened. I thought that was pretty cool, talking to the owner/designer without the crowds around. Of course Amir cheats sometimes and gets a Gold Pass and a Press Pass. :mad:

This year the show is in Schaumburg IL at the Renaissance Hotel. With new territory to explore and new restaurants to find, I wonder if Amir has faith that his free Uber driver will find him better food this year? Or will disappoint him once again?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This year the show is in Schaumburg IL at the Renaissance Hotel. With new territory to explore and new restaurants to find, I wonder if Amir has faith that his free Uber driver will find him better food this year? Or will disappoint him once again?
That's the million dollar question!!! :D

OP
TitaniumTroy

TitaniumTroy

Thanks for the heads up that rooms were available now for booking via the AXPONA show price, so I just booked mine too. Didn't you have room next to some demo room last year, and the speakers were keeping you up with loud music.

Poor Amir, no sleep, no decent food, but good Uber driver, well sort of.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Anyone else going to this event?
Wife is coming with, so no need to beg for forgiveness there.

My wallet may never speak to me again though...

dc655321

Major Contributor
I am not yet sure. I have not fully recovered from my illness and I have a huge backlog of projects with the spring coming. Will know more in a week or two.

I hope you're healed soon and can attend. I would like an opportunity to say "thanks", in person, for the work you do.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
No, I came down with a terrible case of Shingles. This thing is one of the worst diseases out there. Weeks of severe pain and now weeks of itching like you have never experienced.

Wow, hope you recover soon! Does the vaccine help after the fact to prevent a recurrence?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks. Guess I'd better get one, and a physical... Last few years of insane work hours and other stuff going on have put me behind.
I've talked to people who've had it and it sounds absolutely horrible, hope you recover completely and soon!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Stop what you are doing Don and get it. FDA has approved it for above 50 years old. However, my doctor says they only give it when the person is 64.5 as once 65, medicare does not cover it but insurance will. I think I read chances of getting it when you are 60 is 25% or so. They have two vaccines, one that lasts 5 years and another for nearly 8 years.

Sad part of mine is that I had a physical just a couple of days before I came down with this! And I even asked about it at my previous physical a year back.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How far you willing to take a cab ride?
I'm not familiar with the far northwest side, but could make some recommendations if you want to go into the city for pizza

Wombat

Master Contributor
No, I came down with a terrible case of Shingles. This thing is one of the worst diseases out there. Weeks of severe pain and now weeks of itching like you have never experienced.

Commiserations. I have reached the ripe old age where I am entitled to a free shingles and pneumonia shots. Thanks for jogging my memory. :rolleyes:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Stop what you are doing Don and get it. FDA has approved it for above 50 years old. However, my doctor says they only give it when the person is 64.5 as once 65, medicare does not cover it but insurance will. I think I read chances of getting it when you are 60 is 25% or so. They have two vaccines, one that lasts 5 years and another for nearly 8 years.

Sad part of mine is that I had a physical just a couple of days before I came down with this! And I even asked about it at my previous physical a year back.
I asked my doc about it a year or so back and he was non-commital on me getting the shot, said no proof it was effective in preventing?
I also have a neighbor here who did get the shot and a short time later came down with it?
I'm 68 very shortly, I was confused and took a pass.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I asked my doc about it a year or so back and he was non-commital on me getting the shot, said no proof it was effective in preventing?
I also have a neighbor here who did get the shot and a short time later came down with it?

Because viruses mutate rapidly the current viruses may be not as effective at time of issue as at the time of creation - more or less so depending on the virus.

The last influenza vaccine was about 30 per cent effective(Australia) because the prevailing global wind direction(not the usual) introduced unanticipated strains. There is also variability in effectiveness in individuals.

I would rather be vaccinated with some risk covered than not vaccinated.

The virus infection can reside in individuals who are not feeling symptoms or only mild symptoms. So, they go about their daily life obliviously infecting others with less benign results.

This is why herd(mass) vaccination is required to protect populations. Get vaccinated. If you think you may be allergic to a vaccine, consider the possible allergic reaction to the possible consequences of virus infection. Allergy tests are available.

If you are in a moderate to high risk group don't take vaccination lightly. How do you know? Ask your doctor. If your doctor has alternative medicine leanings ask one who doesn't.

End of public health announcement

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a good article I found in my research:
https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems...hingles-vaccine-looks-quite-effective-study#1

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 14, 2016 (HealthDay News) -- An experimental vaccineagainst shingles may offer lasting protection for most older adults who receive it, a new clinical trial found.

Shingles is a painful rash that's triggered by a reactivation of the virus that causes chickenpox. About one-third of Americans develop the disease at some point, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

There already is a vaccine against shingles, but its effectiveness is limited.

The new study found that the experimental vaccine protected about 90 percent of adults age 70 and up. And the effects were still apparent four years later.

By comparison, the existing vaccine, Zostavax, cuts the risk of shingles by about half. And immunity wanes within five years, according to the CDC.

The study results were published in the Sept. 15 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.
So while not foolproof, given how miserable the disease it, combine with the fact that the pain may last years (!), I would definitely get the vaccine. I think the new vaccine above is available now or so I understood from my doctor.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom