• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bottlehead Crackatwoa OTL tube headphone amplifier build

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Hi ASR,

Wanted to share my build of my Bottlehead Crackatwoa headphone amplifier. This amp was built last year, so this is more of a retrospective, but I'm very proud of it and thought you might be interested :)

Background:
The Crackatwoa is an upgraded model of Bottlehead's popular DIY Crack OTL headphone amplifier with a larger power transformer, shunt-regulated power supply, multiple inputs, and optional addition of a Bottlehead's TwoQuiet stepped attenuator. The original Crack headphone amp is a high output Z, cathode follower, OTL topology that has garnered much praise in the headphone community for its sound quality and reasonable price, particularly when paired with Sennheiser's 300 Ohm HD6XX headphone lineup. The original comes in a base form, or for an additional cost, can be upgraded with a Camille Cascode Constant Current Source (C4S) known as the "Speedball"; the Crackatwoa comes with the Speedball C4S board included at stock. The amp has a 120 Ohm output impedance, so is only recommended with high Z dynamic headphones (Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, ZMF).

A large modding community developed around the original Crack, with builders adding upgraded volume pots, stepped attenuators, film output capacitors, bypass capacitors, filter chokes, cree rectifier diodes, among many others. Doc B. at Bottlehead, after watching this community for some time, thought customers' money would be better spent on an improved overall circuit rather than boutique components or small circuit modifications, and thus the Crackatwoa with its upgraded power supply was born. It takes a 12AU7 input tube, 6080/6AS7 output tube, and 6AQ5 tubes in the shunt regulator.

I was the owner of the original Crack + Speedball and a sizable tube collection to match. I decided I wanted a Crack on...crack, so to speak, and planned a "statement" amplifier build around the Crackatwoa, featuring a few choice component upgrades, a stepped attenuator, and hopefully, excellent aesthetics.

Product link: https://bottlehead.com/product/crack-a-two-a/

Additional components:
Here is a list of components I planned to add after completing the stock circuit.

Japanese Azuma gold-plated ceramic sockets
IMAG0094.jpg
Audio Note silver-plated RCA jacks, for aesthetics.
IMAG0095.jpg
Mundorf MCap EVO Aluminum Foil and Oil output capacitors.
IMAG0096.jpg
Mundorf SUPREME EVO Silver and Gold RC filter capacitor on driver C4S board.
IMAG0097.jpg
Audio Note 25mm Polished Chrome volume knobs. The plan was for the top plate of the amp to be sanded and polished to a mirror finish, so I thought having matching chrome knobs would give the amp a real premium look :)
IMAG0099.jpg
Cardas Golden Cuboids with Dayton Audio spiked feet. For the sake of convenience, I picked up these myrtle wood cubes from Cardas to add my spiked feet for that premium audio component "look".
IMAG0100.jpg

Base and feet:
After playing around with some test-staining, I decided on a General Finishes Walnut Gel stain and gel topcoat. The base was assembled and sanded, the hardware for the spiked feet was applied to the Cardas blocks, which were subsequently glued to the interior of the base, and they were stained together. I finished the gel topcoat at a later date after the circuit was completed and used a buffing wheel to bring the finish to a gloss (not pictured until final build).

IMAG0105.jpgIMAG0106.jpgIMAG0107.jpgIMAG0108.jpg

Top plate and hardware:
The aesthetics of the amplifier were built around my plan to polish the aluminum top plate to a mirror finish, which predictably was no easy task. It was accomplished by sanding the plate to 800 grit via detail sander, doing a hard cut via buffing wheel and White Diamond buffing compound, and finishing it off with Blue Magic metal polish and an orbital buffing tool. I am a masochist, so I also chose to replace the included Philips-head hardware with button cap nickel-plated hardware. I individually polished each screw with a Dremel tool to match the mirror finish of the top plate. Here is the amplifier with the hardware applied prior to circuit assembly.
IMAG0110.jpgIMAG0111.jpgIMAG0112.jpg

Stock circuit:
Assembly of the stock circuit was done over one week, using my Weller soldering station and Cardas quad eutectic silver solder. It was uneventful, as Bottlehead includes excellent documentation and instructions, including extensive safety precautions. Here is the completed stock circuit.
IMAG0114-min.jpg

Upgrades:
After spending a little time with the stock amplifier, it was time to add my upgraded film capacitors as well as the TwoQuiet stepped attenuator. The stock potentiometer and balance adjustment were replaced with a thirty-six, 1.5dB step attenuator with course/fine adjustment developed by Bottlehead. The stock Dayton Audio RC filter caps on the C4S board as well as the Nichicon 100uF electrolytic output capacitors were replaced with premium Mundorf film capacitors. Knowing that builders were undoubtedly going to add these enormous film output caps, the guys at Bottlehead left a generous amount of space in this area of the amp. Even so, I had to adjust the orientation of the left attenuator terminal strip to fit them in. Here is the finalized circuit.
IMAG0118-min.jpgIMAG0119.jpg

12AU7 to 6SN7 adapter:
I found in my time with the original Crack that I preferred the sound of 6SN7 input tubes over the 12AU7s and their equivalents. I purchased a 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapter from Garage1217, but did not like that the metal leads of the adapter were exposed. So, I purchased a 6SN7 tube base and fashioned a shell. It required some grinding of the ceramic via Dremel to fit the base around the adapter, then some thin cyanoacrylate adhesive to bond them. Very happy with how it turned out.
IMAG0042.jpgIMAG0045.jpgIMAG0046.jpgIMAG0047.jpgIMAG0048.jpgIMAG0049.jpg

Final build:
So that's pretty much it! At this point, I am enjoying this headphone amplifier on a daily basis. I have several input and output tubes and enjoy mixing and matching to play with the sound. Headphones I use are the Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser HD650, ZMF Atticus, and ZMF Auteur, all 300 Ohm impedance. Here are some photos of the amp in its current state, with a RFT 68HC/6SN7 input, MOV A1834 output, and Telefunken EL90 shunt regulator tubes.

IMAG0519.jpgIMAG0520.jpgIMAG0521.jpgIMAG0522.jpgIMAG0523.jpg

Thanks for checking out my build!

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Nice craft on the build, and good photos to show it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That's a very pretty item. Well done!

Is there a schematic floating around?

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Thank you! I appreciate the compliments.

As much as I would love to hear what the very knowledgeable members of ASR have to say about the circuit design, Bottlehead likes to keep their IP private, so I will respect their wishes and not post the schematic here, sorry!

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow. you built it VERY beautifully!

I have the Crack (with speedball). I wish I had handy hands like yours to build it that nice :)

How would you compare this one with the original Crack + Speedball, particularly on HD6xx?

Also, what is the best tube combination on the original crack you find in tube rolling?

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Care to have it measured? :cool:

I would love to and I have considered it, but I would die first from separation and withdrawal, second from the fear of it being damaged en route! So I've ruled out sending it anywhere for measurements, unfortunately.

One project I am rolling over in my head is a cost-conscious home measurement setup, possibly via soundcard, where I can plug in my various tubes and attempt to match my subjective impressions with their distortion profiles, do simple measurements like THD+N, etc. If/when that happens, I will post them here, of course :)

Wow. you built it VERY beautifully!

I have the Crack (with speedball). I wish I had handy hands like yours to build it that nice :)

How would you compare this one with the original Crack + Speedball, particularly on HD6xx?

Also, what is the best tube combination on the original crack you find in tube rolling?

WARNING: subjective impressions incoming.

First off, thank you! It has been a long time since I have heard the Crack+SB and I never did an side-by-side comparison. Those who have say the Crackatwoa has lower noise floor, better bass definition, and larger staging/separation. In terms of tubes, the best output tubes I have are the Western Electric 421A, the Tung Sol 7802, and the MOV A1834. The 421A and A1834 will run you $200+ a piece, and the 7802 is very rare and near impossible to find. The Tung Sol 5998 will get you something like 90% of the way to the Western Electric 421A and is much more affordable, so that would be my recommendation as far as output goes. For input, I prefer 6SN7s to 12AU7s. I have some unobtainium-level 6SN7s that are phenomenal (Tung Sol 6SN7GT round plate, East German RFT 68HC, Sylvania 6SN7W metal base, Brimar CV1988), but again are very rare and expensive. A great affordable 6SN7 input tube is the Sylvania 6SN7W short bottle with the black base and green print, they will run you around $80 these days.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
For sheer ruggedness, the 5692 is a good choice for a 6SN7 sub. Almost as low in distortion as the CV1988 (which is the best of all 6SN7 types that Morgan Jones and I have tested). If they still use direct coupling between the 6SN7 plate and the 6080 grid, have they finally added a (badly needed) protection diode or neon lamp?

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
From what I can tell, the connection between the 12AU7/6SN7 plate to the 6080 grid is the same between the Crack+SB and the Crackatwoa on both schematics, no protection diode. I believe the only diodes outside of the power supply rectifier are the HLMP6000 biasing LEDs. But keep in mind, the extent of my electronics education and ability to read a schematic is from undergraduate intro physics, and some instrumentation courses, my degree is in chemistry and work in healthcare, be warned! I am very much a hobbyist :cool:

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well, a chemist is going to be helpless when it comes to electronics stuff. Never mind. :D

(former physical chemist here)

thms

I heard in a youtube videos there are two times in the years Bottleheads makes discouts, do you know em ?

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Well, a chemist is going to be helpless when it comes to electronics stuff. Never mind. :D

(former physical chemist here)

Fantastic! My undergraduate thesis was in organic synthesis, seems ages ago. It's amazing how much of it has fallen out of my head, as I continue to cram more in. Turns out learning retro-synthetic analysis of beta-lactams in undergrad does not help much when caring for someone in septic shock, but I digress...

I heard in a youtube videos there are two times in the years Bottleheads makes discouts, do you know em ?

I believe Bottlehead does an event called "Cracktober" where the Crack+SB goes on sale for ~$100 off. They usually do a Q1 sale as well, but that has already passed. As far as sales of their other products go, they are randomly announced throughout the year, I would sign up for their newsletter if you are interested.

cjfrbw

Being an audiophile since 1969 (yeah, old fart) I completed my first electronic DIY project. I have done minor repairs and replaced resistors and caps etc. but strictly minor stuff. This DIY project I did the whole thing. It is a Nelson Pass DIY gain stage with the new Korg NuTube. I was fascinated by this new triode, but the only way I could actually hear it was to build something. I thought I would completely fail, but I built it and got it to work and it sounds fantastic. However, beware objectivists, it is actually designed to create second and third harmonics on purpose to enhance the listening experience. All I can say it is a shock of Nelson Pass goodness and good sound that swings above it's weight. I am not affiliated in any way commercially, but the thread is here:

Nelson Pass gave away a bunch of boards for free as Christmas presents to the DIY crowd:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/313612-b1-korg-triode.html

My build is really ugly, I haven't gotten into the amazing DIY aesthetics of L0rdGwyn's project here, but the thing works and sounds great. I even added a headphone jack. At 170 ohm impedance and a mere 1.7 mWatts, it is barely suitable as a headphone amp, but nonetheless sounds great with sensitive headphones and an old pair of Sennheisser 580's that I had laying round. I am proud of my ugly baby just because it works.

IMG_0457.jpeg
IMG_0456.jpeg

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
And it would get spanked by an Atom in every measurable way :cool:

I own solid state amps that I know measure well, better than this amp or other tube amps I own. Subjectively, I prefer the tube amps. I know it is an unpopular opinion here, perhaps there is something that is not being captured in the measurements. Yes, I understand the limitations of human hearing, yes I understand confirmation bias. I am sure the Atom is fine, I have not heard it myself, but I think basing the entire listening experience on measurements alone is just as foolish as completely ignoring them. Just my opinion.

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
That has to be the nicest looking Bottlehead amp I've ever seen, killer job bud.

Thanks! A lot of time and energy went into it. Unfortunately, I've found over time that maintaining a perfect mirror finish on the top plate is next to impossible, microscratches and oxidation accumulate, cleaning brings more microscratches, etc. Not a big deal as it isn't very noticeable, unless you are a perfectionist, like me...

milw50717

And it would get spanked by an Atom in every measurable way :cool:

I have a modified crack/speedball as well as an Atom and I feel the crack is marginally better in some regards. Purely subjective of course,

Top Bottom