• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bottlehead Crack Headphone Amplifier Kit Review

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm happy to see tubes being reviewed as I've wondered for a long time what they actually do to FR

Tubes by themselves do noting to FR nor output resistance nor distortion.
It's the circuit and components around the tube that determines what 'changes' are made to the signal.

One can design tube based gear that measures great.
One can also design SS gear that performs similar to certain tube based designs.

What we really would like to know is what 'tube magic' is and what it looks like on measurement gear.
The real problem is that this is looked for in the wrong place (technical origin) where the cause is of psychological nature.

pma

Major Contributor

Yes but there are inherent limitations. A tube link stage with output impedance less than 1ohm, S/N and distortion below -120dB (into 600 ohm or less) is quite impossible to design with tubes.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Of course there are practical limitations.
There are also limitations to SS and switching gear.
They just differ in certain limits.
It is possible to design tube gear that does not impart an audible sonic signature.
It usually isn't built because those buying tube gear want something that differs from 'neutral' gear and want to hear 'magic' and 'improved sound quality' and believe (know with absolute certainty) that's what tubes offer.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tubes by themselves do noting to FR nor output resistance nor distortion.
It's the circuit and components around the tube that determines what 'changes' are made to the signal.

One can also design SS gear that performs similar to certain tube based designs.

What we really would like to know is what 'tube magic' is and what it looks like on measurement gear.
The real problem is that this is looked for in the wrong place (technical origin) where the cause is of psychological nature.

You like to tell stories, as in make stuff up.

Plate resistance has everything to do with Zo.

6SN7’s tend to have low distortion.

12AU7’s tend to have ample 2’nd Harmonics that you can cancel in the next inverting stage.

I do not know if it is magic or not but you can hook up your tube breadboard to your analyzer, adjust the bench power supply voltage and switch in cathode resistor values and watch the distortion and noise come and go on the continuous FFT plot.

Love those color graphic displays on the analyzer.

Thanks DT

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You like to tell stories, as in make stuff up.

So you are saying that the performance of a tube amplifier is NOT determined by the used circuit, that includes type(s) of tubes, power supply ?

Plate resistance has everything to do with Zo.

Of course, so do output transformers, their ratio's and feedback in other words the application and design around the tube... is it not ?

6SN7’s tend to have low distortion.

Not as low as pentodes, or some other 'poorer performance' tubes but using overall feedback.
What's your point in specifically naming the 6SN7 ?

12AU7’s tend to have ample 2’nd Harmonics that you can cancel in the next inverting stage

That has to do with the circuit and components around the tubes.

I do not know if it is magic or not but you can hook up your tube breadboard to your analyzer, adjust the bench power supply voltage and switch in cathode resistor values and watch the distortion and noise come and go on the continuous FFT plot.

So you just confirmed that tube performance depends on the circuit and components around the tube... looks like I wasn't telling stories and making things up afterall. You just had to disagree to disagree.

You said you don't know if it is magic but changing something in the circuit and getting different results is most certainly not caused by magic but in changing the operating points of the tube by changing components and conditions around the tube.

Thanks SD

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

I've been waiting to post this since April 29th of this year.

Thanks JADED

DualTriode

So you are saying that the performance of a tube amplifier is NOT determined by the used circuit, that includes type(s) of tubes, power supply ?

Of course, so do output transformers, their ratio's and feedback in other words the application and design around the tube... is it not ?

Not as low as pentodes, or some other 'poorer performance' tubes but using overall feedback.
What's your point in specifically naming the 6SN7 ?

That has to do with the circuit and components around the tubes.

So you just confirmed that tube performance depends on the circuit and components around the tube... looks like I wasn't telling stories and making things up afterall. You just had to disagree to disagree.

You said you don't know if it is magic but changing something in the circuit and getting different results is most certainly not caused by magic but in changing the operating points of the tube by changing components and conditions around the tube.

Thanks SD

I have a 6BQ6GT in a shoe box on the closet shelf; does it make any noise or distortion? I say no, not that I can hear. It would need to be plugged in and turned on to make a sound. That being said, Plate resistance is key in determining the output impedance regardless of the circuit. SD you were getting out there on the limb, “Tubes by themselves do noting to FR nor output resistance nor distortion.”

About 6SN7’s, Morgan Jones did extensive testing of various line level tubes. 6SN7’s were the shining example of low tube distortion. Do note 6SN7’s have relatively high Plate resistance all on their own.

https://www.amazon.com/Valve-Amplif...600027858&sprefix=morgan+jones,aps,268&sr=8-1

When you were speaking of magical I saw a straw man that looked a lot like Harry Potter.

Thanks DT

Can I call you SD?

solderdude

Grand Contributor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
its-a-kind-of-magic.jpg

magicscreen

It is very unfortunate that we cannot simulate "tube magic sound" using software.
It would be cheaper and simpler.
I have tried the Tube Saturator Vintage plugin but it is only distorting very unpleasantly.
The tube crunching preset is interesting anyway if you want to convert your music to metal.

Veri

Master Contributor
It is very unfortunate that we cannot simulate "tube magic sound" using software.
It would be cheaper and simpler.
SPL TwinTube is pretty good if you find a preset that works for you. I'm sure there's more saturation or tube processors that are really good, but unless you get them in questionable ways they are also really expensive.. :) they are primarily meant for mastering engineers.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have tried the Tube Saturator Vintage plugin but it is only distorting very unpleasantly.

These are for guitars and to simulate certain overload (clipping) characteristics to get a specific guitar amp (amp + speaker) sound. They are not for simulating 'hifi' tube amps.

It is easy to simulate low levels of distortion in pre-amps though when you have characterized certain amps.

When simulating tube power (speaker) amps you need to simulate more than harmonics as the output resistance also should be simulated which does have a substantial influence on different speakers. This output resistance also isn't purely resistive (which would be possible) but differs per frequency as well. To simulate this exactly you would have to know these aspects of different amps AND that of all speakers which would be a huge database and a LOT of work. The effect the output resistance has differs per speaker.
When you also want to simulate what output transformers do (with or without overall feedback) also should be taken into account as well as overload characteristics of the power supplies (ripple, momentary power etc).

So those claiming just use a 0.000001% amp and simulate tube distortion are wrong. You cannot easily simulate a tube amp. You can get close but no cigar.

Those that like tube amp 'alterations' should realize that what they are using is not a more 'accurate' music reproduction. They should not think that using a tube amp at the end of the chain can 'bring back' musicality or 'magic' that SS is not capable of.

It is an altered signal that some folks prefer for whatever reason. It can never be an actual improvement but can be perceived as such by the user.
There is no 'magic' other than users thinking there is magic.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
So those claiming just use a 0.000001% amp and simulate tube distortion are wrong. You cannot easily simulate a tube amp. You can get close but no cigar.
Well yeah you're right :)

SaberCat

I have to say I love my Crack (stop laughing guys). Is it a "clean and pure" audio experience - no. Is it fun - yes !

There is no way I can compare the output from the Crack with my L30, or Rega Elexr, or O2 transistor amps....it's like inserting an effects module into the chain. With some kinds of music, when your mood is right it makes a very pleasant sound indeed. Other times and with certain genres it won't fit. This is not a matter of who is right or wrong...its personal choice.

I built the Crack myself; I swapped the cheap electrolytic output caps for much higher quality Mundorf 100uF film caps and used an Alps Blue Velvet pot...I also use vintage Tungsol 7236 and RCA 12AU7 tubes....they all work nicely and sound great....when I'm in the mood for that modified sound. ITs a great sense of pride to make a beautiful piece of, admittedly flawed from a purist perspective, audio hardware.

This hobby is wonderful - there are no rights and wrongs, just enjoy your music in anyway you feel you want to !

Pugsly

Please see my "Challenge for Objectivists."

milosz

Forum Donor
Please see my "Challenge for Objectivists."

Where is it? Include a link, please.

And I wonder, do you also challenge the "objectivist" engineers that design the planes that you fly in? I am guessing that your "Challenge" would have to include them if your approach to epistemology were consistent.

milosz

Forum Donor
Well I agree that using data from analysis of the Crack amp would not be sufficient to create a VST plugin (or other modeling software) to accurately simulate what the Crack does to a signal going through it into a headphone. When I say "accurately" I mean, such that taking the signal from the Crack and the signal from the simulation, matching their levels exactly, inverting the phase of one signal then mixing them would NOT result in a total null.

But I bet a skillful coder could create a DSP algorithm that listeners could not accurately tell apart in blind tests from the actual Crack amp.

But that isn't really about subjectivist vs objectivist, the argument that gets so many audiophiles riled up-

The value of objective analysis of the electronic properties of a HiFi component is that by using the same objective tests and standards, a buyer or user can get some idea of the way the thing will sound when used for it's intended purpose. The lower the noise, the lower the various kinds of distortions, the greater similarity in the way the component will interact with other components - the closer the gear will come to sounding the same. I will bet you dollars to doughnuts that no golden-ear audiophile can reliably hear the difference between the top-level DACs tested on this site. If they COULD hear the difference in blind tests, that means we are not measuring some aspect of electronic performance that is important to the sound.

With gear that measures close to perfection, you have more assurance that if you bought it, the device would be suitable to task and produce satisfying results. Otherwise you'd have to spend time listening to various components in order to find what you need. These days, it is very hard to go to a retailer and listen to DACs or amps...

Now there are components that we can measure but which sound very different even if the measurements are close to identical - that is transducers like speakers, headphones, phono pickups and microphones. Amirm's evolved Klippel method can tell you quite a bit about how a given box speaker will perform but his measurements don't tell you everything about the sound; the same is true for headphones. Testing of headphones and speakers can identify flawed designs and the tests can also point to units that will likely sound quite good - yet speakers that measure quite similar to one another still sound quite different, there are things we hear that are not among the things we test currently speakers for.

But again, there is value in the objective tests because they are comparing products - headphones, speakers - with a common yardstick that enables a more informed choice for consumers when buying gear. You can start by listening to products that measure well, and go from there.

With a product like the Crack which some people may like in spite of it's technical shortcomings- or maybe BECAUSE of them- you really have to try one out to see if it sounds the way you want. Testing provides little guidance.

Top Bottom