• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Both DAC are transparent as measures by Amir, why one not as clean sounding as the other?

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Still wondering. Others would suggest me to swap my D50s :)

Topping D50s is the slightly more affordable DAC in the Topping’s line and D30 Pro can easily justify the price difference in my opinion. First of all, it comes with an integrated power supply, and even D50s paired with a linear power supply (which brings the total cost very close to D30 Pro) can’t match D30 Pro’s detail retrieval, soundstaging, and layering. A clear and expected win for the pricier newcomer. https://iiwireviews.com/topping-d30-pro-review-4-dac-chips-a-gimmick-or-a-breakthrough

David Harper

When you listen, your DACs are not connected to an analyzer. They are operating in a different environment. Your DACs are interacting with the next devices in line (cables, preamp or power amp) that have input characteristics that are different from those of amir's analyzer.
You are always listening to a combination of devices, not to a device in isolation.
one of the best posts I ever read. I love it when component reviewers imagine that they're listening to, for instance , the amp. really??
How do they know that? Not the speakers? Or the phono cartridge? Or the DAC? Or the stream? They apparently have the ability to "listen back into the chain of devices" and audibly isolate the one they're reviewing?

audiophile

love it when component reviewers imagine that they're listening to, for instance , the amp. really??
How do they know that? Not the speakers? Or the phono cartridge? Or the DAC? Or the stream? They apparently have the ability to "listen back into the chain of devices" and audibly isolate the one they're reviewing?
Reviewers insert an amp into their reference system, the sound of which they know well. Then they basically describe the changes they hear.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Reviewers insert an amp into their reference system, the sound of which they know well. Then they basically describe the changes they hear.
For certain values of "hear" that involve no controls. Of course, if someone actually did it by ear, and ear only, the results might not help circulation and ad revenue... :cool:

Descartes

Major Contributor
Over 100 as measured by Amir’s are probably all the same!

“DAC Audio Measurements
Competition has gotten quite stiff since I tested the original okto DAC8. Can the new version unseat all the others considering that we are almost at the limit of what my analyzer can measure? Let's find out:

Okto dac8 Stereo USB AES Balanced DAC Audio Measurements.png

Darn it, it did it!

Best stereo dac usb review measurements.png

Best stereo dac usb review measurements zoomed.png

Thank you Amir

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Over 100 as measured by Amir’s are probably all the same!

“DAC Audio Measurements
Competition has gotten quite stiff since I tested the original okto DAC8. Can the new version unseat all the others considering that we are almost at the limit of what my analyzer can measure? Let's find out:

Okto dac8 Stereo USB AES Balanced DAC Audio Measurements.png

Darn it, it did it!

Best stereo dac usb review measurements.png

Best stereo dac usb review measurements zoomed.png

Thank you Amir

Hapo

...if you bought two more would the results be the same...???...what if you (hypotheicaly) tested the X16 against the X16 and the D30 against the D30...???...

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
...if you bought two more would the results be the same...???...what if you (hypotheicaly) tested the X16 against the X16 and the D30 against the D30...???...
That would be interesting to know. But then I do not want to buy and return and put a burden on the sellers.

Top Bottom