• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Boston Acoustics A 25 Speaker Review

P_M

You could start at 2Khz and go +/- 500hz to see where the sweet spot is. But does the MiniDSP 2x4HD allow a high crossover freq ? If its limited to standard subwoofer crossover freq (80-120hz) than I'd suggest you confirm that first before going down this route.

Also you would have to open the enclosure and unhook the crossover and run separate wires for the woofer and tweeter. If you are going to do this anyway I'd suggest dont block the port off just yet, unless you plan on pushing these up a wall anyway. I suspect its some internal resonance which you could mitigate by using some extra dampening inside the enclosure - if there is room that is.
Good Luck!

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You could start at 2Khz and go +/- 500hz to see where the sweet spot is. But does the MiniDSP 2x4HD allow a high crossover freq ? If its limited to standard subwoofer crossover freq (80-120hz) than I'd suggest you confirm that first before going down this route.

Also you would have to open the enclosure and unhook the crossover and run separate wires for the woofer and tweeter. If you are going to do this anyway I'd suggest dont block the port off just yet, unless you plan on pushing these up a wall anyway. I suspect its some internal resonance which you could mitigate by using some extra dampening inside the enclosure - if there is room that is.
Good Luck!
Thanks! Yes, I've already removed the passive crossover and run the wires through the port. The 2X4HD is very flexible and suited for active 2-way crossover use so shouldn't be a problem. I'll probably start by linearising the drivers first (tweeter flat down to ~1k, and woofer flat up to ~3k) and then take some measurements from different angles to determine the best xo freq.

P_M

Dont go too low on the tweeter. Distortion is usually very high around resonance and you want to stay as far away as possible from there. Being a 1" budget tweeter I doubt the resonance is any lower than 1.5Khz at best. Do a distortion measure on just the tweeter to be sure.

Is the minidsp able to do xover and multi band eq all at 44.1khz ?

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dont go too low on the tweeter. Distortion is usually very high around resonance and you want to stay as far away as possible from there. Being a 1" budget tweeter I doubt the resonance is any lower than 1.5Khz at best. Do a distortion measure on just the tweeter to be sure.

Is the minidsp able to do xover and multi band eq all at 44.1khz ?
Yeah, I'm not going to set the final crossover that low, just going to flatten the responses a bit further than necessary. Then add LR24 or 48db/oct filters, perhaps start around 2k and go from there.

Yes, the MiniDSP resamples everything to 96kHz and can do crossovers, 20 PEQ filters/channel, some light FIR, delays etc.

Danzoproduction

Would these beat studio monitors under $500 a pair? Or even $800 pair?
Also, how do u you measure fine detail and resolution? For ex: Focal alphas presented sounds i never heard before .
Which eq software do u use to shelve the highs like that? Sorry for asking, i dont see your pinned.

SlaughterX

You are missing the M series which was excellent and the VS series which was beyond excellent.
Seriously good speakers many of which used SB Acoustics drivers that at the time were quite a driver.

Here is the M350 the last Boston series ever, I had a pair for awhile. They went for around $2500 a pair then fire sold for $600-700 a pair. Seriously good, 5 starts in my book (but did have port noise so needed to be high passed.)

View attachment 94273
M25
View attachment 94275

Here is the VS260 monitor from the previous generation.
A very highly sought after unit. Still sells fast on eBay and Audiogon ect.
View attachment 94274

I have these VS bookshelf speakers, along with the big center and sub (which unfortunately no longer works... powers on though so I am guessing there is probably a disconnected wire somewhere in there, I should probably take it apart one day and try to figure it out because it was my favorite sub). Sad I missed out of the floor standers, almost bought a used pair on Ebay but they were all the way in Cali and the seller didn't offer shipping.

Anyway I put these in my sons bedroom, connect to an Onkyo 7100 and they sound great! I will probably give him those speakers when he moves out, but he's only 3 so that won't be for a while.

182927.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom