• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bose NC700 Review (Noise Cancelling Headphone)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Bose NC700 Bluetooth noise cancelling wired and wireless headphone. It was kindly purchased by a member new and drop shipped to me. The NC700 costs US $379 on Amazon including Prime shipping.

I must say, this is one of the most luxurious looking and feeling headphone I have seen:

Bose NC700 Review Noise Cancelling Headphone Wireless Bluetooth.jpg

The material is super soft-touch reminding me of silicone insulation on wires with such. The adjustment mechanism is super clever with that sliding bar which even allows some amount of movement for the cup. Top dollars were spent on mechanical and industrial design to be sure.

The cups are pretty small but still, mostly fit my ear. Inside dimensions are 70 x 56 x 24 mm (height, width, max depth). The cup depth is highly variable as the baffle is angled. The light weight of the NC700 helps a lot in comfort:

best noise cancelling headphone review.png

It took me two days to test what should have been a 2 hour affair. As with all rechargeable devices I test, I immediately plug in the power cable, USB-C in this case, and then continue with the process of setting up the test. The quick start guide that comes with the unit says to push the power button and hold it down until it goes into Bluetooth pairing mode. No such thing occurred. I tried every which way but could not get it to show up in my Samsung Android phone's Bluetooth discovery. On a hunch, I disconnected the USB cable but now ran into other issues with the little white LED switching to red sometime which I assumed it meant it did not have enough charge.

Next day I tried again with the USB cable still plugged in. Still no luck in getting it to recognized. I figured I should install their app to see what happens. Search for Bose and first hit is "Bose Connect" or some such thing. I start it and it asks me to select the device type. I tell it it is a headphone and it instantly showed a picture of NC700 which put joy on my face. Oddly, it demanded that I put my finger and drag the picture of the headphone down to confirm! What the heck? What is the point of that gesture? Why not the usual "OK, Done, etc." button for confirmation? Figuring I had no choice I do that. Immediately I am told that there is a better app for that called Bose Music. Bose Music? I don't want another Music player. I just want to connect and configure the darn thing. So reluctantly I download this massive 60 megabyte app....

The app starts and immediately asks me to register to use it. The Connect app did as well but let me skip that. Not Bose Music. This thing wants your email address or else. Reluctantly I go through the whole account setup process. It then switches to the same screen the other app did asking me to tell it what device it is. I select again the headphone followed by NC700. The thing sits there saying it can't find the headphone. :(

So I unplug the USB-C cable and the app recognizes it now. Why or why? Why can't I charge the headphone and still use it as a bluetooth wireless device? What possible limitation of design led to this? Too much heat dissipation? Later I read in the manual that if you plug in the USB-C cable, nothing works!

I think I am done at this point but no. The app paired the device over Bluetooth and then told me to wait while it was talking to it. Well, I waited minutes and the app was plain hung. I read a number of reviews of similar issues when the headphone first came out a few years ago. But now? Still have this kind of problem? Has incompetence in software set in so much in the company to not be able to get their app to talk to their own device after so much time passing?

Anyway, I had to test the NC700 without the benefit of the app and ability to change it settings. So everything is as shipped.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

My testing hell was not over. I connect the wired 2.5mm cable to 3.5mm and start testing the unit while off. I was getting insanely wrong results. Channels would not match and there was massive frequency response error (see below). Positioning was also challenging given the small cups but could not explain the huge problems I was having. Searching online, I was surprised to find almost no measurements out there other than Rting. I switched to Bluetooth testing and response was massively different making me realize there is DSP correction in there.

Bose NC 700 Measurements
As noted, there was massive difference when the unit is off vs on:

Bose NC700 Measurements Noise Cancelling Headphone On vs Off.png

OK, I appreciate the value of DSP correction but good grief, why start with such poor response as shown in dashed lines? The driver seems to only like midrange between 400 Hz and 1.5 kHz. Rest of the response sinks like mad. Such massive correction takes away a ton of headroom from the amplifier and driver which we can ill afford in a portable battery operated device. Still, if it works, it works. Here is the response by itself (after a bit of adjustment):

Bose NC700 Frequency Response Measurements Noise Cancelling Headphone.png

By the way, Bluetooth response is substantially the same (not shown). There is a slight deviation due to different signal I used and possibly the compression algorithm.

Here is our relative response:

Bose NC700 Relative Frequency Response Measurements Noise Cancelling Headphone.png

You can see very good compliance with our target. Due to large variation between the channels, EQ will be a bit challenging but not much should be needed.

I should not that I had a hell of a time getting max volume out of the headphone with the gesture on the right cup. I could get it to max volume but then it would go down one notch on its own. This may have a small impact on our distortion graph with input stage possibly clipping at 114 dBSP:

Bose NC700 distortion vs Frequency Response Measurements Noise Cancelling Headphone.png

Distortion at lower levels is excellent but clearly you can't push the unit hard due to internal amplifier limit -- a drawback of having to use the unit with it being on.

The QuietComfort 35 II that I reviewed did much better at max SPL:

index.php

In absolute terms, we see some issue at the end of the spectrum:

Bose NC700 THD distortion vs Frequency Response Measurements Noise Cancelling Headphone.png

It is strangely sinusoidal indicating some correlated cause.

Here is our Group delay showing a pipeline latency of about 17 milliseconds when the unit is on but using wired connection:

Bose NC700 Group Delay Measurements Noise Cancelling Headphone.png

Bose NC700 Listening Tests and Equalization
I started listening with the unit on and tonality was right on the money on my standard set of tracks. For grins, I tuned it off and boy, this thing produced the worst sound I have ever heard in a headphone! Could not listen to it for than a few seconds and had to turn it back on. When on, of course you benefit from what seems to be superb noise cancelling even using its default setting. It completely muted my Audio Precision analyzer which is quite loud. Nicely so, it did not create that vacuum effect when turning it on and off that some noise cancelling headphones suffer from.

As much as the tonality was right, the sound was anything but exciting. Sub-bass tracks surprisingly had no impact. I thought there was enough bass response there but apparently not. Spatial qualities were non-existent. And the highs were ever so slightly harsh which could just be my imagination.

I brought out the parametric EQ and managed to remedy most of the above:

Bose NC700 THD Roon Player Eqalization EQ Noise Cancelling Headphone.png

I took out the broad peak in bass which made the headphone lighter sounding. That slight boost then at 3200 Hz gave it some semblance of spatial qualities where none existed before. A quick shelving filter brought out the sub-bass finally but with a cost: turn up the level and you were greeted with static which from my experience indicates amplifier or DSP clipping. So you are limited to low to medium levels.

Once there, the quality combined with the comfort of the unit made for a nice experience.

Conclusions
The Bose NC700 is gorgeously built. Sadly little effort was put in the software side of thing, making me think they farmed it out. For a company who has sold millions if not billions of dollars worth of headphones, it is so surprising to see that they did not invest in proper software development expertise to produce a bug-free companion app. Documentation is of need of severe help to bring out common issues like not being able to use the thing while being charged.

Without being on, the objective performance of the NC700 is horrid and shameful. Sure they could start with a better platform than this. Fortunately they seem to have followed the research into headphone preference and hug our target pretty well. Tonality is therefore achieved but some make up was needed to get the unit to delight. We run into some power limitations here but not a show stopper.

Personally, I can't recommend the NC700 due to bugs in the app and power limitations. But you may think otherwise. On performance basis alone, when turned on, it easily satisfies my minimum goal for a good sounding headphone.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Yesterday was a depressing day.... I can only get our Cherry trees to fruit once ever three years or so. This year they put on a decent harvest. Problem is, animals were going after them as soon as they developed color. They were too unripe to pick though so I put in a motion activated sprinkler to keep racoons, etc. off of them. Day by day though, the number of cherries on the tree was reducing together with small leaves and branches being broken. :( Yesterday morning I looked and there were probably 50 to 100 cherries still on the tree. I tell myself I better pick them by the evening or there will be none left. Go to the store and come back 2 hours later and there is none, let me repeat, no cherries whatsoever on the tree! :(:( Saw a whole family of Robins feasting on it before I left. I am wondering if they were the guilty party as opposed to racoons. Oh well, now I have to wait another year or more to get some cherries. The shame of it is that the one tree has some of the best cherries I have tasted!

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Bose NC700 frequency response when on.zip
    24.7 KB · Views: 172

Koeitje

Major Contributor
My Sony headphones also don't work when you are charging them. Kinda sucks.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy sh*t, is this a headphone review with stock pads or should I stop reading? I skim read the review in 10 seconds and didn't see reference to pads, so stock pads right, tell me I'm right?! (I suppose I'm saying I wouldn't have skim read it if I had not expected it to be a 50/50 chance that the review was of a headphone that was actually using stock pads, lol, - really really, hopefully I didn't have to explain that!).............so we can actually apply some value to this review......Am-I-right-Am-I-right-am-I-right....faster faster, faster faster!

Last edited:

Remlab

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Bose NC700 Bluetooth noise cancelling wired and wireless headphone. It was kindly purchased by a member new and drop shipped to me. The NC700 costs US $379 on Amazon including Prime shipping.

I must say, this is one of the most luxurious looking and feeling headphone I have seen:

View attachment 138484

The material is super soft-touch reminding me of silicone insulation on wires with such. The adjustment mechanism is super clever with that sliding bar which even allows some amount of movement for the cup. Top dollars were spent on mechanical and industrial design to be sure.

The cups are pretty small but still, mostly fit my ear. Inside dimensions are 70 x 56 x 24 mm (height, width, max depth). The cup distance is highly variable as the baffle is angled. The light weight of the NC700 helps a lot in comfort:

View attachment 138486

It took me two days to test what should have been a 2 hour affair. As with all rechargeable devices I test, I immediately plug in the power cable, USB-C in this case, and then continue with the process of setting up the test. The quick start guide that comes with the unit says to push the power button and hold it down until it goes into Bluetooth pairing mode. No such thing occurred. I tried every which way but could not get it to show up in my Samsung Android phone's Bluetooth discovery. On a hunch, I disconnected the USB cable but now ran into other issues with the little white LED switching to red sometime which I assumed it meant it did not have enough charge.

Next day I tried again with the USB cable still plugged in. Still no luck in getting it to recognized. I figured I should install their app to see what happens. Search for Bose and first hit is "Bose Connect" or some such thing. I start it and it asks me to select the device type. I tell it it is a headphone and it instantly showed a picture of NC700 which put joy on my face. Oddly, it demanded that I put my finger and drag the picture of the headphone down to confirm! What the heck? What is the point of that gesture? Why not the usual "OK, Done, etc." button for confirmation? Figuring I had no choice I do that. Immediately I am told that there is a better app for that called Bose Music. Bose Music? I don't want another Music player. I just want to connect and configure the darn thing. So reluctantly I download this massive 60 megabyte app....

The app starts and immediately asks me to register to use it. The Connect app did as well but let me skip that. Not Bose Music. This thing wants your email address or else. Reluctantly I go through the whole account setup process. It then switches to the same screen the other app did asking me to tell it what device it is. I select again the headphone followed by NC700. The thing sits there saying it can't find the headphone. :(

So I unplug the USB-C cable and the app recognizes it now. Why or why? Why can't I charge the headphone and still use it as a bluetooth wireless device? What possible limitation of design led to this? Too much heat dissipation? Later I read in the manual that if you plug in the USB-C cable, nothing works!

I think I am done at this point but no. The app paired the device over Bluetooth and then told me to wait while it was talking to it. Well, I waited minutes and the app was plain hung. I read a number of reviews of similar issues when the headphone first came out a few years ago. But now? Still have this kind of problem? Has incompetence in software set in so much in the company to not be able to get their app to talk to their own device after so much time passing?

Anyway, I had to test the NC700 without the benefit of the app and ability to change it settings. So everything is as shipped.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

My testing hell was not over. I connect the wired 2.5mm cable to 3.5mm and start testing the unit while off. I was getting insanely wrong results. Channels would not match and there was massive frequency response error (see below). Positioning was also challenging given the small cups but could not explain the huge problems I was having. Searching online, I was surprised to find almost no measurements out there other than Rting. I switched to Bluetooth testing and response was massively different making me realize there is DSP correction in there.

Bose NC 700 Measurements
As noted, there was massive difference when the unit is off vs on:

View attachment 138487

OK, I appreciate the value of DSP correction but good grief, why start with such poor response as shown in dashed lines? The driver seems to only like midrange between 400 Hz and 1.5 kHz. Rest of the response sinks like mad. Such massive correction takes away a ton of headroom from the amplifier and driver which we can ill afford in a portable battery operated device. Still, if it works, it works. Here is the response by itself (after a bit of adjustment):

View attachment 138488

By the way, Bluetooth response is substantially the same (not shown). There is a slight deviation due to different signal I used and possibly the compression algorithm.

Here is our relative response:

View attachment 138490

You can see very good compliance with our target. Due to large variation between the channels, EQ will be a bit challenging but not much should be needed.

I should not that I had a hell of a time getting max volume out of the headphone with the gesture on the right cup. I could get it to max volume but then it would go down one notch on its own. This may have a small impact on our distortion graph with input stage possibly clipping at 114 dBSP:

View attachment 138491

Distortion at lower levels is excellent but clearly you can't push the unit hard due to internal amplifier limit -- a drawback of having to use the unit with it being on.

The QuietComfort 35 II that I reviewed did much better at max SPL:

index.php

In absolute terms, we see some issue at the end of the spectrum:

View attachment 138493

It is strangely sinusoidal indicating some correlated cause.

Here is our Group delay showing a pipeline latency of about 17 milliseconds when the unit is on but using wired connection:

View attachment 138492

Bose NC700 Listening Tests and Equalization
I started listening with the unit on and tonality was right on the money on my standard set of tracks. For grins, I tuned it off and boy, this thing produced the worst sound I have ever heard in a headphone! Could not listen to it for than a few seconds and had to turn it back on. When on, of course you benefit from what seems to be superb noise cancelling even using its default setting. It completely muted my Audio Precision analyzer which is quite loud. Nicely so, it did not create that vacuum effect when turning it on and off that some noise cancelling headphones suffer from.

As much as the tonality was right, the sound was anything but exciting. Sub-bass tracks surprisingly had no impact. I thought there was enough bass response there but apparently not. Spatial qualities were non-existent. And the highs were ever so slightly harsh which could just be my imagination.

I brought out the parametric EQ and managed to remedy most of the above:

View attachment 138494

I took out the broad peak in bass which made the headphone lighter sounding. That slight boost then at 3200 Hz gave it some semblance of spatial qualities where none existed before. A quick shelving filter brought out the sub-bass finally but with a cost: turn up the level and you were greeted with static which from my experience indicates amplifier or DSP clipping. So you are limited to low to medium levels.

Once there, the quality combined with the comfort of the unit made for a nice experience.

Conclusions
The Bose NC700 is gorgeously built. Sadly little effort was put in the software side of thing, making me think they farmed it out. For a company who has sold millions if not billions of dollars worth of headphones, it is so surprising to see that they did not invest in proper software development expertise to produce a bug-free companion app. Documentation is of need of severe help to bring out common issues like not being able to use the thing while being charged.

Without being on, the objective performance of the NC700 is horrid and shameful. Sure they could start with a better platform than this. Fortunately they seem to have followed the research into headphone preference and hug our target pretty well. Tonality is therefore achieved but some make up was needed to get the unit to delight. We run into some power limitations here but not a show stopper.

Personally, I can't recommend the NC700 due to bugs in the app and power limitations. But you may think otherwise. On performance basis alone, when turned on, it easily satisfies my minimum goal for a good sounding headphone.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Yesterday was a depressing day.... I can only get our Cherry trees to fruit once ever three years or so. This year they put on a decent harvest. Problem is, animals were going after them as soon as they developed color. They were too unripe to pick though so I put in a motion activated sprinkler to keep racoons, etc. off of them. Day by day though, the number of cherries on the tree was reducing together with small leaves and branches being broken. :( Yesterday morning I looked and there were probably 50 to 100 cherries still on the tree. I tell myself I better pick them by the evening or there will be none left. Go to the store and come back 2 hours later and there is none, let me repeat, no cherries whatsoever on the tree! :(:( Saw a whole family of Robins feasting on it before I left. I am wondering if they were the guilty party as opposed to racoons. Oh well, now I have to wait another year or more to get some cherries. The shame of it is that the one tree has some of the best cherries I have tasted!

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Fruit trees, berry bushes, and critters? Been there, done that. Not fun.
Bose is always fascinating for one reason or anothero_O

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
To import this PEQ profile into 'Equalizer APO', use:
Preamp: -3.9 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 40 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 180 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 3200 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 1.0
To import into your favorite PEQ app, enter it manually.
Otherwise, see my PEQ guide.
..................................................................................................................
For those who don't have PEQ-capable app, and want to use GEQs instead.

Preamp: -3.4db
32 3.2
64 -0.2
125 -1.6
250 -1.7
500 -0.1
1000 -0.4
2000 1.2
4000 2.4
8000 -0.3
16000 -0.3
Preamp: -5.3db
20 2.1
25 2.6
32 1.9
40 1.2
50 0.5
63 0.0
80 -0.4
100 -0.6
125 -1.2
160 -1.8
200 -1.7
250 -1.2
315 -0.8
400 -0.5
500 -0.3
630 -0.3
800 -0.2
1000 -0.1
1250 0.1
1600 0.3
2000 0.8
2500 1.6
3150 2.4
4000 1.8
5000 0.9
6300 0.4
8000 0.1
10000 -0.1
12500 -0.2
16000 -0.3
20000 -0.3
If you want to import into "Wavelet" (Android App):
GraphicEQ: 20 -0.2; 21 -0.3; 22 -0.3; 23 -0.4; 24 -0.5; 26 -0.6; 27 -0.7; 29 -0.9; 30 -1.0; 32 -1.2; 34 -1.4; 36 -1.6; 38 -1.8; 40 -2.0; 43 -2.2; 45 -2.4; 48 -2.6; 50 -2.8; 53 -3.0; 56 -3.1; 59 -3.3; 63 -3.4; 66 -3.6; 70 -3.7; 74 -3.8; 78 -3.9; 83 -4.1; 87 -4.2; 92 -4.3; 97 -4.4; 103 -4.5; 109 -4.7; 115 -4.8; 121 -4.9; 128 -5.1; 136 -5.3; 143 -5.4; 151 -5.6; 160 -5.7; 169 -5.8; 178 -5.8; 188 -5.8; 199 -5.7; 210 -5.6; 222 -5.5; 235 -5.4; 248 -5.2; 262 -5.1; 277 -4.9; 292 -4.8; 309 -4.7; 326 -4.6; 345 -4.5; 364 -4.4; 385 -4.3; 406 -4.3; 429 -4.2; 453 -4.1; 479 -4.1; 506 -4.0; 534 -4.0; 565 -4.0; 596 -3.9; 630 -3.9; 665 -3.9; 703 -3.8; 743 -3.8; 784 -3.8; 829 -3.7; 875 -3.7; 924 -3.6; 977 -3.6; 1032 -3.6; 1090 -3.5; 1151 -3.4; 1216 -3.4; 1284 -3.3; 1357 -3.2; 1433 -3.2; 1514 -3.1; 1599 -2.9; 1689 -2.8; 1784 -2.7; 1885 -2.5; 1991 -2.3; 2103 -2.1; 2221 -1.9; 2347 -1.7; 2479 -1.5; 2618 -1.3; 2766 -1.1; 2921 -0.9; 3086 -0.9; 3260 -0.9; 3443 -0.9; 3637 -1.0; 3842 -1.2; 4058 -1.4; 4287 -1.7; 4528 -1.9; 4783 -2.1; 5052 -2.3; 5337 -2.5; 5637 -2.6; 5955 -2.8; 6290 -2.9; 6644 -3.0; 7018 -3.1; 7414 -3.2; 7831 -3.3; 8272 -3.3; 8738 -3.4; 9230 -3.5; 9749 -3.5; 10298 -3.5; 10878 -3.6; 11490 -3.6; 12137 -3.6; 12821 -3.7; 13543 -3.7; 14305 -3.7; 15110 -3.7; 15961 -3.7; 16860 -3.8; 17809 -3.8; 18812 -3.8; 19871 -3.7
Otherwise, see my GEQ guide.

Last edited:

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That’s why I bought the QC 35 II when I was demoing both. The NC 700 so inconsistent and without ANC it sounds even worse than it’s predecesor

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Software is a wellknown issue with Bose, my mother has one of the Bose wireless speakers, you can store 6 preset radio stations and then just turn it on and choose one of the presets, ideal for my mother who is 76 years old. But sometimes it stops working and then it is drama, I have to connect with the laptop and a Bose app to the speaker and then search why it is not working, most of the time the best remedy is just store the presets again but already that procedure is not very convenient. I am a technician and I often have to search how to solve a problem with the speaker, for a non technical person it will be hell.

For me a reason to skip Bose.

fieldcar

I've heard random thoughts about how many people were let down "upgrading" from the qc35ii to the 700's, I guess this may just confirm their feelings. I'm glad I ended up with the qc35ii's to add to my collection.

EDIT: Doesn't that panther look pretty happy considering the no-rec? EDIT2: fixed it. lol.
1625172122066.png

Last edited:

elliott

I'm really wanting someone to come in and knock the qc35ii off it's pedestal. It's been nearly 5 years. Maybe it's time for the ASR community to design some BT cans?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I had an old set of Gen 2 QC Bose headphones that I used to use on the airplane when I was flying the world over. No bluetooth, however and I saw the 700's on sale during Prime days and grabbed them. My iPhone got rid of the rca mini plug and I had to use a dongle so I decided to sell my old HPs and grab these for the bluetooth (rumor has it the "lightening" plug is going away in the near future.

I was intending to use the wired connection should I start flying again and bluetooth for phone links. I was going to also try them when I drive the Miata with the top down, but I found out it's illegal.

At home, if I play HiRes - I use my Sennheiser HD650's with Eq. I'll punch in amirm's Roon eq settings for the Bose and try it out. I had some trouble with the Bose software as well, and I was surprised Bose put out something so bad. Why two apps? Crazy. Another problem I had was a long wait to pair when I changed from my laptop to my phone.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks very familiar for a Bose product: build cheap hardware with bad FR and use extensive signal processing to fix FR. Like the special unit you needed for the 901 (if I remember correctly) or for some pro speakers.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks very familiar for a Bose product: build cheap hardware with bad FR and use extensive signal processing to fix FR. Like the special unit you needed for the 901 (if I remember correctly) or for some pro speakers.
Spot on analogy and unfortunately so true, it has already + 20dB low bass addition per EQ and funnily Amir ads even another extra 4 dB, the roast of the voice coil :D

fluufy

Had these. Excellent microphone for using on Zoom or Teams - these are great for the office. But the software shit me so much I took them back. After they updated themselves the battery life immediately reduced to 16 hours! This was the same update that finally gave them an eq in app, so at least they could sound better, but massive fail on the software and firmware front from Bose.

Another thing to note: these only run SBC or AAC, no APTX of any flavour.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another thing to note: these only run SBC or AAC, no APTX of any flavour.
Forgot to mention this. It had defaulted to AAC on my phone which I found sound subpar. I tried LDAC but no joy. So settled for SBC.

bequietjk

Darn! I'm looking for a good pair of wireless cans to workout with, too. Maybe one day someone will send Amir a pair of Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC Travellers :}

The hunt continues!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. Sorry the software was so much trouble. When I installed the app for my QC35ii everything was seamless.

Raw frequency response gives us a peak at the drivers, but would almost never be used. That is like running powered active speakers with an external amp and no crossover.

In any case, as long as we can connect them my wife will be happy. She listens super quiet, cares a lot about finishes, and the frequency response is excellent so they should sound great at low volume.

m8o

Forum Donor
OK, I appreciate the value of DSP correction but good grief, why start with such poor response as shown in dashed lines? The driver seems to only like midrange between 400 Hz and 1.5 kHz.
Ahem .... Bose 901 ... cough cough. :D. ;)

eriksson

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir!
Sorry about your difficult cherry situation! Reading some review from many months ago I remember you asking for donation to clothe the panters - and they are still naked!? O tempora, o mores..

One of these days I might kick my cheap ass to make a donation. :facepalm:

Perhaps today is as good as any to show some appreciation?

Last edited:
Top Bottom