• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bose is like Apple in discarding . . .

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple was in the forefront in quickly discarding zip drive, CD/DVD drive, . . .

Bose is discarding passive speakers, 901 VI Series 2 (this one was somewhat like active speaker in the sense that it has line level EQ as opposed to speaker level EQ circuit - EQphobias, please note that typical passive loudspeakers have EQ circuit built in as a part of the crossover circuit -) in 2016, . . ., AM5 Version ?, 201 V, . . . now 301 V in 2021, . . .

See their current Stereo Speakers, only four models left: Bose Stereo Speakers

The passive AM (Acoustimass) 10(?) (to be used with AV receivers from Onkyo, etc.) under Home Theatre speaker is no more there. Only active speakers are left: Bose Home Theatre Speakers
US$4000 for their 'Lifestyle 650 home entertainment system': seriously? Serious sucker bait, IMO.

JonfromCB

Bose, a quintessential marketing company, is the arbiter of absolutely noting as far as I'm concerned.

Active speakers have struck me as the ideal solution for multichannel home theater systems -- what a pity there are so few affordable yet competent AV processors.

Agree! Especially regarding the AV processors...reality is both the active speakers and AV processors are niche products with narrow low volume demand. I remember visiting every overseas military audio/visual club I could back in the 70s and 80s. The number of reciever and speaker manufacturers were staggering compared to now and many of them were willing to customize their standard models for the extremely small military market. Ahhh, those were the days, all out competition, super low cost labor, before mass marketing and Internet Direct.

D!sco

Good for Bose! As a consumer-oriented company this makes a lot of sense. More equipment is only more better from an obsession standpoint. A dedicated setup like this is actually what I'd like to be able to buy/build at a larger scale than what Bose offers. The fact that JBL/Harman Kardon own Revel and don't make an active set of towers is so confusing to me. Only HiVi, the aforementioned JBL LSR series, and Buchardt offer serious full range speaker offerings with active options as far as I'm aware. Even my roommate's baby LSR 305's are a killer all-in-one stereo TV setup. It would be nice for smaller manufacturers to follow suit.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their website is a joke. Their pitch is aimed at goodness knows who. A mess if you ask me.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/better_with_bose.html

is this all they have?

View attachment 138402View attachment 138402

How to utterly destroy a brand in a few woke steps....

I don't understand - what is this website selling? Anything?

Had a friend who had 901's back in the ''80,s HOLY crap they could play LOUD , concert level, chase you outta the room loud

More like make your ears bleed loud. They have to be the most grating speakers I have ever heard.

Martin

Katji

Major Contributor
As a german i hate your sentence. I have always to watch out not to mix up that thing,think thing. Couse it sounds for me so similar. ;)
I don't know how it relates to German patterning...I think it is some type of hearing/speech perception. The K is a hard/sharp sound, the [ing] is a sound without abrupt end, without any sustain. Maybe the best way to explain it is to say that "-ing" can never sound like "-ick" or "ickt."

Note, the confusion, the mistaken sound perception that becomes pattern, it also happens in some English colloquial speech, so they say "somethink" instead of "something."

Having had a German partner in business for 10 years, I pretty much hate all German sentence compositions and written propositions what with the odd capitlizations and odd structure.
Maybe there is a rule for it, for the apparently odd capitalisations. I recently tried to learn about the gender forms - because all I could remember from one year of German at school was that pens and pencils have different genders - and there seems to be some rule or pattern but I didn't quite get it.
And it also happens as some sort of cognition problem or something, like this, along with random line breaks: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-rap-in-the-past-new-breed.24658/post-832798

AlexanderM

Last edited:
Top Bottom