• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Boosting vocals in movies ?

Tachyon88

Hi.

Is there a way to boost vocals in movies while listening with headphones or a 2.0 stereo system ? Source is computer, files are remuxed blurays.

Can something like minidsp be used to boost the "center" channel to raise the volume even though there isn't one ?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose a simple way is to mix both channels to mono. Then add the mono channel to the left and the right channel. Would boost the center and narrow the stereo width.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What playback software are you using?

It's probably dated by now, but the I use ffdshow audio decoder in all directshow playback chains and it has tons of options for things like that.

D

Deleted member 18309

May not be the most sophisticated option, but I use EQ software on my computer. Most EQ software will have a “vocal” EQ preset to boost the midrange frequencies. Otherwise you can experiment with parametric EQ yourself.

mansr

Major Contributor
Hi.

Is there a way to boost vocals in movies while listening with headphones or a 2.0 stereo system ? Source is computer, files are remuxed blurays.

Can something like minidsp be used to boost the "center" channel to raise the volume even though there isn't one ?
Do these files have surround sound? If so, change the downmix parameters in the player to boost the centre channel.

OP
Tachyon88

Tachyon88

What playback software are you using?

It's probably dated by now, but the I use ffdshow audio decoder in all directshow playback chains and it has tons of options for things like that.

I did use VLC, but now I used media player classic. "Directshow" playback ?

May not be the most sophisticated option, but I use EQ software on my computer. Most EQ software will have a “vocal” EQ preset to boost the midrange frequencies. Otherwise you can experiment with parametric EQ yourself.

I use equalizer apo with peace ui. What are you using ?

Do these files have surround sound? If so, change the downmix parameters in the player to boost the centre channel.

Yes they do. DTS-HD Master Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 3689 kbps / 24-bit is what I see in my audio information. How do you do this on your setup ?

D

Deleted member 18309

I wanted something simple so I bought this one called Boom 3D after a free trial. I'm not that well versed in what you just mentioned, or other options.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Directshow is built into Windows and is basically using codecs/filters registered with the operating system. Media Player Classic uses Directshow while VLC has all its decoders built in.

BigJim79

Quite often you will find vocals in movies lacking. You just have to push the volume up, as the mix is designed for cinema whereby the sound effects are meant to go loud during the peak. It's annoying and I only noticed it more once I got a decent cinema set up.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Yes they do. DTS-HD Master Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 3689 kbps / 24-bit is what I see in my audio information. How do you do this on your setup ?
Look around. There should be a way to enable Mch and then declare a missing centre channel, and then use a phantom centre instead. Then boost that phantom. Used to be standard procedure in the old Dolby days. Decoupling voice from noise was the reason Mch was re-invented after Quadro attracted no masses.

mansr

Major Contributor
Look around. There should be a way to enable Mch and then declare a missing centre channel, and then use a phantom centre instead. Then boost that phantom. Used to be standard procedure in the old Dolby days. Decoupling voice from noise was the reason Mch was re-invented after Quadro attracted no masses.
The OP's content already has a centre channel. All he needs to do is increase its level relative to the others in when down-mixing to stereo. How to accomplish that depends on the player. If it doesn't have that feature, find another one that does.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
e.g. in Kodi you have the following setting.

46725301-cbf5f780-cc73-11e8-96b4-69a83ae3308b.jpg

You can also try using the 2.0 soundtrack if it's available, vocals are often louder on that.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have a problem with speech intelligibility, subtitles can be a solution.

I have been using this feature to help my Chinese wife with her English. And sometimes we have the Audio in English & the subtitles in Mandarin.

Top Bottom