• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Boom 3D eq for Mac: what’s your experience?

Smidge

Next week my UMIK-1 will arrive and I’m now preparing and setting up the relevant software on my Mac mini. REW is ready to roll, and I downloaded a trial version if Boom 3D for eq. First I wanted to verify that when everything is flat is Boom 3D, it sounds the same as outputting directly to my external DAC. I noticed that the volume is a bit lower via Boom 3D, which makes is difficult to a/b test by ear.

Another thing I noticed is that when I check Audio Devices on my Mac, the bit and sample rate isn’t visibly adjusted based on the source material. If I output directly from Qobuz to my DAC it does adjust both. Which makes me assume using Boom 3D doesn’t allow native playback on original bit and sample rate.

Edit: I now experienced this indeed isn’t properly working. When you go from a song at 96KHz to 44.1 KHz it plays at double the speed. When I switch the output device to my DAC, I hear the DAC relay click and then it does play at the right speed. So it seems Boom 3D can’t handle this.

Hence my question, what’s your experience with Boom 3D?

I’m by no means stuck to Boom 3D, so I’m open to alternative EQ solutions for Mac as long as it doesn’t negatively impacts sound quality, and enables me to play source material as-is.

Iglo

Forum Donor

ihafkenschiel

TLDR: Great trial, horrible purchase. Do NOT buy!

I purchased this a week ago after the trial expired and it still says trial expired and doesn't let me use it. When I click on the account screen it is all white. When I try to do forgot password I get an error.

I emailed their support about this 7 days ago and still haven't heard a response. I DO NOT recommend giving these unscrupulous people your money.

Yasuo

Use eqMac as it's free and "better". I rarely use it when I want to tame the treble.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Smidge It's unfortunate you had a bad experience after paying for a product. I would recommend Sound Source as a Mac based EQ which is not freeware, but it has EQ files built in for headphones and allows you to setup PEQ. eqMac is a solid freeware and i have used it personally but i am not a fan of it based on my personal use.

OP
S

Smidge

@Smidge It's unfortunate you had a bad experience after paying for a product. I would recommend Sound Source as a Mac based EQ which is not freeware, but it has EQ files built in for headphones and allows you to setup PEQ. eqMac is a solid freeware and i have used it personally but i am not a fan of it based on my personal use.
It was actually not me that experienced that. But anyway, I decided to go all in and purchased a Minidsp SHD instead.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was actually not me that experienced that. But anyway, I decided to go all in and purchased a Minidsp SHD instead.
I am exploring going the route of miniDSP for my hifi setup for room correction and EQ. Definitely worth the investment.

Top Bottom