• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf to studio monitor upgrade?

Dipypang

Is it worth to upgrade bookshelf Edifier S1000DB to Yamaha HS8 + HS8S?
For daily use music movie gaming, critical listening, neutral sound.

Some people suggest 3 way speaker like Kali in8 but I read some people said the accuracy isn't really good...

Anyone using studio monitor as daily speaker for listening music?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Is it worth to upgrade bookshelf Edifier S1000DB to Yamaha HS8 + HS8S?
For daily use music movie gaming, critical listening, neutral sound.
Yes, but not the HS8s. Those things suck. Super super harsh. At $1250, I'd rather do a pair of Kali IN-8s, a pair of Dynaudio LYD 7s, a pair of Focal Alpha 65 Evos...

Some people suggest 3 way speaker like Kali in8 but I read some people said the accuracy isn't really good...
Their accuracy is, in fact, quite good. Far, far better than the HS8s.

Anyone using studio monitor as daily speaker for listening music?
Yes, but mostly because it's also my studio rig.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's a loaded question.
How much(?) of a real world noticeable improvement in audio quality, going from the S1000DB to Yamaha HS + HS8S?
With the sub-woofer, more bass.
The Yamaha studio monitors each come with 2 built in amplifiers, the Edifier's share the amplifier (best guess).
So Yamaha should offer better detail (how much?).
But not really much of a help answering your question.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I went from large Quad 12L bookshelves to tiny iLoud MTM studio monitors. The fact that I don't have to use a heavy stereo amplifier, or find room for huge bookshelf speakers in my office, was worth the upgrade alone. :D

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of people use studio monitors as daily speakers.

I think you could be happy with Kali IN-x.

Halfmac

A few years ago I wanted to upgrade my audio in my video edit studio so I bought the Edifier S1000DB on Amazon. All I can say is WOW! These are the best sounding speakers I have had since selling my Quad ESL1's many years ago. They have that sound that gives you the feeling of being in the recording hall or room like the Quad's. I have them connected to my computer system with a Toshlink cable digitally. My CalDigit Thunderbolt T3+ hub has Toshlink. No sub woofer needed like on my Quad's.

Top Bottom