• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf speakers with smooth highs.

Charliecj

Due to a little tinnitus I am seeking small speakers with smooth highs. Just going by reviews has me thinking of the Wharfedale diamond 12.1, or Evo 4.1. The Quad s1. Acoustic Energy AE 300. Amphion Argon or Burkhardt S300. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Due to a little tinnitus I am seeking small speakers with smooth highs. Just going by reviews has me thinking of the Wharfedale diamond 12.1, or Evo 4.1. The Quad s1. Acoustic Energy AE 300. Amphion Argon or Burkhardt S300. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You should also use EQ to make the highs smoother. And you can add a specific filter which removes those frequencies which trigger your tinnitus. You need to see a doc to find out the frequency range which needs to be removed.

OP
C

Charliecj

You should also use EQ to make the highs smoother. And you can add a specific filter which removes those frequencies which trigger your tinnitus. You need to see a doc to find out the frequency range which needs to be removed.
Thanks for the advice. I should have my hearing tested. When I had my tubed ifi retro amp, using passive Audioengines, I didn’t get listener fatigue. When I tried a Bose soundbar, I got fatigued almost right away. I have a Bluesound Powernode amp now.

beren777

Does "smooth high" mean a fairly flat response curve across mid to high frequencies and low distortion?

Fellow tinnitus sufferer here. Sometimes it comes along with HF hearing loss. I can't hear anything above 12,000 Hz, for example, so response above that cutoff is moot for me.

Please do get your hearing checked and ask about hearing aids as well. If your tinnitus is related to hearing loss, it may help attenuate it and also make listening more enjoyable in general again by restoring some lost bandwidth. Or if you're really lucky they'll pull a bug out of your ear and the ringing will be gone!

Take a look at the Revel M16 as a starting point, or does small mean smaller than those?

OP
C

Charliecj

I was all set to pick one of the Wharfedale speakers. Known for a mellow high end. I stumbled upon several reviews of the RSL CG5’s. I ordered them and so far I am in love. Velvety upper end and very nice bass in my revived stereo room. Got them on sale for $500 but they are worth far more.

Top Bottom