• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf speakers near a wall

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure that's correct, unless its a rather high crossover.

Not found graphs for the R3, but my graphs above and Amir's port measurement for the LS50 show port and woofer output being equal at 80Hz, unplugged. You'd want to plug it to get more from the woofer in the sub crossover region.

I was thinking of the Kef R3 but equally a 100 Hz 48 dB/octave crossover would still mean fairly limited port output even for whichever LS50 you're referring to I'd have thought.

I think this is a situation where you'd want the high-pass filter as high as you can get away with personally.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
Will the shelf place the speakers at ear-height?

It would be a little high. From my trig calculation, I'd need about a 10* down tilt and maybe 15-20* toe in. If I put the speaker upside down, it would be about 6* down tilt. That's all for the R3.

With a little woodworking, I can extend the top shelf to 18", so the speakers would have about 5" clearance in the rear.

Another thing I'm considering is there is a true bookshelf at ear level where I could put an in-wall speaker with about a 60 liter cabinet (minus some for padding, or it would be very live). I should be able to fit two Focal 300IWLCR6 or ML XTW6-LCR in the center configuration for L/R. Hmm, there's a pair of Revel W553L on auction for $520. That might be worth it to test how the built-in idea would work out.

I used to have a pair of giant B&O Penta floor speakers in the room. Since they have gone to be refurbished, it's been really nice without such bulk in the room. Thus all the effort to try and find a way around putting towers back in.

Obviously, this is not a critical listening setup.

Thanks for everyone's input. It's great learning so much.

Marc

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
In case you've all been holding your breath wondering what I would get ... well, at least I was ... I got a kind of big bookshelf speaker. The F228be.

I decided there were too many tradeoffs trying to do the bookshelf thing, so I re-imagined where I could put speakers, got the F228be (for 35% off as perfect condition open-box), and drive it with 2x AHB2 as mono blocks from an SHD. I'm listening to it totally flat out-of-the-box now and it's sounding really good. I'll DIRAC it tomorrow. They fill my large space really well. The bass is really there.

Marc

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
fantastic choices! Very envious!

Top Bottom