• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf speakers for metal

JLGF1

Speaking of saving money, I understand that the M106 was the target benchmark. Looks fairly close?

Ascend Sierra EX2 vs Revel M116.jpg

jonfitch

Welcome to ASR. Maybe these below?

But make sure to use that sub out from your integrated amp to 1. Free the bookshelf from low bass at high SPLs; 2. Fill the sub bass extension; 3. Leave the amp headroom enough for the speakers without breaking a sweat. Edit: just saw your integrated does not high pass the speakers, so items 1 and 3 are not possible...

And headbanging is on.

Has some third party measured the LXs yet? The thing with vendor measurements is you never know if its a prototype model (aka best foot forward measurement) rather than production model, and the variance with production models can be quite high.

JAJDACT

I also can recommend the Sierra LX's,I have had mine for a few months and I love them. They beat out KEF R3's,Philharmonic BMR's and CSS Criton 1TDX's in my in home demo.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Metal is like any genre that gains from better speakers and the use of PEQ. To think otherwise is off-kilter.

JAJDACT

Has some third party measured the LXs yet? The thing with vendor measurements is you never know if its a prototype model (aka best foot forward measurement) rather than production model, and the variance with production models can be quite high.
No,but my in room REW measurements matched up pretty close with the Klippel EIR info that Dave published. I can confirm that they have very low sensitivity. Audyssey Multi EQ-X set the gain of the LX's around the same as it did my CSS Criton 1TDX's,and Amir's measurements of those were a sensitivity of around 81db.

JLGF1

rather than production model, and the variance with production models can be quite high.

Ascend ships every speaker with an LMS FR measurement.

You can even purchase a hi-res Klippel measurement if you really wanted to. It's not cheap due to the time involved with the scans.

However, think about it. Both Ascend and ASR measure speakers with Klippel NFS robotic scanners. If a manufacturer were to put out measurements that varied significantly from an independent Klippel scan that could cause some bad business mojo. Since Ascend has their own (expensive) NFS, it wouldn't make any sense for them to do what you suggest from a reputational (ie business) standpoint.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of saving money, I understand that the M106 was the target benchmark. Looks fairly close?

View attachment 290687
Just as a general remark, on-axis is not enough to judge if two loudspeakers will behave and sound similar in typical rooms, better the full spin should be compared, in this case the difference in directivity in the presence region isn't negligible:

1686114475021.png

Even better of course the full horizontal and vertical directivities should be individually compared.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bookshelf speakers for metal
Speaking as a longtime metal fan and loudspeaker engineer, that's a tough order to fill, and rather an oxymoron.
- Frankly the only non-horn speakers I've ever heard that could really crank metal were
https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-300-loudspeaker
which you might get on closeout or used at around your budget. Piece of Mind and No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith loud enough to nearly need earplugs? Check! Thank you Upscale Audio and PrimaLuna ($2k integrated 50W tube amp).
- Genre. I sideways disagree with the genre comments above. Yes ideally a great speaker plays everything well. In real life, or the surreal part of it called "audio shows," many speakers sound lovely playing jazz or classical or solo female vocal or folk etc etc. However, put on some multiguitar Accept or Motorhead and so on and they just fall apart into a hash of distortion which brings me to
- Bookshelf speakers, by the nature of Hoffman's Iron Law and the physics of low frequency sound pressure and the realities of practical woofer design have a hard time really blasting out the bass. This implies to really do a proper job you need towers or a subwoofer or both, because you need big woofers to move big air.
- Consider something like https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=600013 or https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EON715--jbl-eon715-1300-watt-15-inch-powered-pa-speaker
and similar from Behringer etc. I think the volume knobs are calibrated to 11.
I seriously do not believe any bookshelf speaker can truly satisfy a metal jones, at least not without a subwoofer.
Oh on another fun note, let me declaim that speaker specifications (sensitivity, frequency response, power handling, on and on) are useless nonsense often exaggerated or outright invented by the marketing department. So don't comparison shop by specs, it means nothing.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Speaking as a longtime metal fan and loudspeaker engineer, that's a tough order to fill, and rather an oxymoron.
- Frankly the only non-horn speakers I've ever heard that could really crank metal were
https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-300-loudspeaker
which you might get on closeout or used at around your budget. Piece of Mind and No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith loud enough to nearly need earplugs? Check! Thank you Upscale Audio and PrimaLuna ($2k integrated 50W tube amp).
- Genre. I sideways disagree with the genre comments above. Yes ideally a great speaker plays everything well. In real life, or the surreal part of it called "audio shows," many speakers sound lovely playing jazz or classical or solo female vocal or folk etc etc. However, put on some multiguitar Accept or Motorhead and so on and they just fall apart into a hash of distortion which brings me to
- Bookshelf speakers, by the nature of Hoffman's Iron Law and the physics of low frequency sound pressure and the realities of practical woofer design have a hard time really blasting out the bass. This implies to really do a proper job you need towers or a subwoofer or both, because you need big woofers to move big air.
- Consider something like https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=600013 or https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EON715--jbl-eon715-1300-watt-15-inch-powered-pa-speaker
and similar from Behringer etc. I think the volume knobs are calibrated to 11.
I seriously do not believe any bookshelf speaker can truly satisfy a metal jones, at least not without a subwoofer.
Oh on another fun note, let me declaim that speaker specifications (sensitivity, frequency response, power handling, on and on) are useless nonsense often exaggerated or outright invented by the marketing department. So don't comparison shop by specs, it means nothing.
Uh

Top Bottom