• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf Speakers for Living room setup

EReich

Hi,
I am fairly new into this hobby and I've only had experience buying desktop DACs and AMPs. Now I wanted to try and setup a bookshelf speaker setup for my living room and will be using the SMSL m500 as my DAC. Initially I wanted to buy Active Speakers and was interested in the iLoud MTMs. From what I understand, with active speakers, all you need is a preamp to adjust the volume and the SMSL m500 takes care of that I assume (TV>SMSLm500>Active speakers) but now that I've seen great reviews about bookshelf speakers, I am lost on how to power them. So the chain would be TV>SMSL m500 > *some amplifier* > Bookshelf speaker?

All those ports behind bookshelf speakers are they RCA ports? Someone please educate me in layman's terms.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All those ports behind bookshelf speakers are they RCA ports? Someone please educate me in layman's terms.
Passive speakers only have speaker level connections on the back, no RCA. You would run speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.

OP
E

EReich

Do you have a link where I can purchase speaker wires? Might just stick with active speakers since its less complicated for me. Just need 2 long XLR cables and I'm set.

OP
E

EReich

Ohh I see. So I was looking through Amir's reviews here. I don't think I've seen a decent speaker amplifier that's on the budget side that has the same measurements as the Topping DACs/Headphone amps.. Anything you can recommend?

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know what "on the budget side" means exactly, but how about Loxjie A30?

EDIT: I just noticed you said "living room." Depending on the size of it, the A30 may not be enough.

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
Ohh I see. So I was looking through Amir's reviews here. I don't think I've seen a decent speaker amplifier that's on the budget side that has the same measurements as the Topping DACs/Headphone amps.. Anything you can recommend?

You are not going to find amps with DAC levels of SINAD short of the Purifi module (VTV has a stereo amp "starting at $1049") or the Benchmark amp ($3k). However, the Ncore NC252MP module has decent measurements ("quite competent" as Amir would say), and a stereo amp based on it can be had for $500.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/buckeye-6-channel-amplifier-review.18579/

OP
E

EReich

You guys are awesome but I think I've made up my mind. I think I'll just stick to active speakers for now till I can settle down on the new place. Might just go for the Kali LP-6 or JBL 308P MKII and pair it with the SMSL M500(which I already have) as a preamp. The TV takes priority on the budget for now.

OP
E

EReich

How far do you sit from the TV and what's your budget?

What do you expect from your potential setup?
I didn't want to go over $700 for the speakers.

I'm sitting approximately 8-10 feet.. I don't have a tape measure on hand. Just moved in and haven't unpacked yet.

OP
E

EReich

OP
E

EReich

I don't know what "on the budget side" means exactly, but how about Loxjie A30?

EDIT: I just noticed you said "living room." Depending on the size of it, the A30 may not be enough.
Thank your for the recommendation escape2.. It is tempting for the price and it has a subwoofer out too damn.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I second the Kali IN-8v2 at US$800/pair, it’s tough to beat. See Erin’s review.

If that’s stretching your budget, I would consider Adam T5V. See Amir’s review.

OP
E

EReich

I second the Kali IN-8v2 at US$800/pair, it’s tough to beat. See Erin’s review.

If that’s stretching your budget, I would consider Adam T5V. See Amir’s review.
Woah! Thank you suggesting the T5V!! I actually think these are perfect! Depending on how much I spend on the TV I might actually bump up to the T8V.. And these speakers are german made! Ze wife is german! Is this fate? LOL!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Woah! Thank you suggesting the T5V!! I actually think these are perfect! Depending on how much I spend on the TV I might actually bump up to the T8V.. And these speakers are german made! Ze wife is german! Is this fate? LOL!
If you consider the IN-8 too expensive, look at the IN-5 too, I'd take any of them over the Adam, personally.

jevenator

Does anyone know how the IN-8's would compare to something like the JBL Studio 530's powered by a budget amp like DA-9. On sale that turns out to be $500 package if someone already owns an amp. I'm kinda asking for myself because I can go either way. I got the 530's and DA-9 in and going to be trying it out vs the JBL 305p I have right now. But I don't mind going for the IN-8's to not deal with an external amp.

Like op I have a listening position 8-9 ft away in the living room. How will they be with music and movies?

Top Bottom