• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf Speakers for corner placement; near field listening

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using a pair of Monitor Audio BX8 speakers at my computer. I'm thinking of an upgrade, and would like some speakers that have built-in amps. A built-in Dac doesn't matter unless it is miraculously better than the one in newer iMacs.

I have some concerns about jamming a speaker with a rear facing port all the way against the corner (which is where they need to be). I don't expect DSP in the near future either...

I was thinking about Audio Engine or Adam and would like to keep the cost under $1,000 since I'm a cheapskate.

A fabric grill to cover the drivers, and a pretty wood finish will enhance my expectation bias, so are useful...

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the Yamaha HS7 speakers for near field and I prefer its sound to any headphones (no EQ involved) including the Sennheiser HD 800, Mr. Speakers Voce, Meze Empyrean, etc. I think it's only the Focal Stellia that comes close but I still prefer the Yamaha HS7 speakers to it. Unfortunately, active near field speakers catered to professional market don't have grill or wood finish. IMO, you can DSP the HS7 if you're going to place it on the corner to prevent excessive resonance in the 100 Hz range

Reactions: Wes

Putter

Forum Donor
Trying to avoid the usual these are the near field speakers I have and giving general recommendations, they should be either sealed or front ported which would also include passive radiator models. In general a sub is my recommendation to free them from having to produce low bass from a small woofer although many people would disagree.

Must resist mentioning models I've used. NO I CAN'T. They include the Infinity Primus 140 and 150, Boston Acoustic CR67 (yes I know they're rear ported, but I use a sub which seems to reduce the placement issues). There are several others including PSB and Mission bookshelves and of course my current speakers which GNP Model 10's from the 1980's. They sound best to me. They are acoustic suspension and were designed to mate with a sub (passive which were more common in that era) and you're unlikely to ever see them in the wild except by chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wes
Top Bottom