• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf Speaker + CRT help

spectrexcwk

Hello

I’m trying to upgrade the sound of my crt based retro gaming setup beyond built in tv speakers. The Adam T5v’s seem well liked here, and fit my ~$450 budget. I was all set to purchase them, but I’ve learned I need magnetically shielded speakers if they’re going to be placed anywhere near my crt. This leaves me with a few options (to the best of my knowledge):

1. Find something comparable to the Adam T5V that is magnetically shielded - no idea where to start with this search

2. Buy the the Adam T5v’s and move them away from the screen.

2a. I don’t have much space horizontally, but since I don’t have the speakers I don’t know how much distance is actually needed. Googling returns results of some folks having shielded speakers within inches not causing an issue, and some people claiming they need 3 feet.

2b. I could move the speakers away vertically using floating shelves. A small IKEA lack shelf would do, but many members stress the importance of placing speakers on rather heavy stands/surfaces. Would the cheap floating ikea shelf cause unwanted sound distortion?

Any ideas? I searched, but I don’t think placement near a crt is a common factor for most setups.

Room size
11 x 12’

Theoretical setup:
Retro game systems stereo outputs -> audio receiver (I’m assuming I’ll need this)-> speakers

Thanks!

Last edited:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Option 2. Speakers shouldn't be right next to the screen even in a desk setup. Back in the early 2000's I had some unshielded bookshelf speakers that were just fine sitting 1ft away from a CRT. Basically, if there are no visual artifacts or discolouration you are in the clear.

AV receiver is not technically required, can just go straight RCA from a console into the speakers. If you have many consoles the receiver does make the input switching much cleaner.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The original IK Multimedia iLouds are reasonably well shielded, if you are prepared to consider those.

1634055085908.png

Top Bottom