• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf setup

patate91

I'm planning to sell my vintage amplifier and speakers (they are too large). And I'll reconfigure my living room.

There will be mostly bookshelf space.

I'll use this system for : casual tv listening, background music, light gaming. I already have a dedicated room for critical listening and movies.

I'm looking for advice for speakers that will be placed in the bookshelf; passive or active studio monitors.

Budget 2000$.

Note that I want to be able to use my speakers somewhere else on the future, so audio ans equipement quality is important. If I can get relativly good sound in a difficult room I'll be happy.

OP
P

patate91

A couple more details.

I use a laptop for music and TV, ans a bluray player for kids movies.

I use headphones.

Maybe I'll add a subwoofer in the future.

OP
P

patate91

KEF LS50 and some amp would fit the budget. So would LS50 Wireless. Or Neumann KH120. Lots of options for this kind of money.

Yeah the fact that there's a lot of option is complicating things

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Thinking about this. If it's really for casual listening. You'd probably want something with wide dispersion, so you can walk around and it doesn't matter where you sit. So kinda the opposite of what most studio monitors go for.

OP
P

patate91

Thinking about this. If it's really for casual listening. You'd probably want something with wide dispersion, so you can walk around and it doesn't matter where you sit. So kinda the opposite of what most studio monitors go for.

Yes I won't do nearfield listening.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Focal Aria 906?

They look the part, for a living room I mean. I heard the 926 once, they were pretty great. I preffered the KEF R500 over them, but just slightly. I can attest they Arias fill the room with sound, but they sounded slightly more diffuse than the KEFs because of it.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
FWIW the Spender A1 speakers are not ported. Listen before you buy.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm planning to sell my vintage amplifier and speakers (they are too large). And I'll reconfigure my living room.

There will be mostly bookshelf space.

I'll use this system for : casual tv listening, background music, light gaming. I already have a dedicated room for critical listening and movies.

I'm looking for advice for speakers that will be placed in the bookshelf; passive or active studio monitors.

Budget 2000$.

Note that I want to be able to use my speakers somewhere else on the future, so audio ans equipement quality is important. If I can get relativly good sound in a difficult room I'll be happy.

JBL 705's...
KEF LS50's have also been mentioned, and those are also very nice. They probably have a bit more living room appeal.

Top Bottom