• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf and sub(s) versus floor standers in a small room

bryanl9581

Forum Donor
I am still early on with building a good system for my 13.5 x 12.5 x 8 room. Due to the size of the room, I am focusing on bookshelf speakers (currently comparing KEF R3 versus Focal Aria 906) and am building a Rythmik subwoofer kit to go with it. I am wondering if I should write off floor standers so quickly. I listen at low/moderate levels and I don't need much output for this room size, so would there be any reason to consider the floor standing models of the same model lines (KEF R5, Focal Aria 926)? Do more of the same woofers do anything for imaging, sound stage, or other subjective descriptors as long as the measurements are good? Thanks all!

CSG

In my 13.5x18.5x8' living room, I run a pair of NHT SuperOne 2.1 speakers. Amp is a Marantz PM8004. I find this combination more than enough regarding volume. I'm one who hates low frequencies and find the SuperOnes to be just right for my music (mostly acoustic jazz, some classical rock, and a variety of standards, exotica, easy listening, etc. I would blow myself out of the room with what the amp/speaker combo can do with volume.

I don't use floorstanders or ever even owned a pair so no help there. Mainly, I wrote this response to suggest you consider NHT's bookshelf speakers for your room. They have the SuperOne line and their premium C2 and C3 speakers. All are acoustic suspension which makes placement soooo much easier. Matter of fact, I won't own ported speakers due to their particular needs for placement.

CSG

I saw later that the fellow who runs this site tested the NHT SuperOne 2.1 speakers and didn't like them. I couldn't have disagreed with his review more but horses for courses as our British friends say. I like them so well, I have three pairs; two of the originals made in the USA and this newer pair made in China.

Top Bottom