• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bob Latino VTA ST-70 Tube Amplifier Kit Review (Video)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Interesting, thanks Amir.:)

Now I'm not a tube guy (although I think they shine nicely in the dark) but for those who are, considering what you say in the video regarding bass.Why not let a designated subwoofer amp (not tube,) plus subwoofer take care about frequencies below 80-100 Hz (with HP and LP filters) and thus relieve the tube amp from low bass responsibility? Or maybe hard core tube enthusiasts see that as "cheating"?
But if you draw that line you can then let a sensible class D amplifier take care of the entire register and then this tube amp is not needed at all. Hm...

These light up nicely when it is dark, see attached picture, they can be placed next to, for example, a Topping PA5. It gets a little cheaper than a tube amp.:D

Edit:
Or used amp with about the same power. If you know a little electronics, you can take the opportunity to replace the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply (whether it is needed or not, I do not know, but in this context no major money).:)

Attachments

• il_794xN.1938291791_lnpq.jpg
    il_794xN.1938291791_lnpq.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Jaimo

Thanks for the review Amir! I do wish I could send you my Dynaco MKIII derived amplifier. I switched out the original supply with a Tom Christiansen designed Maida inspired B+ regulated power supply and the amp Is Very quite with enough power to drive relatively inefficient Magnepan MG1.6 speakers to reasonable levels.

My son uses a Dynaco ST35 from my collection to drive a pair of Athena ASB2 speakers and the overall musical experience at domestic listening levels is quite acceptable. This system is more of a conversation piece and since the preferred playback option is Spotify via Bluetooth, he is not at all troubled by the lack of fidelity.

Dynaco tube amps are indeed of historical importance and it’s amazing that they can still perform reasonably well many decades later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom