• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BMR Tower vs Revel F328Be Compared

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The performance of the BMR is close enough (better?) to the Revel for me to consider the Revel a swindle at that price.
Probably any speaker that costs 14k has serious competition from a currently available modern desgn at 4k.

Nobody should tell @amirm he was swindled buying his Salon 2!

OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor
The BMR Tower and the Revel F328Be have very different drivers and offer a significantly different sound signature. I can't look at a REW graph or use the low/high extension data to definitively forecast which speaker I will prefer. There is so much more to the sound than that bit of data. When I switch between these two speakers it's evident which one I'm listening too. I am going to setup some blind listening tests. The results should be fun to review.

Everett T

Forum Donor
The BMR Tower and the Revel F328Be have very different drivers and offer a significantly different sound signature. I can't look at a REW graph or use the low/high extension data to definitively forecast which speaker I will prefer. There is so much more to the sound than that bit of data. When I switch between these two speakers it's evident which one I'm listening too. I am going to setup some blind listening tests. The results should be fun to review.
As expected, above 400hz should be the comparison, after that they are two different speakers.

sdiver68

That is a little unfair to Revel. The BMRs look like really good speakers, but it isnt like Revel doesnt also sell speakers in this price bracket. The fair comparison would be the F206.

Part of what you are getting with the F328Be is all those woofers. The pair of 8” woofers on the BMR tower have an effective total cone area somewhere between a 10” and 12” sub. The effective cone area of the six 8” woofers on the pair of Revel is slightly more cone area than an 18” woofer. As Dennis said, the BMR towers are not meant to push the highest SPLs, but I think the 328Be would be happier to oblige (at a cost).

With the Revel, you are also getting beryllium tweeters and ceramic woofers. On the BMR you are also getting non-traditional drivers with the BMRs and the ribbon. The cost of “exotica” drivers is hard to compare (but BMR midranges are inexpensive), are included in the cost of the speakers, and almost never show up in the frequency response plot.

edit:

The Revels are also their current top-of-the-line. For some reason, this is the point where price and performance are decoupled (a lot of manufacturers seem to do this). For example, the F328Be pricing makes no sense relative to the F228Be.
The fair Revel comparison at street prices is F208.

aarons915

Forum Donor

No one can look at REW graphs and tell which speaker they prefer because as Dr. Toole has stated, we don't hear room curves. We hear the direct sound followed by the early reflections mostly, the room curve should closely approximate the early reflections. In this case you have very different polar patterns in the vertical plane so they will sound different to your ears. I think considering the massive size difference in bass drivers you find a way to make the bass comparison more fair and focus on 100+Hz, we all know the 328be will play louder but the BMR will play loud enough for 99% of listeners so that doesn't really matter.

Larry B. Larabee

I just took delivery of some bmr towers too, and they sound amazing.
Let's take a moment to realize that these are competing in this against revels top of the line speaker and a $14,000 difference in price!

View attachment 188005
This is a perfect example of what appears to be what I see as a total lack of interest in the proper setup of speaker/room optimization. Speakers firing directly into a couple of couches, slammed up against the front wall, what looks like a twin bed planted in the middle of the room, rattling shelves and lampshades, something that looks like an episode of tv's Hoarders rather than a listening room. Is it possible that this can sound at all good? Meme friendly, sure. Wife friendly, sure. Serious listening friendly, surely not? Who knows, I certainly don't.

OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor
I know some are concentrating on the F328Be being able to play louder as the main difference, but that would not be the determining factor for me. I rarely play music above 85dB and at times quieter. I look for speakers that sound great when playing at lower volumes as well as higher SPL. Another difference I am looking for is dynamics. Does the speaker do something remarkable with dynamics? If it wakes me up from what I'm use to and pulls me into the music in a different way, even at lower volumes that's worth examining.

The difference in the driver materials for these two speakers is substantial.
1. Compare hard paper 8" cone to 8" ceramic aluminum driver.
2. Compare dual 2.5" Tectonic Balanced Mode Radiators to a 5-1/4" midrange ceramic aluminum cone.
3. Compare a 1" Beryllium dome, with acoustic lens waveguide to a RAAL ribbon tweeter.
Each driver choice has a specific tell tale signature. One question I have is does one of these speaker designs sound better for all music genre and volume levels?

Jdunk54nl

This is a perfect example of what appears to be what I see as a total lack of interest in the proper setup of speaker/room optimization. Speakers firing directly into a couple of couches, slammed up against the front wall, what looks like a twin bed planted in the middle of the room, rattling shelves and lampshades, something that looks like an episode of tv's Hoarders rather than a listening room. Is it possible that this can sound at all good? Meme friendly, sure. Wife friendly, sure. Serious listening friendly, surely not? Who knows, I certainly don't.

Was this necessary? Why do you seem so angry about my setup? Could it be that I JUST took delivery as the post said and haven't had a chance to see what is going to work best?

If the speakers NEED to be toed in, that will show me when I do measurements. Until then, they will point straight out. Not every single speaker works best toed in, some toe out, some firing straight.
Overall, everyone has room designs they have to work around when

As far as speakers firing into couches, only the bass drivers are firing "into" the couches and that doesn't matter, they act like a REALLY good bass trap by being positioned there.

The Ottoman is big, but my dog likes it so who cares?

Lets see pictures of your listening room so I can tear it apart with science, unlike you used in mine.

Everett T

Forum Donor
None of which you could have derived from the picture.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Angry, useless post.

Peace. Really

Last edited:

moonlight rainbow dream

I just took delivery of some bmr towers too, and they sound amazing.
Let's take a moment to realize that these are competing in this against revels top of the line speaker and a $14,000 difference in price!
Sorry to go off-topic, but what kind of in-room extension do you get with your subs? And do you use EQ to boost the subsonic frequencies?

Larry B. Larabee

Was this necessary? Why do you seem so angry about my setup? Could it be that I JUST took delivery as the post said and haven't had a chance to see what is going to work best?

If the speakers NEED to be toed in, that will show me when I do measurements. Until then, they will point straight out. Not every single speaker works best toed in, some toe out, some firing straight.
Overall, everyone has room designs they have to work around when

As far as speakers firing into couches, only the bass drivers are firing "into" the couches and that doesn't matter, they act like a REALLY good bass trap by being positioned there.

The Ottoman is big, but my dog likes it so who cares?

Lets see pictures of your listening room so I can tear it apart with science, unlike you used in mine.
All I want to know is when you make adjustments to the room/speaker, dogbed location whether it sounds better to you or not. You said it sounds pretty good now. It would be interesting to know if dedication to details is actually worthwhile. As I said, I don't have the slightest idea if it does or not.

Jdunk54nl

Sorry to go off-topic, but what kind of in-room extension do you get with your subs? And do you use EQ to boost the subsonic frequencies?
They go down to about 15hz as is. I need to play around with fill in the sub enclosures more, I think I overstuffed. I was trying to get close to the 0.707 alignment as measured via DATS, but it resulted in a lot of stuffing (4lbs of acousta stuff plus lining the sides with pink fluffy insulation) and I think the end result was too much and actually made the box smaller by overstuffing. It is a combo living room/kitchen/formal dining room. The living room and kitchen is about 21ft by 32ft that opens into the formal dining room that is another 15ft by 20ft, and all of it has 9ft ceilings.

Last edited:

Jdunk54nl

All I want to know is when you make adjustments to the room/speaker, dogbed location whether it sounds better to you or not. You said it sounds pretty good now. It would be interesting to know if dedication to details is actually worthwhile. As I said, I don't have the slightest idea if it does or not.
If you don't have "the slighest idea" then why post all of this garbage below when you don't know. Clearly in the post you don't know or you wouldn't say these things as some of them are just false.

As to your question above, you burnt that bridge on me responding with answers to you. If you would have asked that question first without the "perfect example of what appears to be a total lack of interest" and "meme friendly" maybe I would have tried to educate you on these things. But nah, not worth my time after that, I have better things to do.

mj30250

Does @amper42 still have Ascend Sierra towers? I'd also be very curious to see how the BMR towers compare to them. Obviously the BMR is going to crush them in bass extension, but I'd expect the Sierras to be capable of more output above bass frequencies.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't have "the slighest idea" then why post all of this garbage below when you don't know. Clearly in the post you don't know or you wouldn't say these things as some of them are just false.

As to your question above, you burnt that bridge on me responding with answers to you. If you would have asked that question first without the "perfect example of what appears to be a total lack of interest" and "meme friendly" maybe I would have tried to educate you on these things. But nah, not worth my time after that, I have better things to do.
I believe there is an "ignore" button... Just saying...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This is a perfect example of what appears to be what I see as a total lack of interest in the proper setup of speaker/room optimization.

This is a perfect example of what appears to be needless rudeness, and what I see as a lack of interest in proper member/forum interaction.

We have someone posting in good faith, and they get that?

Thread ban.

Top Bottom