• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BMR Tower vs Revel F328Be Compared

paulgyro

I got a chance to listen the bmr monitor sized ones, here in AZ recently with some other brands and I was very impressed with it.
As was I! I was amazed when I heard them at the AZ show. As a result I'm seriously considering a pair of BMR Towers. What difference could I expect from the Towers vs the Monitors?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As was I! I was amazed when I heard them at the AZ show. As a result I'm seriously considering a pair of BMR Towers. What difference could I expect from the Towers vs the Monitors?
A little better power handling and extension to about 20hz in room (my towers go to 19hz in room compared to about 35hz for the monitors)

OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor

I actually prefer the BMR Monitor to the BMR Tower for most situations. The BMR Towers are 6db less efficient than my Revel F328Be. I have to be careful switching between the BMR Towers and the F328Be as the Revels require a lot less power and if I don't turn the RME ADI-2 DAC -> Purifi amp down before the switch the Revels will blow me out of the room. :D

While the BMR Towers sound great with classical, I usually prefer the BMR Monitor or the F328Be for Jazz.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I actually prefer the BMR Monitor to the BMR Tower for most situations. The BMR Towers are 6db less efficient than my Revel F328Be. I have to be careful switching between the BMR Towers and the F328Be as the Revels require a lot less power and if I don't turn the RME ADI-2 DAC -> Purifi amp down before the switch the Revels will blow me out of the room. :D

While the BMR Towers sound great with classical, I usually prefer the BMR Monitor or the F328Be for Jazz.
Hmmmm--don't know why that would be unless it's strictly a matter of sensitivity.

TREVANIAN

Are you in AZ? Phoenix Area too? I ask because I was also at that event and we have another (free) monthly meetup group that meets and talks about audio. A lot of us are into more of the complete home theatre and 2 channel audio stuff (as well as car, boat, utv, etc audio...basically anything with the ability to play audio). PM me if you are interested in joining and meeting up monthly!
Yeppers I'm outside of Phoenix, I'm just a noob trying to figure out which direction to go with my moddest system.

Terry Stahly

I will add one thing to this discussion. BMRs are packed and shipped to withstand the rigors of FedEx and UPS. They all arrived undamaged. The Revels I bought were not packaged all that well and one was damaged. It took me months to try to get one replaced only to be told no ETA on when I could expect a replacement. They were sent directly from Harman. I didn’t buy the 328’s so perhaps the extra 11k gets you better packaging (and better service):)

Dennis has always been available as he is here.

P.S. I will say the dealer on the Revels was great…he could only do so much. I sold the Revels.
I thought my 328's were packaged pretty well

Attachments

• revel 328 packaging.jpg
    revel 328 packaging.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
  • revel 328 pakaging.jpg
    revel 328 pakaging.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 167
OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor
I thought my 328's were packaged pretty well

Yep. My Revel F328Be came in the same airline cases with the heavy cardboard package inside the case. The exterior travel cases might get banged up by a botched delivery but it would be difficult to damage the F328Be as it's double boxed in cardboard inside the travel case. In fact, the cardboard container and foam inserts for the F328Be look almost identical to the cardboard packing style on the BMR Tower minus the travel case. With the F328Be most will keep the cardboard case by just placing them back inside the airline case. However, I didn't have room to keep the cardboard packaging for the BMR Towers. At some point, you can't dedicate a room to empty boxes. :D

MatrixRabbit2

I have an offer from my local dealer to sell me F328Be with my trade-in F228Be for $9K. That's also roughly the same realm as going to something like a B&W 802D3. Any would be driven by a powerful McIntosh. It seems like reviews have them painted as different speakers, not just a third woofer. A significant upgrade in everything.

Even the packaging...my 228Be's just came in an ordinary cardboard box. You have a huge airline box for the 328's?

OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor
I have an offer from my local dealer to sell me F328Be with my trade-in F228Be for $9K. That's also roughly the same realm as going to something like a B&W 802D3. Any would be driven by a powerful McIntosh. It seems like reviews have them painted as different speakers, not just a third woofer. A significant upgrade in everything.

Even the packaging...my 228Be's just came in an ordinary cardboard box. You have a huge airline box for the 328's?

9K seems like a great trade price for the dealer. You might see what @amirm can sell you a pair of F328Be for? I imagine you might get $6,000 for the F228Be pair in like new condition. Sometimes, Revel has a F328Be "B" stock that was returned due to damage to the airline case. These get deep discounted. With a nice discount you may be able to get F328Be for near 12K minus 6K for the F228Be sold.

The airline cases secure the Revel cardboard shipping box inside and then the speaker fits inside the box. It's an amazing bit of protection. I have my F328Be airline cases sitting in the garage on their end. The two side by side measure 59" high x 27" deep x 45" wide. They have wheels on the bottom for easy traveling. You gotta love this level of over packing. :D

MatrixRabbit2

9K seems like a great trade price for the dealer. You might see what @amirm can sell you a pair of F328Be for? I imagine you might get $6,000 for the F228Be pair in like new condition. Sometimes, Revel has a F328Be "B" stock that was returned due to damage to the airline case. These get deep discounted. With a nice discount you may be able to get F328Be for near 12K minus 6K for the F228Be sold.

The airline cases secure the Revel cardboard shipping box inside and then the speaker fits inside the box. It's an amazing bit of protection. I have my F328Be airline cases sitting in the garage on their end. The two side by side measure 59" high x 27" deep x 45" wide. They have wheels on the bottom for easy traveling. You gotta love this level of over packing. :D
Thanks. I'm definitely open to saving money. I'm just curious if it's a solid move...or I would be more advised to go Salon2's. Even the Blade II's, B&W's, are all in this price arena.

Assume I can do $12-6K, costing me $6K. Versus $9K to have it put into place, no shipping, no effort. The convenience factor is definitely huge.

OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor
Thanks. I'm definitely open to saving money. I'm just curious if it's a solid move...or I would be more advised to go Salon2's. Even the Blade II's, B&W's, are all in this price arena.

Assume I can do $12-6K, costing me $6K. Versus $9K to have it put into place, no shipping, no effort. The convenience factor is definitely huge.

You won't know exact pricing until you check it all out. I really enjoy the F328Be but each persons preference is different. At some point you have to make a choice. I had B&W and was glad to move to Revel. Haven't tried Blade II but I'm happy with the F328Be. There is always another speaker to consider but sooner or later you like what you have or go broke. :D

Last edited:

Nkam

You won't know exact pricing until you check it all out. I really enjoy the F328Be but each persons preference is different. At some point you have to make a choice. I had B&W and was glad to move to Revel. Haven't tried Blade II but I'm happy with the F328Be. There is always another speaker to consider but sooner or later you like what you have or go broke. :D

I bet those in room measurements would change with the newer BMR HT tower which has more volume and more powerful mid drivers.

looks like the in room response dip was where the older ‘ weaker‘ BMR mid drivers are?

Last edited:

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I bet those in room measurements would change with the newer BMR HT tower which has more volume and more powerful mid drivers.

looks like the in room response dip was where the older ‘ weaker‘ BMR mid drivers are?
In-room measurements are very difficult to interpret. Just check out the Audioholics quasi-anechoic measurements of the BMR tower and the HT towers before you reach any conclusions.

Nkam

In-room measurements are very difficult to interpret. Just check out the Audioholics quasi-anechoic measurements of the BMR tower and the HT towers before you reach any conclusions.

yeah I know for sure.

I use REW and measure my room as speaker setup to me is paramount to good sound.
give me less than expensive speakers with great positioning and room setup than expensive speakers setup poorly.

But if he didn’t move the mic and replaced the speakers in the same spot they should be relatively similar. The bass and the tweeter freq are very similar of both the revel and BMR. In fact the bass On the BMR looks better and I would argue the tweeter performance looks better on the BMR as well.
that’s what lead me to believe the dip which occurs where the BMR mid drivers are might lead to the dip at a longer distance.
I can’t be sure of course because I wasn’t doing the measurements myself to do more measuring and experimenting.
a RT60 decay chart would be good as well.
of course if I were the user, I would have positioned the BMRs a bit further from the front wall. Putting the mic closer to the speakers at 10 feet vs 12 feet does not translate at all.

the newer BMR mid drivers on your HT towers are more powerful though , correct? Is that why the HT is also maybe a bit less wide dispersion as the regular BMR tower?

thanks

Nkam

It also seems like the vertical response of the HT is better than the regular BMR

That AMT tweeter seems unaffected by the vertical dispersion.
IMG_1031.jpeg
IMG_1030.jpeg

Beave

Major Contributor
One graph above is at 10 and 15 degrees off axis, while the other shows plots for 5 and 10 degrees off axis.

Nkam

One graph above is at 10 and 15 degrees off axis, while the other shows plots for 5 and 10 degrees off axis.

i don’t follow. Are you referring to that James put the off axis degrees in a different sequence on both graphs?

Beave

Major Contributor
The first shows plots for 10, 5, zero, -5, -10 degrees. The second shows plots for 0, 10, 15, -10, -15 degrees.

So not only are the orders different, but also the *angles* are different. You can compare 0 to 0, and 10 to 10, and -10 to -10, but you can't compare the 5 or -5 with anything, or the 15 or -15 with anything.

Nkam

The first shows plots for 10, 5, zero, -5, -10 degrees. The second shows plots for 0, 10, 15, -10, -15 degrees.

So not only are the orders different, but also the *angles* are different. You can compare 0 to 0, and 10 to 10, and -10 to -10, but you can't compare the 5 or -5 with anything, or the 15 or -15 with anything.

well yeah man.
but you can most definitely compare the ones which are the same. That’s my point.

regardless you can still assess easily that the vertical dispersion of the HT is smoother.
the AMT tweeter is virtually unaffected vertically which is super impressive.

Top Bottom