• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluos Node 2i & Ifi Micro iDSD

DavidNesbitt

I am a new audiophile and not very clued up about streaming and set ups and the basics. But I am keen to learn and get more into this hobby.

I have just bought the Node 2i and the Ifi Micro iDSD Black Label
The cable I am connecting is the Audioquest Forest Mini Toslink 6.5mm to 3.5mm
This is connected from the optical output to the Optical SPDIF input in the IFi dac/amp.

I am streaming Qobuz

The ifi unit has a light that shines different colours to show the mode it is operating in:

Blue Light - DSD256
Cyan - DSD128
Yellow - 176/192 DXD
Green - 44/48/88/96 KHz
Magenta - MQA

I have got the ifi dac with a yellow light when connected to qobuz with my mobile phone as the source and streamer

But when I use the Bluos I can only get it operating with a green light

I have got in touch with Ifi and they are asking what firmware I am using Windows or Mac (But I am not using my PC)
I have got in touch with Bluos and they have not come back to me
I have got in touch with the cable manufacturer and they have advised me to and directed me to the set up menu of the Bluos unit where I have set up MQA Playback
But it is not now playing back in MQA - with a magenta light it is still emitting a green light on the Ifi Dac

Can anyone help please? AS I want to get the most out of this kit

mermayer

To MQA with the Node 2i and external DAC:

If you have an external DAC that is certified by MQA, you may bypass Bluesound's MQA rendering process in the Bluesound NODE 2 or VAULT 2 and send the pure untouched music bits directly via TOSLink Optical or Digital COAX output for processing by your external DAC.

In the Player Selection Drawer, press the Settings icon next to the selected NODE 2 or VAULT 2
From the Audio Settings page, set Tone Controls to Off
Set Audio output levels to Fixed
MQA External DAC will no longer be grayed out, set this to Yes
Close Audio Settings

The Bluesound NODE 2 and VAULT 2 will now bypass MQA processing.

Your Bluesound NODE will decode MQA on a single unfolding of up to 24/96 on an external DAC that does not support MQA. So - you will be able to play MQA content. Depending on the content though you will max out at 24/48 or 24/96 at best.

OP
D

DavidNesbitt

Thanks very much - I have just done the following on the settings but tbh not sure if Qobuz streams in MQA? Is it just Tidal that streams MQA?
What is the difference between HIgh Res on Qobuz and Tidal in MQA?
The light is still green on the Ifi dac/amp which as you say is either 44/48/88/96KHz?

Do I need to move my music service to Tidal away from Qobuz to stream with the Bluos Node 2i in high res/MQA?

I dont understand that when I stream using my iphone on wifi in my home the light on the Ifi Dac/Amp goes to yellow which means it is receiving from the phone 176/192kHZ DXD 352/384KHz

Please all forgive my ignorance I am 4 weeks into this mad hobby chasing the perfect hifi and music playback!

mermayer

Is it just Tidal that streams MQA?

Yes

Do I need to move my music service to Tidal away from Qobuz to stream with the Bluos Node 2i in high res/MQA?

For MQA, yes.

What is the difference between HIgh Res on Qobuz and Tidal in MQA?

This is complicated and cannot be explained in one sentence. MQA is an "artificial format" and created to make money and is no HIRES.
MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

I dont understand that when I stream using my iphone on wifi in my home the light on the Ifi Dac/Amp goes to yellow which means it is receiving from the phone 176/192kHZ DXD 352/384KHz

How is the iPhone connected to the DAC?
I have read, that there are sometimes problems with Toslink on the Node 2i. It should often work better with coax.
Sorry, but i have no DAC with digital in to test. My RME ADI-2 DAC FS is ordered. I can test when I have received it.

Please all forgive my ignorance I am 4 weeks into this mad hobby chasing the perfect hifi and music playback!

No problem. We all started small.

OP
D

DavidNesbitt

Thats really helpful thanks

So should I try and get a different cable from the 2i to the Ifi Micro Black Label - will that get the output of high res to the amp/dac?

I want to stream in High Res. Am I better getting rid of the 2i and using my laptop and connecting that to the external Ifi dac/amp will that get the high res that I am looking for?

Ref the RME ADI-2 DAC FS just looked at that it gets good reviews - why are you going for just a dac separately and not a dac /amp
I was thinking already of upgrading and buying Topping DC70 Pro?

But now I am not sure if I should upgrade my streamer and not my dac /amp (as the black label gets really good reviews and is mobile as well) and get a desk top set up

My headphones I've bought are - I have some B&W PX7 and Campfire Andromeda IEMS

I want to stream in High Res whilst working at my home office desk and listening on headphones - I liked the Bluos because I have ethernet at my desk and liked the fact I could add on a dac / amp like the Ifi iDSD Black Label - but to be honest I am disappointed with it not streaming in high res with my new dac / amp attached

mermayer

So should I try and get a different cable from the 2i to the Ifi Micro Black Label - will that get the output of high res to the amp/dac?

Yes, it can be. Please wait until I have my DAC, then I will test this on my Node 2i.

I want to stream in High Res. Am I better getting rid of the 2i and using my laptop and connecting that to the external Ifi dac/amp will that get the high res that I am looking for?

The Node 2i is a good and versatile streamer. You can also connect your DAC to your laptop via USB.

Ref the RME ADI-2 DAC FS just looked at that it gets good reviews - why are you going for just a dac separately and not a dac /amp
I was thinking already of upgrading and buying Topping DC70 Pro?

The RME ADI-2 DAC FS is DAC + AMP.

OP
D

DavidNesbitt

Great thanks

I am looking to stream in high res I will try on my laptop tomorrow connected to the Ifi Black Label streaming through the Qobuz app
How do I bypass the dac/amp of my microsoft surface laptop? Does the USB output do this or do I need to do something else?

If that work I may get rid of the Node 2i - what would be a good upgrade to replace this streamer and buy as well as a separate dac /amp like the RME ADI-2

mermayer

Great thanks

I am looking to stream in high res I will try on my laptop tomorrow connected to the Ifi Black Label streaming through the Qobuz app
How do I bypass the dac/amp of my microsoft surface laptop? Does the USB output do this or do I need to do something else?

If that work I may get rid of the Node 2i - what would be a good upgrade to replace this streamer and buy as well as a separate dac /amp like the RME ADI-2

I got my RME ADI-2 DAC FS today (geile Kiste).
A test with HIRES data proves it: The Node 2i masters 192/24 on all outputs.
2021-03-16_16-35-37_IMG_1540_800x600.JPG

OP
D

DavidNesbitt

I got my RME ADI-2 DAC FS today (geile Kiste).
A test with HIRES data proves it: The Node 2i masters 192/24 on all outputs.
View attachment 118521
Hi Really appreciate that.
After seeing your reply I also looked into this DAC/AMP and got myself the same RME as you! I have ditched the Node 2i back in its box and was going to put it on ebay. So I have now started to stream from my PC with the RME and Qobuz through a USB cable (as provded as standard with the RME).
But to be honest not that blown away....Not sure if it is the set up.......?
Whats your thoughts of the RME so far and how are you streaming using the RME?

mermayer

Hi Really appreciate that.
After seeing your reply I also looked into this DAC/AMP and got myself the same RME as you! I have ditched the Node 2i back in its box and was going to put it on ebay. So I have now started to stream from my PC with the RME and Qobuz through a USB cable (as provded as standard with the RME).
But to be honest not that blown away....Not sure if it is the set up.......?
Whats your thoughts of the RME so far and how are you streaming using the RME?

I use my RME with the Node 2i (streaming + library) and, connected via USB, with RuneAudio running on a RB4 because of the cue sheet support for my FLAC files and for DSD files.
Both sounds great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom