• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluetooth with aptX-HD

Sawdust123

Bluetooth aptX-HD codec supports 24-bit audio, 48K audio. I am considering buying a BT receiver to add to my stereo in the short term and maybe getting a preamp with BT and network connectivity down the road. It is frustrating that many manufacturers don't advertise which codecs their BT implementation supports. The aptX-HD codec has been around since BT 4.2 if I recall correctly (~ 3 years). Qualcomm makes the chips everyone uses. However, the implementation can vary greatly in quality by choice of DAC and its proper implementation. Has anyone seen any reviews on the receivers? I am pretty sure AP's latest Bluetooth Duo option supports this codec.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluetooth aptX-HD codec supports 24-bit audio, 48K audio. I am considering buying a BT receiver to add to my stereo in the short term and maybe getting a preamp with BT and network connectivity down the road. It is frustrating that many manufacturers don't advertise which codecs their BT implementation supports. The aptX-HD codec has been around since BT 4.2 if I recall correctly (~ 3 years). Qualcomm makes the chips everyone uses. However, the implementation can vary greatly in quality by choice of DAC and its proper implementation. Has anyone seen any reviews on the receivers? I am pretty sure AP's latest Bluetooth Duo option supports this codec.
I'm using a BT receiver with aptX Codec, feeding my Classè Sigma SSP via Toslink. I haven't done any measurements yet but for my aging ears this wireless connection is transparent. Playing WAV or FLAC files from CDs via Smartphone and aptX sounds identical to playing the CD with a Tascam CDRW750 via SPDIF-Coax.

August

http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100008104.htm
FIIO有一个非常好的蓝牙接收器系列“brt”,它们使用CSR8675接收器芯片和独立的DAC以及链路中的RMAA测量。它们支持地球上的所有蓝牙协议,甚至需要获得许可的LDAC和HWA。

Dilliw

I do this very thing using the BluDento HD receiver ($99), an LG G6 phone ($150 used) in Aptx HD mode, a Samsung 128gb card ($20), 16 and 24 bit FLACs, and the stock LG player.

The BlueDento uses the latest Qualcomm receiver and a TI / Burr Brown PCM5102A DAC; I run it analog out straight to my amp. The biggest issue for me is forgetting to turn off my notifications on the phone before I sit down in my chair with my drink of choice :) . I will say that the range in HD vs standard Bluetooth is shorter but not significantly.

I also read the "How good is Bluetooth" article and have a/b'd against my computer/DAC combo. You won't miss anything IMO

OP
Sawdust123

Sawdust123

These articles (including some measurements) might be interesting for you, there seems to be another codec on the way...
https://www.soundguys.com/ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-20019/
http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-is-bluetooth-audio-at-its-best
The new Qualcomm QCC5100 series chips are already shipping. The aptX-Adaptive basically folds the features of aptX-LL and aptX-HD together and is backwards compatible. However, it does slightly increase the latency over the original aptX-LL. My guess is that this makes implementation easier for manufacturers but I am not sure how the user benefits. The new QCC5100 series released after the article was published seems to offer lower power consumption and True Wireless Stereo that can transmit a separate left and right signal directly to earbuds. Since I am looking for a home hi-fi solution, these features aren't important. However, I am looking at some earbuds that come out next month that feature this chip and have a 5 hour battery life.

Top Bottom