• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluetooth receiver with USB out

nacnudus

Is there such as thing as a Bluetooth receiver USB dongle that receives a Bluetooth audio transmission and emits it into a USB connection? It would be the opposite of an Avantree DG80, which receives a signal from a USB socket, and transmits it via Bluetooth. I've looked hard, and can't find such a thing for audio. If it exists, it would enable Bluetooth with the Topping D10s, which only has a USB input.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there such as thing as a Bluetooth receiver USB dongle that receives a Bluetooth audio transmission and emits it into a USB connection? It would be the opposite of an Avantree DG80, which receives a signal from a USB socket, and transmits it via Bluetooth. I've looked hard, and can't find such a thing for audio. If it exists, it would enable Bluetooth with the Topping D10s, which only has a USB input.

Not exactly but I use a Silex DS510 and with a wired connection it's just as reliable, if not more so, than BT. I also tried VirtualHere on a Pi 3 but even with a direct 1Gb connection the audio dropped frequently. Not sure what Silex does different from the open source options, but 192/24 streaming is no issue on my D10s, Sonata HD, and Meizu HiFi. For some reason my 9038S doesn't work at all, though, unless direct attached to the PC. I assume the Silex is linux under the hood so probably a driver problem.

I also tested wireless, it works well until I start a large upload/download. At that point there just isn't enough bandwidth to go around but I suspect a dedicated modern wireless network would be fine. Wrapping it in ASIO4ALL and maxxing the buffers via the offline interface was helpful on the Sonata; the D10s and Meizu don't seem to require that for whatever reason.

OP
N

nacnudus

Thanks. However, the device that is the source of the music doesn't have a USB connection, only Bluetooth, so the receiver must be bluetooth.

Taddpole

Only Bluetooth to USB receivers I've seen are for PCs rather than to go to a dac

Yasuo

Use a regular BT receiver and an analog to digital converter, but you'll further reduce the audio quality (obviously)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Pi Zero W is a cheap option. Pi 4 will do it too. Most of the 'usual suspects' on the software side will receive bluetooth audio and send it to USB, along with a variety of streaming options.

OP
N

nacnudus

Pi Zero W is a cheap option. Pi 4 will do it too. Most of the 'usual suspects' on the software side will receive bluetooth audio and send it to USB, along with a variety of streaming options.

Thanks, that's a good suggestion, and would work for old bluetooth codecs. I've just checked whether it supports aptx, and unfortunately it doesn't, but I didn't mention that as a requirement in my question.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would Qudelix 5k not be what you were looking for? Bluetooth dongle receiver/DAC/amplifier that has USB output.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
N

nacnudus

Would Qudelix 5k not be what you were looking for? Bluetooth dongle receiver/DAC/amplifier that has USB output.

That looks to me like a USB input, rather than output. The same socket is used to power it.

Top Bottom