• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluetooth receiver into DAC into power amplifier - would this work?

GreenField

Hello everyone!:)

New user here looking forward to benefit from and hopefully one day contribute to the great knowledge pool here.

I'm currently looking to put together a best-for-the budget or at least a great value-for-money stereo system with streaming abilities from our phones / tablet for our living room.
I'll measure the room and update the figures here, but I would expect it to be around 5x6 meters.

I'll need to place the speakers on top of furniture pretty close to the end wall. Currently I'm leaning toward a pair of the Dali Oberon 3's.

Eventually I'd probably want a proper streamer like the BlueSound Node or something like that, but for a beginning I am considering going with a low latency AptX Bluetooth receiver into a DAC and into a power amplifier (that I already have).

I would like input on whether it's possible to connect the following as described and your thoughts on whether this would be a good combination / possible alternatives:

1) 1Mii Bluetooth 5.0 HiFi Receiver: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B08P1PNRZP/?ref_=cm_wl_huc_item
(I've read the internal DAC, ES9018K2M, of this unit is good, but that some consider it a bit digital sounding)

Going optical out into

2) Topping D30 Pro DAC: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B08Z7...olid=1KV0CD6U94360&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Which also has a second digital input which I hope to use for our CD-player (I belive it has an optical out, so I'd probably need to use a toshlink to coaxial converter as the Topping only has one toshlink in. Side question: Are such converters any good?) I've read this DAC also can serve as a preamplifier.

Going RCA out into

3) A power amplifier I've inherited from my father. I believe it is a Thorens, but I'll look it up. Alternatively I could purchase a second hand quality power amplifier - thinking of NAD or the like.

Speaker wired to

4) Dali Oberon 3

Thank you for your input and happy holidays everyone !;)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @GreenField ! Welcome to ASR.

I would like input on whether it's possible to connect the following as described
Yes, definitely possible.

and your thoughts on whether this would be a good combination / possible alternatives:
The 1Mii is pretty overpriced considering its Bluetooth codec support and that you wouldn't even use the built in DAC.
I'd take a look at the Topping BC3 (LDAC for half the price), or go WiFi right away (WiiM/Raspberry Pi / used Chromecast Audio / wait for Chromecast Audio 2 release early next year)

OP
GreenField

GreenField

The 1Mii is pretty overpriced considering its Bluetooth codec support and that you wouldn't even use the built in DAC.
I'd take a look at the Topping BC3 (LDAC for half the price), or go WiFi right away (WiiM/Raspberry Pi / used Chromecast Audio / wait for Chromecast Audio 2 release early next year)
@staticV3 - Thanks! I’ll take a look at the Topping BC3. As I’m just learning about all these technologies now, I didn’t even know a Chromecast for audio existed. We use a regular Chromecast on one of our older TV’s. I’m not sure what a WiiM/Raspberry Pi is either, but I’ll try to read up on it.

Thanks again, your input is much appreciated!

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

Do you have any info or links regarding the Chromecast Audio 2 ?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
streaming abilities from our phones / tablet
Android or Apple? If Apple, a used AirPort Express works quite well. The output DAC measures pretty decently. Then you can try its optic output into another DAC, which you will buy from someplace you can return for a reasonable fee if you don't hear a difference. I have one system set up like that.

MCH

Major Contributor
2) Topping D30 Pro DAC: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B08Z7...olid=1KV0CD6U94360&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Which also has a second digital input which I hope to use for our CD-player (I belive it has an optical out, so I'd probably need to use a toshlink to coaxial converter as the Topping only has one toshlink in. Side question: Are such converters any good?) I've read this DAC also can serve as a preamplifier.
Greenfield, the topping d30 pro is a terrific preamp, but it is probably not the best choice to use with CD or DVD players, as its spdif inputs (both optical and coax) give clicks and dropouts with a lot of them. It is a lottery, can work perfectly with yours or not. You can see the d30 pro thread in this forum.

OP
GreenField

GreenField

Android or Apple? If Apple, a used AirPort Express works quite well. The output DAC measures pretty decently. Then you can try its optic output into another DAC, which you will buy from someplace you can return for a reasonable fee if you don't hear a difference. I have one system set up like that.

At the moment we have iPhones, but it would be nice if Android devices could be used as well for family and friends. Thanks for your suggestion - T'll look into the Airport Express - although we now also have a Wiim Mini Streamer - I'm just learning about these devices now, so I'm not sure if there would be an overlap of functions. We haven't hooked it up yet (because we don’t have anything to hook it up to yet) Thanks for your input and have a Happy New Year!:)

Last edited:
OP
GreenField

GreenField

Greenfield, the topping d30 pro is a terrific preamp, but it is probably not the best choice to use with CD or DVD players, as its spdif inputs (both optical and coax) give clicks and dropouts with a lot of them. It is a lottery, can work perfectly with yours or not. You can see the d30 pro thread in this forum.
Thank you so much for your word of warning! I was unaware of this issue with the Topping D30 pro. I'm now also looking into other possibilities and started a thread here in case you have further suggestions - Happy New Year!:)

Reactions: MCH

Macio

Hello everyone!
I’m in a similar position as GreenField trying to play music from my IPhone thru
Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 converter
Connected to
Musical Fiselity M2Si amplifier

Since I purchased the DAC, I’ve learnt that it will convert CD/DVD and other digital data but I’m worried it will be useless with Bluetooth streaming.

Is there any hope for me to be enjoying this set up from my phone?
Would the above mentioned receivers work with MF X-DAC V3?

Thanks in advance! ❤️

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @Macio! Welcome to ASR.

All of these Bluetooth and Airplay/DLNA receivers with Spdif output will work with your X-DAC V3.

Top Bottom