• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluetooth, Dacs and toslink vs 3.5mm and RCA - noob warning

jjjon

For the past two days I've been trying to understand what DAC's are and their importance to me and my intended uses, being bluetooth streaming and connecting my phone to an RCA or 3.5mm. I have attempted to ask elsewhere and watched and read a ton of content on this but there's a lot to take in and it's quite confusing to a noob so please bear with me in my attempt to understand this.

In choosing between a Cambridge AXR100 and AXR85, the main difference being the higher spec model in addition to more power, has a built in DAC. From what I have gathered so far, built in DAC's only work with toslink and optical connections, mostly from things like TV's and audio streamers.
So if I connect my phone or an ipad, which is where most of my media is stored, to a receiver or amp via RCA or 3.5mm, the built in DAC on the higher spec model still would not be utilized and the phone or device would be doing all the decoding? Is that a correct understanding, would this mean, for this specific purpose of listening, that the two models are equal in what they are able to produce as far as sound quality?

Both models I'm looking at have a bluetooth receiver built in, also something I plan on using often. From what I've been told by others on reddit, the onboard bluetooth have their own DAC. So going with the higher spec model would not gain me any advantage in this regard, just like with the 3.5mm and RCA option.
If for instance, i buy an external bluetooth module and connect it to the ACR100 via optiocal, would that somehow provide better or higher quality audio than from using the built in bluetooth module.

I may also connect the system to my tv, so I would ask if there is a huge difference if I use the rca connection on the AXR85 vs the optical on the AXR100 for occasional use?

Thanks in advance, I'm not trying to talk myself out of the higher spec version, just trying to understand better what I would be getting using the two models as comparison.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're freaking out. Sit down in a dark room and decompress.

DAC itself is relatively meaningless compared to how the unit functions for your needs....don't even see a reason to use BT myself, and several streaming services don't need it. If your computer's dac is sufficient it's sufficient....hard to know if you have an issue.

OP
J

jjjon

Yeah, the pro DAC lobby seems to have don their job here lol.

Just to clarify, I will be connecting it to my phone and tab or ipad exclusively via RCA or Bluetooth, not a computer.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you dont need one with the built in dac.

Penelinfi

3.5mm output would use the phone's inbuilt DAC, or if you use a dongle cable, the DAC is actually inside the dongle.
You could use a portable DAC with USB C/lightning input if you think the specs of the phone/dongle are not enough. Some have been measured

Top Bottom