• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluetooth aptX HD from Windows 10 PC to Topping D50s

OP
J

JClarkw

You are correct, I just assumed it supported AptX-HD, but it doesn't. The options are LDAC-HQ, LDAC-Normal, LDAC Auto, AptX, AAC and SBC. I have always used LDAC Auto - LDAC HQ offered no audible benefit to me and the connection was definitely more fragile than Normal or Auto.

Do you have a particular need for AptX-HD? In theory, LDAC is superior, in practice it probably makes little difference.

Berwhale -- No particular need for aptX-HD, since the D50s says it supports "LDAC" (whatever flavor that means to it -- I find the Topping instructions very cryptic!). I still can't find those specs for the M0 anywhere, but I guess there's a setting in the software where you tell it what to do? If it connects, I guess we can assume it connects with the Codec you specify... (To bad neither device is telling us what's actually in use!)

I see Shanling also have a USB driver for download, but I've never heard of a .RAR file, so I've no idea what it is. Did you bother with that? -- JClarkW

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Specs for the M0 are here: http://en.shanling.com/product/222

Instructions for using the M0 as a transmitter are hard to find. The M0 gained the ability to act as a transmitter with v2.5 of the firmware and the instructions are included in the download. I've attached them to this post for reference.

.RAR is a type of compressed file, similar to a .ZIP. There are plenty of free tools available that will open and extract files from them.

I do have the Shanling driver installed, although it's not necessary.

Attachments

• M0 Fw 2.5 new features.pdf
    185.1 KB · Views: 949
OP
J

JClarkw

Specs for the M0 are here: http://en.shanling.com/product/222

Instructions for using the M0 as a transmitter are hard to find. The M0 gained the ability to act as a transmitter with v2.5 of the firmware and the instructions are included in the download. I've attached them to this post for reference...

Berwhale -- Sorry I'm being so dense. I did find the specs (a different version is in the User's Manual), but as far as I can see neither gives the supported Bluetooth CODECs. The closest I've seen so far (in the attachment you just posted, thank you!) are the following two statements under "USB Bluetooth transmitter":

"Allowing any computer to stream music over Bluetooth in high quality, using USB cable connection."
"Bluetooth quality will be displayed in status bar of Shanling player."

The latter, in particular, is puzzling because you said you could not determine which CODEC is in use. Could you double-check this? -- JClarkW

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Berwhale -- Sorry I'm being so dense. I did find the specs (a different version is in the User's Manual), but as far as I can see neither gives the supported Bluetooth CODECs. The closest I've seen so far (in the attachment you just posted, thank you!) are the following two statements under "USB Bluetooth transmitter":

"Allowing any computer to stream music over Bluetooth in high quality, using USB cable connection."
"Bluetooth quality will be displayed in status bar of Shanling player."

The latter, in particular, is puzzling because you said you could not determine which CODEC is in use. Could you double-check this? -- JClarkW

Yes, it's displaying LDAC in the title bar. I'd missed this previously because as soon as I plug it into my PC, it goes into DAC mode and I only see the screen I posted previously. None of the controls work in DAC mode, so you can't get to any other screens while the cable is plugged in.

I also noticed that the Fiio M5 can also function as a transmitter, however, I can't see if this includes when it's in DAC mode.

https://www.fiio.com/m5

I note that is supports a subset of codecs for transmit...

Bluetooth receive: SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX HD/LDAC
Bluetooth transmit: SBC/aptX/LDAC

*edit* No, it won't output to Bt when in DAC mode...

https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/263853.html

Last edited:
OP
J

JClarkw

In theory, you can use a Shanling M0 as a USB DAC and Bluetooth transmitter to connect to the D50s (and both support AptX HD and LDAC)...

http://en.shanling.com/article/108

I have both devices, i'll see if I can get them to connect.

*edit* It works. First, you connect the M0 to the D50s via Bluetooth. Then you connect the M0 to our PC...

OUTSTANDING! -- I finally got one, added a micro-SD card (apparently required to update the FW), and tested it with my Node 2 (AptX only). Not only does it sound pretty good, but the Bluetooth range is excellent! The perfect solution to my needs. Thanks again! -- JClarkW

OP
J

JClarkw

In theory, you can use a Shanling M0 as a USB DAC and Bluetooth transmitter to connect to the D50s (and both support AptX HD and LDAC)...
*edit* It works. First, you connect the M0 to the D50s via Bluetooth. Then you connect the M0 to your PC. My M0 is set to LDAC(Auto)...

Hey, Berwhale (if you're still here) -- Following your very clear instructions, I was able to connect the M0 to my BlueSound Node 2 streaming system via Bluetooth APTX and to my computer via the Shanling driver in order to stream music from computer to Node 2 (as noted in my last post).

Now I'm trying, but not succeeding, to connect the M0 to my Topping D50s DAC via Bluetooth LDAC (and to the computer the same way) to stream music to the D50s. I performed the following steps:
1) Turned off Bluetooth on the Node 2 (just to simplify things).
2) Connected the external antenna and turned on Bluetooth on the D50s. Set its input to BT.
3) In the M0's Settings/Bluetooth menu, set "Quality" to LDAC(Auto) and "Search"ed. Search did not find ANYTHING.
4) Noted under "Paired" that the Node 2 was still listed, and disconnected it. "Search" still does not find the D50s, no matter how close I put the M0.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? -- JClarkw

OP
J

JClarkw

OK, thanks -- I've sent tech support queries to both companies. I'll post if I figure it out. -- JClarkw

Top Bottom