• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluetooth and DAC chip

panther

Hi all,
I couldn’t find this when I searched the forums. My basic question is when you have a DAC that has the ability to transmit via Bluetooth, say a topping D90. Is it using the AKM 4499 chip still when playing to a Bluetooth device like a Wireless headphone or is that only when using a wired input like xlr,rca or optical.
Basically I’m wondering if it is overkill to get a D90 to play only to wireless headphones and speakers over a lower priced DAC like a d50.
Hope that my question is clear.
Thanks

ScofieldKid

Er, yeah. I think you answered your own question. The DAC inside the wireless headphones will be the limitting factor. Ah, forgot to mention you are searching for LDAC, so getting bluetooth that matches...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Er, yeah. I think you answered your own question. The DAC inside the wireless headphones will be the limitting factor. Ah, forgot to mention you are searching for LDAC, so getting bluetooth that matches...

Hi all,
I couldn’t find this when I searched the forums. My basic question is when you have a DAC that has the ability to transmit via Bluetooth, say a topping D90. Is it using the AKM 4499 chip still when playing to a Bluetooth device like a Wireless headphone or is that only when using a wired input like xlr,rca or optical.
Basically I’m wondering if it is overkill to get a D90 to play only to wireless headphones and speakers over a lower priced DAC like a d50.
Thanks
First response answers your question. But I want to know, what device /source would you be using INTO the dac (d90/d50 etc). And why can't you just use that device (or indeed any phone /pc/tablet) to Bluetooth to the headphones /speaker?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Hi all,
Thanks
Isn't the bluetooth on dac(s) receive only?

OP
P

panther

Thanks for your replies.
My music is all through my computer at this time.
I had been thinking of getting a Topping D70 or 90 DAC and a headphone AMP to connect some Sennheiser HD660s and speakers I have (currently Vanatoo T0, thinking of getting Kanto Tuk down the road.)
I thought though I might like to get rid of some wires on my desk by getting PX7 headphones or something simillar to that as well as not needing wires to my speaker from the DAC.
I think I misunderstood what the DAC is doing with Bluetooth though, it doesn't pair to the speakers or headphones in most cases directly to eliminate the speaker cables, it is pairing with the computer itself eliminating the USB cable to the computer.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your replies.
My music is all through my computer at this time.
I had been thinking of getting a Topping D70 or 90 DAC and a headphone AMP to connect some Sennheiser HD660s and speakers I have (currently Vanatoo T0, thinking of getting Kanto Tuk down the road.)
I thought though I might like to get rid of some wires on my desk by getting PX7 headphones or something simillar to that as well as not needing wires to my speaker from the DAC.
I think I misunderstood what the DAC is doing with Bluetooth though, it doesn't pair to the speakers or headphones in most cases directly to eliminate the speaker cables, it is pairing with the computer itself eliminating the USB cable to the computer.
But I fear you are still missing the trick. Just take the px7. The whole point of the bt headphones is that you need neither the wires nor the desktop dac nor the headphone amp!

OP
P

panther

But I fear you are still missing the trick. Just take the px7. The whole point of the bt headphones is that you need neither the wires nor the desktop dac nor the headphone amp!
Yeah I think I didn't get what the DAC's were doing with Bluetooth. It makes sense now. I will probably just live with the wires from the headphones and speakers at this time.

Top Bottom