• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node vs Volumio primo

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

Did you listen to the Node 2 with it's integrated DAC and HP amplifier ?
Or as you said in a previous post, did you use both Node and Volumio as a simple transport without using DAC/HP Amp ?

Regards.

OP
nikkon

nikkon

I use both as simple transport. I want the digital signal to be transformed by the DAC.
Considering my answer, the initial concern may look stupid, however may be USB transport differnet from the COAX output (Jlsounds xmos) I used on Volumio

Grotti

Forum Donor
I don't want to comment on the topic of upgrading "low noise psu" (just browse ASR for information) but I would suggest blind testing (level matched of course) to confirm that they really sound different...

OP
nikkon

nikkon

I don't want to comment on the topic of upgrading "low noise psu" (just browse ASR for information) but I would suggest blind testing (level matched of course) to confirm that they really sound different...
the PSU upgrade was...let's say...a fad i just wanted to do :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for the feedback. I am going to use it with my dac via spdif
I have a volumio today...it works, but sometimes i need to reinstall everything all over :(
Same here... I am a bit sour on Volumio... I downloaded a pre-final version (3.0) and it had everything I needed, including EQ for my headphones.. Then after being pleased and ecstatic for a few months, it just, with no warning lost the EQ plug-in, then Spotify connect. I re-installed, the, now, final version .. EQ plugin is gone.. And Spotify-connect works sometimes.. most often not. The differences in prices are however substantial. The cobbled-up Raspberry Pi + Volumio is about $140.oo complete .. whereas the Blue Sound Node is around $500... or more...Thus ... my query.

Peace.

Grotti

Forum Donor
Same here... I am a bit sour on Volumio... I downloaded a pre-final version (3.0) and it had everything I needed, including EQ for my headphones.. Then after being pleased and ecstatic for a few months, it just, with no warning lost the EQ plug-in, then Spotify connect. I re-installed, the, now, final version .. EQ plugin is gone.. And Spotify-connect works sometimes.. most often not. The differences in prices are however substantial. The cobbled-up Raspberry Pi + Volumio is about $140.oo complete .. whereas the Blue Sound Node is around $500... or more...Thus ... my query.

Peace.
I have to admit that Volumio can behave a little strange sometimes. I noticed a few months ago that Volumio was not able to look for new updates and therefore couldn't be updated anymore. After two E-Mails they offered me a team viewer session where someone tried to coach me through a forced update. After he realized, that I wasn't able to follow his instructions (I am not familiar with Linux, not a single bit...) he took over and fixed the bug. And they charged me.... nothing! I asked him if he would accept a donation and his answer was : "No! Just buy some music instead and enjoy".

Volumio might have some annoying bugs from time to time but their customers service is priceless IMHO.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also don't want to add one ore subscription .. I've too many already and these are insidious.. $10.oo for this, $9.oo for that, 5.oo for another, $15 for these, $30 for those... before you realize it, you are paying over $300.oo/month in subscriptions, that you hardly have the time to use or remember...
I will likely go for a one-shot dea. Perhaps the node 2i.. be done and well.

If anyone can point me to a better solution, based on the Raspberry Pi-4, I am all ears...

peace

Eddy

I can confirm some statements made before:
I started with the RPi4 + Volumio (and also other streaming software like Moode). I used it for about an year. It worked but it was not very stable. So I sold my RPi4 and bought the Blusound Node N130. It it much more stable now. I am quite happy now.
Of course it is not very satisfying to buy the Blusound "just" for its streaming capabilities (I use the RME Pro as DAC) but for me it is worth.

LuvTheMusic

Peace.
Regarding the price, unless you definitely need USB output instead of using S/PDIF (coax) or TOSLINK (optical), you might want to check out a used Node. (USB output was added only for the current Node.) The current version is (confusingly) called just "Node"; the previous version was "Node 2i", and the original version was called "Node". There may have been another version in there somewhere as well. Anyway, earlier versions may suit your need and are readily available on the used market. So far as I know, even the oldest ones will upgrade to the current software version -- of course, that's minus any newer features, such as the USB output -- and some earlier versions may not support higher resolutions, e.g., 192/24.

Chris M

LIving the audio can be so easy with these devices. You get a super good result for little money with the raspberry pi 4, no matter if you use Moode Audio or Volumio. You also get a somewhat unwieldy operation from time to time with something completely free of charge and ultimately have a do-it-yourself device. No problem with that, but connect a radio station or quickly search the local network for any record among 20,000 titles.
The Bluesound costs a lot more money, is as good as the Raspberry at the digital output, while the internal converter is probably better/worse than the Raspberry. You get great service, many features that mostly work properly and if you sell the device, you have a reasonable resale value and a purchase solution.
I try it again and again with the raspberry but always come back to the bluesound which I can also run wonderfully on my Topping E50. Even the operation of an ancient Teufel streamer, here the current one (https://teufel.de/search?q=teufel streamer)
is significantly better and the software is still maintained.
PS... here in Germany the old device is also known as the Raumfeld 2 Streamer and used to cost around 50 euros.

CMB

I just wanted to thank everyone for their personal experience report here. I am using a Node (3) since when it came out. It streams all day reliable Tidal, Spotify and from an external disc, through an external DAC.

For another set-up, I was recently wondering/checking myself about alternatives instead another Node.
Gosh, all I have read here, just confirms me that for me, and my preferences, the Node was the really best pick.
I wouldn't know much what to complain about.

Stress-free and reliable listening experience, and that for a still reasonable price.
There are plenty more expensive streamers which I still wonder what they could offer more.

Maybe also anecdotal, but I wouldn't want to miss the top panel touch controls with presets anymore.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Great thread comparing BlueSound and Volumio.

One killer feature on Volumio that BlueSound doesn't have (I believe), is the support for touchscreen monitor.

I plan on getting a Volumio over Bluesound for this exact reason.

BigFKahuna

Hi all,

I need your help deciding between these 2 options. I currently have a Volumio (DYI + Jlsounds processor) connected to my DAC. It died recently.
I am looking to buy something already build. As I am not using their attached DAC and will connect it directly to my own I was wandering which one to choose. There is no Node dac vs Primo dac choice.
Volumio Primo HIFI seems the first choice, but the software needs polishing.
Node is solid in terms of integrations and the UI is cool.
I'm not sure which one is best from the sound quality / transport perspective
I had the node (2021) and was very happy with it, you would have to spend a lot more to get more in my opinion.

LuvTheMusic

One killer feature on Volumio that BlueSound doesn't have (I believe), is the support for touchscreen monitor.

Not to try to change your mind, but for clarification: the BluOS app (to control the Node) runs on Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS, all of which are (or can be) touchscreen devices. In other words, if by "touchscreen" you mean tapping/swiping to control the device, BluOS does that.

To clarify further, the BluOS software controls Bluesound hardware, such as the Node. It also works with some third-party equipment, e.g., from NAD. The Bluesound/BluOS model is that the control functions are (mostly) not on the Bluesound hardware; instead, the BluOS app runs on whatever (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.) and that controls the Bluesound device wirelessly.

Hope that helps!

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Since one can easily control the Node using a dirt cheap Android tablet, this reasoning has never made sense to me.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Not to try to change your mind, but for clarification: the BluOS app (to control the Node) runs on Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS, all of which are (or can be) touchscreen devices. In other words, if by "touchscreen" you mean tapping/swiping to control the device, BluOS does that.

To clarify further, the BluOS software controls Bluesound hardware, such as the Node. It also works with some third-party equipment, e.g., from NAD. The Bluesound/BluOS model is that the control functions are (mostly) not on the Bluesound hardware; instead, the BluOS app runs on whatever (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.) and that controls the Bluesound device wirelessly.

Hope that helps!
Hi @LuvTheMusic thanks so much for taking the time to explain the BluOS touch capabilities.

You are exactly right, what I meant was connecting external HDMI touchscreen monitors to BluOS devices (eg. Node) and then using the touchscreen monitor to control playback and playlists etc.

In this case, I don't think Node even outputs HDMI video or plays album arts. And it lacks a native app on streamers too like on Nvidia. I see on bluesound forums that many Bluesound users are requesting for this feature.

That's why I concluded, for situations that require interacting with streamer on an touchscreen external screen, Volumio is a better solution.

I am not saying Bluesound Node is bad at all, especially for people who just want to interact via their touchscreen phones, tablet and computers, then the Node is perfectly competent streamer/DAC in a package with much better price.

sadycus

Hi guys, first time poster long time lurker around here. Great community and great info.
I'm in front of a sound dilemma as i'm in the middle of a new stereo config setup and i don't know what to choose between the two.
I want to use it as a streamer and use it's integrated DAC but i also want it to be able to stream/play DSDs.
Should i go for the Primo or there are other options in that price range?
Thanks

BigFKahuna

Hi guys, first time poster long time lurker around here. Great community and great info.
I'm in front of a sound dilemma as i'm in the middle of a new stereo config setup and i don't know what to choose between the two.
I want to use it as a streamer and use it's integrated DAC but i also want it to be able to stream/play DSDs.
Should i go for the Primo or there are other options in that price range?
Thanks

sadycus

I already have a Cambridge Audio 851a as amplifier and a NAS server as storage for my music. I only need the transport and DAC and that Primo was winking at me. Would i be able to find anything else to compete in that price range?(700-800euro)?

Top Bottom