• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node vs Volumio primo

nikkon

Hi all,

I need your help deciding between these 2 options. I currently have a Volumio (DYI + Jlsounds processor) connected to my DAC. It died recently.
I am looking to buy something already build. As I am not using their attached DAC and will connect it directly to my own I was wandering which one to choose. There is no Node dac vs Primo dac choice.
Volumio Primo HIFI seems the first choice, but the software needs polishing.
Node is solid in terms of integrations and the UI is cool.
I'm not sure which one is best from the sound quality / transport perspective

LuvTheMusic

Hi all,

I need your help deciding between these 2 options. I currently have a Volumio (DYI + Jlsounds processor) connected to my DAC. It died recently.
I am looking to buy something already build. As I am not using their attached DAC and will connect it directly to my own I was wandering which one to choose. There is no Node dac vs Primo dac choice.
Volumio Primo HIFI seems the first choice, but the software needs polishing.
Node is solid in terms of integrations and the UI is cool.
I'm not sure which one is best from the sound quality / transport perspective
On the positive side for Node: I have been using the current Node for several months, and prior to that used a different BluOS-based streamer for a year. For me, with use of an external DAC eliminating any sonic issues, the convenience factor trumps all: the Node with BluOS just works, period. I turn the thing on, select whatever music I want (via streaming, from the CD transport, or from a small library of music on an NAS device), and it plays. Updates to both Node firmware and the BluOS control software come along occasionally and install without fuss or muss.

The Mode is not the cheapest solution out there, but I'm amortizing the cost over years -- and there are no subscription or update fees. Minimizing the time and potential frustration that I needed to spend getting things working (aside from a new minutes setting up initial network connection, none) and keeping things going (also none) and having access to native streaming from most services (except Apple Music, of course) is worth some extra expense for me; YMMV.

BTW, a used Node 2i, and likely even earlier versions, would work just as well except for lack of USB output. (At the point in time when I needed the unit, I was able to get the new one for about the same price as an older one.) If USB on is not an issue, you might want to check Node 2i prices.

OP
nikkon

nikkon

thanks for the feedback. I am going to use it with my dac via spdif
I have a volumio today...it works, but sometimes i need to reinstall everything all over :(

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Node isn't really cost-effective unless you use its internal DAC. Otherwise, a Raspberry Pi or equivalent will stream to your DAC for a fraction of the Node's cost.
I have a volumio today...it works, but sometimes i need to reinstall everything all over :(
That said, the Node would solve this problem.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
On the positive side for Node: I have been using the current Node for several months, and prior to that used a different BluOS-based streamer for a year. For me, with use of an external DAC eliminating any sonic issues, the convenience factor trumps all: the Node with BluOS just works, period. I turn the thing on, select whatever music I want (via streaming, from the CD transport, or from a small library of music on an NAS device), and it plays. Updates to both Node firmware and the BluOS control software come along occasionally and install without fuss or muss.

The Mode is not the cheapest solution out there, but I'm amortizing the cost over years -- and there are no subscription or update fees. Minimizing the time and potential frustration that I needed to spend getting things working (aside from a new minutes setting up initial network connection, none) and keeping things going (also none) and having access to native streaming from most services (except Apple Music, of course) is worth some extra expense for me; YMMV.

BTW, a used Node 2i, and likely even earlier versions, would work just as well except for lack of USB output. (At the point in time when I needed the unit, I was able to get the new one for about the same price as an older one.) If USB on is not an issue, you might want to check Node 2i prices.
I agree and have a similar history and response. I had a 2i as my first streamer and concur on ease of use and lack of "fuss". I upgraded to the current version and really liked the improvements to the top panel, giving me access to 5 presets without any other device needed to start listening. Then, after reading all the threads here and Amir's lackluster review of the earlier model, I added a SOTA DAC, the SMSL M400, along with a Tidal subscription to MQA versions. I couldn't hear the difference using the DAC or MQA. I sold the DAC and discontinued the MQA subscription. I hear all the complaints about cost vs. a Pi solution, which is absolutely not for me. The features, ease of use, and having more time to enjoy the music rather than "putter" to get it right... it's great. I've had the 2i, then the current model and I'm considering a used Powernode to go with a pair of Revel M16s I just got for under $700 new!!! My main rig is just the Node, vintage MC7300, ML 1100x sub and vintage Sonus Faber Cremonas. Really simple... and really... really easy and enjoyable to listen to. There seems to be a robust secondary market for most Node models, so if you don't like it, you won't take a big bite. I think it's satisfies the place between $200 Pi based streamers and $1500 boxes. Gotta go... all this talk about listening has me wondering why I'm not doing just that right now...

1653072119773.jpeg

Attachments

• 1653072038822.png
    1653072038822.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 210

REK2575

For me, with use of an external DAC eliminating any sonic issues, the convenience factor trumps all: the Node with BluOS just works, period. I turn the thing on, select whatever music I want (via streaming, from the CD transport, or from a small library of music on an NAS device), and it plays. Updates to both Node firmware and the BluOS control software come along occasionally and install without fuss or muss.

^Very much this. I've had a pair of 2i Nodes in my home for a couple of years now. I've used them almost daily. They are trouble-free. Like LuvTheMusic says: they just work.

They were pricey when I bought them and they're more expensive today. So I get the folks who say, just go the Raspberry Pi route. However, in terms of convenience, reliability, and amortizing the cost over time: to me the Node is very much worth the asking price. I do have mine hooked up via coaxial out to another DAC, but to be honest, it's probably not necessary. I know the Node's DAC showed lousy results in Amir's review, but whether I could actually hear a difference between the native DAC and a Topping... I just don't know. If you want peace of mind, just get a cheap Topping E30 DAC and hook the node up to it.

PenguinMusic

Hi,

If you ask me, I think there are three different possibilities :
- you want something that is plug and play and that you will use with an external DAC : the Node 2 might be the option because everyone says it's simple to use but measures from Amirm say taht the internal DAC has really poor performance ;
- you want something that is plug and play that you can use as a stand alone streamer + DAC : the Volumio Primo might be the one for you ;
- you want something that you're ready to spend some time on (about 2/3 hours) and spend A LOT less AND have the opportunity to build for your own needs : then a Raspberry Pi4 with Volumio or moOde + a Digi+ card and/or a DAC with AKM 4493 or ESS9038 will be something to consider.

As far a I am concerned, I went for the Pi4 option. I already had that for my daughter during lockdown. I bought an open acrylic case + 2 GPIO ribbons and 1 AKM Digi card to have I2S; spdif and coaxila outpout + 1 AK4493 DAC card. Both cards + Ribbons and case = 150€ approximately.

You'll get a devie that can be used as a streamer only or as a streamer + DAC ; that is easy to use ; that has about every digital output you may require and can be used as a DAC.
Me, I have that connected :
- to Topping E30 DAC + A30 HPA with Toslink ;
- to AUNE S6 (DAC + HPA) with coaxial ;
- to AUNE x7s (HPA) with RCA (analog).

All three can work at the same time without any problem :)

And that thing is controlled with my Xiaomi Pad 5 tablet that makes it a dream to command :)

Regards.

LuvTheMusic

Hi,

If you ask me, I think there are three different possibilities :
- you want something that is plug and play and that you will use with an external DAC : the Node 2 might be the option because everyone says it's simple to use but measures from Amirm say taht the internal DAC has really poor performance ;
- you want something that is plug and play that you can use as a stand alone streamer + DAC : the Volumio Primo might be the one for you ;
- you want something that you're ready to spend some time on (about 2/3 hours) and spend A LOT less AND have the opportunity to build for your own needs : then a Raspberry Pi4 with Volumio or moOde + a Digi+ card and/or a DAC with AKM 4493 or ESS9038 will be something to consider.

As far a I am concerned, I went for the Pi4 option. I already had that for my daughter during lockdown. I bought an open acrylic case + 2 GPIO ribbons and 1 AKM Digi card to have I2S; spdif and coaxila outpout + 1 AK4493 DAC card. Both cards + Ribbons and case = 150€ approximately.

You'll get a devie that can be used as a streamer only or as a streamer + DAC ; that is easy to use ; that has about every digital output you may require and can be used as a DAC.
Me, I have that connected :
- to Topping E30 DAC + A30 HPA with Toslink ;
- to AUNE S6 (DAC + HPA) with coaxial ;
- to AUNE x7s (HPA) with RCA (analog).

All three can work at the same time without any problem :)

And that thing is controlled with my Xiaomi Pad 5 tablet that makes it a dream to command :)

Regards.
PenguinMusic puts it well -- there are indeed multiple choices depending on priorities. (Special thanks to PM and to Apesbrain for polite phrasing along these lines. Other threads regarding the Node have implied that anyone choosing something other than a Rapsberry Pi was an idiot, or worse.)

The choice is closely related to the valuation of one's time and/or enjoyment in getting things working. I place a high value on my time, and I find the inevitable glitches along the way frustrating. Thus, for me, paying a little extra is an easy tradeoff. (Yes, I consider a couple of hundred bucks amortized over several years a "little" extra in the great scheme of things; I would have thought quite differently in, say, my student days!)

And the idea of having to reinstall "everything" occasionally would drive me straight up the wall; I would pay a lot extra to avoid that frustration. Those who find the glitches in getting and keeping things working more like enjoyable challenges will think differently as well.

PenguinMusic

PenguinMusic puts it well -- there are indeed multiple choices depending on priorities. (Special thanks to PM and to Apesbrain for polite phrasing along these lines. Other threads regarding the Node have implied that anyone choosing something other than a Rapsberry Pi was an idiot, or worse.)

The choice is closely related to the valuation of one's time and/or enjoyment in getting things working. I place a high value on my time, and I find the inevitable glitches along the way frustrating. Thus, for me, paying a little extra is an easy tradeoff. (Yes, I consider a couple of hundred bucks amortized over several years a "little" extra in the great scheme of things; I would have thought quite differently in, say, my student days!)

And the idea of having to reinstall "everything" occasionally would drive me straight up the wall; I would pay a lot extra to avoid that frustration. Those who find the glitches in getting and keeping things working more like enjoyable challenges will think differently as well.
Hi,

I perfectly get you.
And I am in the same camp as yours.

If I've chosen the Pi4 solution, it is not because I think that it would produce better sound.
Or because I think that those buying an all-in-on solution are idiots who do not want to learn :)

And, to be perfectly honest, I have been tracking a good second hand deal for the Node (or for other similar solutions. The iFi Stream gets high praises too).
But I could find none and thus have been on the budget side of things.
And as I already had the Raspberry pi4, buying the case (20€) the 3 ribbons (10€) the Digi card (30€) and the DAC card (100€) was something I could afford.

I must say that I encountered some glitches when setting up the thing.
But since it is set-up, no problems whatsoever.
And I am myself always amazed that this little beast is so "stable"...

I decided to take moOde instead of Volumio (open-source).
I run the music from a NAS with Emby server (because it offers the Album Artist tag).
And everything is remotely commanded via HiFi Cast (add 7€ for the app).

And I try to convince myself that I made the right choice for the followng reasons :
- most "versatile" solution ;
- custom tailored ;
- hope to have something that may follow new standards...

This last thing is the thing that worries me most in "all-in-one" solutions : Bluesound or any other manufacturer may come with a new device that will sport a feature you want but need to buy a brand new device when I hope to be able to just "upgrade" mine... But I'm not using this for ling enough to be sure :)

OP
nikkon

nikkon

Thank you all for all you comments. Helps having different perspective.
With the dyi - well I’ve been there a few times ( started with building my own super simple 1541 dacs and finishing with my all mighty streamer ( tinkerboard (today rpi because it simply died one day) + jlsounds usb3V3 ( board is especially designed for asynchronous audio transfer) + liniar psu + volumio). This toy streams spdif to my DAC ( pictures attached)
It works, however from time to time the sd card dies or the rpi => full reinstall
my question to you : if I use the same spdif to connect my DAC to any streamer, will I see differences? ( theoretically it will bypass its own internal DAC)
on a few reviews for the Primo, it has been stated that it offers way better details and dynamics compare to the node. That‘s where I’m …lost.

Attachments

• 54285AA9-8BBD-4EA8-85F3-1753A769A71E.jpeg
    54285AA9-8BBD-4EA8-85F3-1753A769A71E.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 5646A26B-49E7-41DB-BDF2-9A3D203165C1.jpeg
    5646A26B-49E7-41DB-BDF2-9A3D203165C1.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 916

LuvTheMusic

Thank you all for all you comments. Helps having different perspective.
With the dyi - well I’ve been there a few times ( started with building my own super simple 1541 dacs and finishing with my all mighty streamer ( tinkerboard (today rpi because it simply died one day) + jlsounds usb3V3 ( board is especially designed for asynchronous audio transfer) + liniar psu + volumio). This toy streams spdif to my DAC ( pictures attached)
It works, however from time to time the sd card dies or the rpi => full reinstall
my question to you : if I use the same spdif to connect my DAC to any streamer, will I see differences? ( theoretically it will bypass its own internal DAC)
on a few reviews for the Primo, it has been stated that it offers way better details and dynamics compare to the node. That‘s where I’m …lost.\
Just to be clear, you are asking whether there would be any difference in sound for the following: substitute one streamer for another (say a Node for a Pi or vice versa), where both streamers are connected to an external DAC via S/PIDF (coax).

If that's right, I think that the consensus answer at ASR is no, assuming the same streaming source, nothing is literally broken, etc. That is, the bit stream coming from either streamer should be identical, which means that the sound through the same DAC should be identical as well.

OP
nikkon

nikkon

That is exactly the question. thank you

OP
nikkon

nikkon

it does now :)

OP
nikkon

nikkon

I just oredered a Node + linear low noise PSU. I am curious to see how it will compare to the volumio build I have.
I was super close to order the Atoll MS120, however I will use it only as transport. I don't intend to use the DAC.

OP
nikkon

nikkon

after a bit of waiting, I got the Node (last gen) + Low noise PSU and I am using USB to connect my external DAC
the first impression i have compared to VOlumio is that this setup misses some resolution...It may be just my imagination or the new pair of speakers being too new :)
fun fact: Volumio just released their new streamer solution 2 days after I got the node :facepalm:

PenguinMusic

after a bit of waiting, I got the Node (last gen) + Low noise PSU and I am using USB to connect my external DAC
the first impression i have compared to VOlumio is that this setup misses some resolution...It may be just my imagination or the new pair of speakers being too new :)
fun fact: Volumio just released their new streamer solution 2 days after I got the node :facepalm:
Hi,

It is not clear which setup seems to be missing "resolution" ?
Is it the Node2 or the Volumio ?

Regards.

FRED

OP
nikkon

nikkon

sorry for not being specific - Node + low noise PSU compared to my old Volumio setup
both are connected to the same DAC

Top Bottom