• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

RadioBuddha

Depending on your source you can always bypass the Play-Fi app. Spotify direct works fine, as does the Amazon app. For Qobuz and local files I use Audirvana.or Bubbleupnp. At this writing I'm only using Play Fi for XM radio and have no problem.

Spotify Connect, that checks one box, does it have Airplay, I will check the website, and what internet radio database does Play Fi use? But here is the question, how do you use Audirvana and Bubbleupnp, how does that work? I thought you are limited to the OS of these internet streamers, can you do the same thing with the Yamaha WXC-50?

If you are using Audirvana with the Paradigm PW Link, could you also use Picoreplayer and the Logitech Media Server with the Paradigm?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Spotify Connect, that checks one box, does it have Airplay, I will check the website, and what internet radio database does Play Fi use? But here is the question, how do you use Audirvana and Bubbleupnp, how does that work? I thought you are limited to the OS of these internet streamers, can you do the same thing with the Yamaha WXC-50?

If you are using Audirvana with the Paradigm PW Link, could you also use Picoreplayer and the Logitech Media Server with the Paradigm?

I'm a PC and Android guy so you're on your own with Airplay.

Audirvana playback on the PC is sent via USB to my Topping D10 bridge to the Paradigm via optical, the PW Link feeds my RME DAC.

BubbleUpnp on Android connects via wifi to the PW Link as a DLNA device. I use Emby server for local files but Logitech works fine too.

I don't know what radio database is used but it works ok

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210815-184831.png
    Screenshot_20210815-184831.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20210815-185438.png
    Screenshot_20210815-185438.png
    333.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

RadioBuddha

I'm a PC and Android guy so you're on your own with Airplay.

Audirvana playback on the PC is sent via USB to my Topping D10 bridge to the Paradigm via optical, the PW Link feeds my RME DAC.

BubbleUpnp on Android connects via wifi to the PW Link as a DLNA device. I use Emby server for local files but Logitech works fine too.

I don't know what radio database is used but it works ok

Thanks for providing the info, I was hoping it could be done without all of those extra devices, the Paradigm website reports that it does not have Airplay ability but the Play-Fi website states that Play-Fi does utilize Airplay and Airplay 2, I don't know.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Thanks for providing the info, I was hoping it could be done without all of those extra devices, the Paradigm website reports that it does not have Airplay ability but the Play-Fi website states that Play-Fi does utilize Airplay and Airplay 2, I don't know.

It certainly can be done without the extra devices, the bridge is only necessary because I'm choosing to use Audirvana for gapless playback with Qobuz and local.. With Spotify that's not necessary.

RadioBuddha

It certainly can be done without the extra devices, the bridge is only necessary because I'm choosing to use Audirvana for gapless playback with Qobuz and local.. With Spotify that's not necessary.

Right but I mean that you can't use an alternative OS like Audirvana if you just have the Paradigm Link, analog out to your integrated amplifier, if you can, how?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Right but I mean that you can't use an alternative OS like Audirvana if you just have the Paradigm Link, analog out to your integrated amplifier, if you can, how?

The PW Link isn't a Raspberry Pi so of course Audirvana requires some kind of PC to run on, headless minipc or old laptop or whatever. But again it ain't required I just like gapless playback and am using Qobuz until Spotify goes lossless..

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn’t this just win product of the year? Yikes

jmillar

I understand that the performance compared to other DACs was subpar but I don’t understand why this is marked as broken. To me broken implies an audible problem. In this case the performance is still .004% distortion which, of course, is two orders of magnitude below human audibility. So in this case you could put a very sad panther but in fact the device is not broken.

Good concept. Rough execution.

If the app misbehaves to such an extent and if it handles USB storage devices poorly the qualifier "broken" sounds harsh but is valid.

I wanted to know how snappy the new processor is, how nimble the interface feels.

If the included dac is worse than a basic $99 device with good specs they should sell a variant WITHOUT a dac, just a basic streamer and interface, the "core" device.

If they can't manage that we may be better off with a raspberry pie based thingie.

RadioBuddha

Good concept. Rough execution.

If the app misbehaves to such an extent and if it handles USB storage devices poorly the qualifier "broken" sounds harsh but is valid.

I wanted to know how snappy the new processor is, how nimble the interface feels.

If the included dac is worse than a basic $99 device with good specs they should sell a variant WITHOUT a dac, just a basic streamer and interface, the "core" device.

If they can't manage that we may be better off with a raspberry pie based thingie.

And yet almost every major Youtube tech reviewer speak of this device as if it is the second coming, then again, they do that with almost every device they touch, amazing how that works, at least John Darko will tell you that cheaper Pi devices sound better, but for 99 percent of these Youtube reviewers, they are just a quasi advertising extension of the audio companies.

dtaylo1066

And yet almost every major Youtube tech reviewer speak of this device as if it is the second coming, then again, they do that with almost every device they touch, amazing how that works, at least John Darko will tell you that cheaper Pi devices sound better, but for 99 percent of these Youtube reviewers, they are just a quasi advertising extension of the audio companies.

The majority of devices do sound good to most listener's ears. The vast majority are not careful or critical listeners and purchase their audio products sight unseen via the internet. The distortion deltas we discuss here are irrelevant to the majority of buyers.

RadioBuddha

The majority of devices do sound good to most listener's ears. The vast majority are not careful or critical listeners and purchase their audio products sight unseen via the internet. The distortion deltas we discuss here are irrelevant to the majority of buyers.

Still doesn't change the fact that you can see a company's product promo tour a mile away once the stupid overreaction Youtube thumbnail shots parade your search results on said product. It is interesting how fast independent Youtube tech reviewers morphed into paid shills or just view count shills.

D

Deleted member 36131

I agree, objective measurements are fun and informative.

However they create an unreasonable air-of-doubt about products in terms of subjective listening.

stmy

Doesn't that depend on the OS you run on the RPi?
It seems not ... I understand that streaming Tidal Masters it with Volumio comes at extra cost. Latest Lineage OS does not recognize the Digi+ Pro that I have, after a lot of tinkering I've (just) got the NODE ... it sounds identical to the SBT for CD quality stream through the same DAC and I think a bit better for Masters. There was a user here here with a smart dog , maybe he can help me with the RPI 4 setup to save it from going in a drawer for a long time

Well guys,

I did try the Rpi "thingy". I set it up according to various video tutorials, it cost me 100 EUR in parts and a lot of hours to put it together, install raspbian and raspotify to be able to stream from 1 streaming service only. It worked just fine while it worked but the RPi was often disconnecting from my home wifi so I decided to buy powerline adapters (another 50 EUR cost) to connect it to the internet via ethernet cable. Again, it worked wonderfully while it worked but then it stopped working properly in a manner of weeks. The device wasn't set up to work continuously 24/7, started overheating slightly in summer months and again the connectivity was dropping way more often than I would like it to.

So I decided to purchase the new NODE and it works just fine as a streamer. I have an external DAC connected to it via coax. The connection stability is good even via wifi, the app works and I can stream from multiple streaming services while my Rpi gadget could only do Spotify Connect. While the value for money might not be perfect the device works just fine as a network streamer. I also appreciate the hdmi e-ARC support to connect my TV to the chain with ease.

I have easily dumped like 300 USD worth of time and money into my Rpi streamer and then I had to replace it anyway. So I can definitely see the appeal of NODE to a large audience of non tech-savvy users out there. I have not seen a better / cheaper network streamer out there with such a wide support of various streaming services.

Last edited:

stmy

Volumio's Primo for about the cost of the BlueSound Node is a much higher performing and better designed unit, with a far better DAC chip. As to the Node, they could do a much better job for little or no additional cost. Why don't they? I would submit that the lion's share of Node buyers are quite content if not extremely happy with the sound and the product. A lot of their music might even be stored in compressed formats to begin with, or listened to over not particularly accurate of systems.
I was considering this route for my rpi - does volumio require a subscription to stream Tidal MQA tracks?

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 and ARCAM ST60.

Top Bottom