• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe multiple things can be true at the same time.
  • Perhaps the Node is a good product for many people, with a feature set that is useful for the price it is offered at
  • And perhaps the manufacturer also should have done a better job at implementing the DAC section, and this a opportunity for improvement in a subsequent product.
These do not have to be mutually exclusive.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe multiple things can be true at the same time.
  • Perhaps the Node is a good product for many people, with a feature set that is useful for the price it is offered at
  • And perhaps the manufacturer also should have done a better job at implementing the DAC section, and this a opportunity for improvement in a subsequent product.
These do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Very nicely put.

RadioBuddha

The Node is cheap for what it does...it streams a bunch of online services, connects to all sorts of stuff including Bluetooth and HDMI, is Alexa-controllable, Roon-ready, MQA-ready and supports AirPlay to boot. It's backed by a company who has been in the audio business for a long time, and has received regular updates as technology changes. A less than perfect DAC? Heh, you can't win them all...

For what it does though, it is extremely overpriced.

RadioBuddha

Dunno about that. Some of us rank fiddling with operating systems and NAS wiring just above root canal or attending kid's soccer games.

I can't argue with that, the Yamaha at $350, basically achieves the same thing as the Bluesound, perhaps the Bluesound app is better, heck the Amazon Echo Link at $200 might be close to the Bluesound, but as with anything, to each his own.

I can only go with what I see on Youtube as far as the apps go, the Sonos app looks nice and seems to have every streaming option on planet Earth, now I've read that the Sonos Port has low sound quality, I've seen people complain about the Node's sound quality, I doubt I could tell the difference, tempted to try a Sonos Port, anyway I am with you vis a vis the Raspberry Pi options, I'm not certain I want to be bothered with any of it, although many here state it is not that much work.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... anyway I am with you vis a vis the Raspberry Pi options, I'm not certain I want to be bothered with any of it, although many here state it is not that much work.

I don't doubt the RPi4 achieves higher sound quality, with measurably better specifications but I'm no longer interested in reading manuals or updating anything, myself.

The Yammie probably works just fine - but the timing of BlueSound's debut meant that was the first version to work for me. Now there are choices and that's an excellent development.

Perhaps the revelation of poor performance will stir the BlueSound smurfs into another round of improvements.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It also has jitter even using optical toslink :(

To quote our host's review

"4. Using a well-designed Dac like the Topping D50, there is no difference at all between Toslink from Chromecast or higher fidelity sources. All the jitter is filtered out resulting in the performance of the DAC itself being the limit.* .

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Products should be considered in context. There are people who want an easy to use, convenient solution in a box which will give good sound with low stress. People who don't want to figure out how to put things together or worry about software. A product from a recognizable name with a dealer network and support is probably important to this market. So for what it is I can see why some like it, it's easy to assume others want the same that we do out of a product.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mkaram

To quote our host's review

"4. Using a well-designed Dac like the Topping D50, there is no difference at all between Toslink from Chromecast or higher fidelity sources. All the jitter is filtered out resulting in the performance of the DAC itself being the limit.* .
Sure but it's dac dependant.
I think the sticking point in this review is around the use of the node only as a blueOS device with multiple other boxes attached to it.
In that sense it's a cheap way to get into blueOS but if you'd don't care about that there are cleaner setups.

Then again, if this is a lifestyle device for you and you want the minimize boxes and dongles it compares differently.

It's one of those things where Amir is correctly and effectively rating it on "measurements for the price"
It's good knowledge but incomplete context for how many people would use this device. That's not a failing of ASR or Amir, just a recognition that sometimes there's important context not in scope for the types of reviews we come here for.

goofball

Of everyone who drives a vehicle here (car, truck, minivan, whatever), you will no doubt find a reviewer someplace that says the engine on your vehicle sucks. High-end...low-end...it doesn't matter. They'll put up a few numbers that they measured on the engine using high-end automotive test equipment, draw up a ranking chart comparing the engine (poorly) to all others on the market, and write some negative words in support of their rating. From their perspective, they feel fully justified in doing so, because "it's their job".

Does that mean the vehicle sucks? No. Does that mean the engine sucks? Perhaps...perhaps not. It just happens to reflect what the reviewer saw that day. If it's good enough to move you around, then it doesn't really matter what the reviewer says.

I'll bet there are a lot of ASR readers with poorly-measuring gear. It's that way in any business. You continue to use and appreciate it because it brings you enjoyment, and that is that.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of everyone who drives a vehicle here (car, truck, minivan, whatever), you will no doubt find a reviewer someplace that says the engine on your vehicle sucks. High-end...low-end...it doesn't matter. They'll put up a few numbers that they measured on the engine using high-end automotive test equipment, draw up a ranking chart comparing the engine (poorly) to all others on the market, and write some negative words in support of their rating. From their perspective, they feel fully justified in doing so, because "it's their job".

Does that mean the vehicle sucks? No. Does that mean the engine sucks? Perhaps...perhaps not. It just happens to reflect what the reviewer saw that day. If it's good enough to move you around, then it doesn't really matter what the reviewer says.

I'll bet there are a lot of ASR readers with poorly-measuring gear. It's that way in any business. You continue to use and appreciate it because it brings you enjoyment, and that is that.

Which entirely misses the point of this whole site.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which entirely misses the point of this whole site.
And that point of the whole site is?

I know Amir made it clear that he is here to measure the audio quality and spend his time and money on equipment to so. Thanks for that. But when others try to point out that there is extreme amount of value in complete integrated package input through the preamp stage with tablet control and plug and play connectivity, some others seem fall in line with a narrow perspective damning it on one mediocre measure of performance. I know of no other one box product at $550 that does all that the Node does if one looks at and evaluates connectivity options, inputs and outputs, and highly sophisticated user interface that is maintained and updated by at large supplier for its lifetime after purchase. Further it is scalable by adding a better DAC and things like Roon, or MQA DAC, or subwoofer output, etc. It's time that more ASR followers start evaluating equipment as whole, as the point of the whole site, even if Amir prefers to (and should IMO) stay expertly focused on measuring specs. Most Node owners here say that adding a DAC only enhances the good experience they are already having, being very satisfied. Did I mention Spouse Acceptance Factor (SAP).

My Honda Hybrid gets 48 mpg. A Ferrari only gets 15 mpg. Maybe that little Ferrari is not very good, but it looks good, goes fast and most who own one say is blast to drive. I don't think they are confused. Amir did say the Node looked good, however. haha

Golfx

Forum Donor
Amir allows us to use math to aggregate our choices. Then we can make more informed decisions over our choices. Otherwise we would only have the manufacturer’s press releases or opinions of reviewers needing future advertising income.

Top Bottom