• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a new Node for my main listening room that is connected to an X16 via coax and an older Node 2 in my garage system. Both perform perfectly connected to Ethernet, app is simple and works without flaw, both found my NAS, and I even been shocked a few times by the sound quality in my garage using the old node 2 DAC (in a very imperfect room playing through my old college dorm room Polk Monitor 5Bs and a Pioneer VSX-4500S). All this is to say I don’t disagree with the results here (except Amir struggling with the app), but if set up properly (which I also found very easy to do using settings via app) the node performs admirably and I won’t even qualify that with at its price point, its just good.
What comes after the X16 in your components ? Preamp, amp and speakers?

wje

Forum Donor
Some people question if the Node is a flawed product and if it deserves the headless panther.

This version of the Node has a HDMI ARC connection so you can connect your TV and have the audio over your soundsystem, unfortunately Bluesound OS has a lip-sync issue because there is a deliberate delay in the processing of the signal.
https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360046724114-Lip-Sync-Node-2i-digital-out- ?page=1#comments
So the HDMI connection is useless I guess (was not tested by Armir)

I wasn't aware of the sync issue via ARC. This would have been one of the reasons for me to upgrade from the Node 2i to the Node. Well that, along with 2-way Bluetooth. At this point, I don't see enough benefit in moving from the Node 2i to the Node.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't aware of the sync issue via ARC. This would have been one of the reasons for me to upgrade from the Node 2i to the Node. Well that, along with 2-way Bluetooth. At this point, I don't see enough benefit in moving from the Node 2i to the Node.
What video is associated with the lag? If using as a streamer this isn’t an issue?

chelgrian

What video is associated with the lag? If using as a streamer this isn’t an issue?

It appears to be delay added by the unit to allow multi room stuff to play in sync. The problem is their marketing shows the unit being used for movies using HDMI ARC and it's never going to work for this.

If you only ever use to HDMI ARC for audio only streaming then it would fine but TVs tend to only have one ARC capable input.

chelgrian

It's based on an over a decade old ARM design (Cortex A9) then again you don't need much power for what it's supposed to be doing. What you do need is a competent design.

Actually that was the Node 2i this 2021 Node is based on a Cortex-A53 which is somewhat newer. It remains though that it has far more CPU power than it needs to decode and play stereo audio. It would be a different story if it was doing a lot of DSP.

I have not had a single problem with the app, and it sounds fine. Streaming into the Smsl su 9 dac, it's fantastic. I think that output via usb is coming in a firmware update.

wje

Forum Donor

I can't confirm. In the post I quoted, another member said there was a lag / lip synch issue using the eARC connector.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can push stream both of those services from Roon to any streamer. You only have that requirement if you want to use the UI and services of the streamer. Those of us who use other architectures, don't need anything special in the streamer other than taking bits from the network, and feeding a DAC.
Roon $700 lifetime Plus dedicated computer. Node $549 lifetime comes with some Hardware

GreenBee

Long time listener, first time caller.

I get that Amir doesn't have time to problem solve if something doesn't go right during setup given the amount of gear he has to test. If he wants to give it a broken rating that's his prerogative. I truly appreciate the work Amir does and I factor it in to my purchasing decisions, but his test results aren't necessarily the last word on a given product.

I own the NODE and have had no problems with the app. I think of it as a streamer/pre/DAC, and in this way it's a great product for me. HDMI ARC from my TV (I've not experienced any lip sync issues), phono stage to analog input, streaming Spotify, Amazon HD, plus internet radio (I don't have local music files). The DAC is clearly the weak link, but overall it works great for the money in my mid-fi use case, and an outboard DAC is easily added. I see this as a plus because I'm free to experiment with any DAC I want, or any amp for that matter.

FWIW, I had the Powernode 2i as well, and though the implementation was good (same connections as current NODE), there was something lacking as it threw out an extremely flat stereo image. It was truly one box with no output other than speaker, so no options for outboard DAC or amp, which kinda sucked. Sold it pretty quick.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
No real surprises here in terms of analogue performance but I am surprised to hear that the app is broken :oops:. The whole point of opting for Bluesound is for the idiot proof integration, almost on par with Sonos.

PS: Burr Brown is the achilles heel here and they don't quote outstanding specs either so I give it to them on that front :)
Not an excuse. HifiBerry uses Burr Brown and even their super-cheap DAC+ Pro and DAC2 Pro HATs easily beat the Node.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which DAC are you using with your Node? Planning on getting a Gustard X16 to pair with my New Node :)
Tried the E30 (sounded great) then the D70, which has balanced outputs which I used to hook to the Freya+. Sounds great as well.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Not an excuse. HifiBerry uses Burr Brown and even their super-cheap DAC+ Pro and DAC2 Pro HATs easily beat the Node.
It's been demonstrated that 0.004% THD+N, even more so when dominated by distortion is not an audible concern, not every products are in this business just to "beat" the competition at numbers, they are selling an experience, this product can let you hear music in hifi, depending of what comes after. Can you hear these distortion level? If not why would it matter?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
In 1983, when the very first generation CD players were released, measured THD was way better than this box. 37 years later, this thing is giving figures up to four times worse on THD alone.

Perspective:
View attachment 146169
Tested results for 1st generation CD players, September 1983.
Note the Akai CD-D1 used twin 14 bit Philips TDA-1540 converters with an O/S digital filter- the first released machine to do so. Sold to OEMs in 1982.
Am I right in thinking that those early CD players used either Philips or Burr Brown DACs?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Amir usually leaves it to other reviewers to test all the subjective stuff.

A better analogy is that he is testing the drivetrain of that BMW to put all the bells and whistles into context.
He is running the BMW on the dyno and against the stopwatch. Anything else in car testing is subjective. ;-)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
It's been demonstrated that 0.004% THD+N, even more so when dominated by distortion is not an audible concern, not every products are in this business just to "beat" the competition at numbers, they are selling an experience, this product can let you hear music in hifi, depending of what comes after. Can you hear these distortion level? If not why would it matter?
So, Amir is just wasting his time testing these things, and also wasted $$$ buying his AP analyser? Is any objective measurement worth doing at all? Should we just be happy with the 1950/60s Leak "standard" (0.1% distortion, FR within several dB 20-20k?)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Tried the E30 (sounded great) then the D70, which has balanced outputs which I used to hook to the Freya+. Sounds great as well.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll be getting the Gustard X16 so I can use Coaxial out of the NODE and get MQA until the new firmware enables the USB out in the NODE.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, Amir is just wasting his time testing these things, and also wasted $$$ buying his AP analyser? Is any objective measurement worth doing at all? Should we just be happy with the 1950/60s Leak "standard" (0.1% distortion, FR within several dB 20-20k?)

No and yes.

No in that measurements are interesting and useful to keep manufacturers honest.

Yes in that once performance passes audible thresholds then how things like distortion measures is pretty much irrelevant.

Most people buy audio gear to listen to music, if things like distortion are inaudible then they don't affect listening. I would go further and say even audible distortion has to be really bad before it really affects listening enjoyment.

At the risk of being derided as a subjectivist, if audio gear meets what I want in terms of audible performance then I don't worry about measurement. Speaking as an engineer I see nothing great about engineering anything beyond what is necessary.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I can push stream both of those services from Roon to any streamer. You only have that requirement if you want to use the UI and services of the streamer. Those of us who use other architectures, don't need anything special in the streamer other than taking bits from the network, and feeding a DAC.
I wonder, how much of the value of the Node is in the OS and UI? It seems to be much more important than audio performance to those who actually use the BlueSound system.

Top Bottom