• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a company the size of Lenbrook to use such a cheap and low performing DAC is a sad story. For a few bucks extra the unit could perform much better. As to the App, I think most users have had a far better experience than Amir. As to my personal opinion and behavior, I see no reason to use any other device but my set up of Asus Tinker Board with Volumio feeding my Emotiva (or any other) stand alone DAC. Hard to beat for $75. You can buy a Pi and DAC HAT and do much better than the Node in terms of DAC performance. And the Allo unit reviewed a few weeks ago is far superior and less expensive.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
For a company the size of Lenbrook to use such a cheap and low performing DAC is a sad story. For a few bucks extra the unit could perform much better. As to the App, I think most users have had a far better experience than Amir. As to my personal opinion and behavior, I see no reason to use any other device but my set up of Asus Tinker Board with Volumio feeding my Emotiva (or any other) stand alone DAC. Hard to beat for $75. You can buy a Pi and DAC HAT and do much better than the Node in terms of DAC performance. And the Allo unit reviewed a few weeks ago is far superior and less expensive.

Or just use a retired laptop. I run Volumio into Dirac Standalone into a Schiit Modius DAC. In my world, room correction is an absolute must-have.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
That said, I can't figure out anything on it. Hopefully the app helps.... Not!!! There is no remote so I downloaded the app to try to figure out how to change inputs. The app downloaded fine and prompted me to upgrade the unit. I let it and it spent some 10 minutes doing so! This is way too clunky. What on earth is it doing for 10 minutes? It rebooted but then nothing would work in the app. The gear icon would do nothing. And neither would the "VCR" (player controls). It thought it was all well but it clearly could not communicate with the unit. I restarted it and the unit and still nothing. I gave up.

@amirm, did you try factory resetting the device (see last page)?

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Some people question if the Node is a flawed product and if it deserves the headless panther.

Well first of all, Armir = God on ASR so if he gives a headless panther we have to deal with it :p;)

But on a more serious note:
We can discuss that the DAC is not broken but it certainly is not SOTA which it should be in a product in this price range nowadays.

Armir could not get the app software running and more people complain that it is a PITA to get it up and running. Probably this is the main reason for the headless panther.

This version of the Node has a HDMI ARC connection so you can connect your TV and have the audio over your soundsystem, unfortunately Bluesound OS has a lip-sync issue because there is a deliberate delay in the processing of the signal.
https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/e...p-Sync-Node-2i-digital-out- ?page=1#comments
So the HDMI connection is useless I guess (was not tested by Armir)

This version of the Node has an USB out connector so you can hook up another DAC over USB, unfortunately Bluesound states: *Available for free with future software update, so it is not working, maybe in the future.

Finally there are many claims that USB file management is poor in the Bluesound OS.

Why did Bluesound bother to introduce a new model if all the improvements over the old model are flawed and the existing problems are not solved?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would anyone play hi-res when the devices can't even reach the CD standard?
If one uses another DAC hi res is certainly possible. Not sure what you mean. Less than 16 bits with the onboard DAC?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
If one uses another DAC hi res is certainly possible. Not sure what you mean. Less than 16 bits with the onboard DAC?
Measured SINAD is only 88 dB, less than the 96 dB of a 16-bit CD-quality recording. See the first post in this thread.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, did you try factory resetting the device (see last page)?
Yes and No. The app as I mentioned, had no trouble connecting to the unit initially and updating its firmware upon which, a factory "reset" is done by definition. It is after the firmware update that it lost connection with it. No amount of restarting the App or the firmware fixed it. Seems to indicate to me a regression of sorts with the App or Firmware. They could have updated the firmware recently and hence the reason others have not seen it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Armir could not get the app software running and more people complain that it is a PITA to get it up and running. Probably this is the main reason for the headless panther.
It was although not for obvious reason. I don't care what the App does as far as functionality. But when it is the only way to select inputs and it stops communicating with no error messages, then that becomes a serious problem. The device needs to have a hard button on itself to cycle through inputs. Or provide a remote. Not doing either, then proceeding to break the communication with the App after a firmware upgrade is not forgivable. The unit as it sits, is broken because I can't use any of its functionality other than playing from Ethernet.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measured SINAD is only 88 dB, less than the 96 dB of a 16-bit CD-quality recording. See the first post in this thread.
Again, if one hooks a good DAC via coax that limitation is removed.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yes and No. The app as I mentioned, had no trouble connecting to the unit initially and updating its firmware upon which, a factory "reset" is done by definition. It is after the firmware update that it lost connection with it. No amount of restarting the App or the firmware fixed it. Seems to indicate to me a regression of sorts with the App or Firmware. They could have updated the firmware recently and hence the reason others have not seen it.

Mine is running the latest firmware without any issues. I think last firmware was released a couple of weeks back.

goofball

Replying as JAFO and not even a Bluesound owner...Steve Guttenberg (yeah, yeah) said in one of his videos that audio companies are in the ENTERTAINMENT business. They make products that are intended to provide value to the customer that is worth buying. In Bluesound's case, they make a one-box solution that streams a bunch of services and is controllable by a smartphone app.

Can I rig up a solution using an outboard DAC or a Pi or something? Perhaps. Some people might do that given their own setups, but I ask myself: Why the f*** would I want to? I don't put performance parts on my SUV hoping to get better performance or gas mileage. That kind of stuff is left to teenagers driving jalopies.

You don't like the Node because its performance isn't to your liking, or because the app sucks? OK, I get it...don't buy one. Just as the minivan won't please everyone, neither will this device. But Bluesound and Sonos have got an awful lot of customers who are very pleased with the one-box solutions they are selling.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the original Node and Node 2.
Love them.

I have too many streaming services and it does them all. Listening to (SiriusXM) satellite radio through it now. (I drive a lot so I have the subscription, might as well try on here)

Denon 4520 reports 44.1kHz from optical input, all Node outputs are active so I can switch back and forth if needed.

D700

Why put a bad dac in something at that price point? I continue to imagine a $250 Squeezebox HD Cloud, all screen, about the size of an iPad, configured from Squeezebox.com, supporting all the services and all the assistants .... or maybe Apple could rollover in bed and kill this category with an iPad Mini and some sort of smart dock with USB - C power and audio out. Imagine whole screen cover flow that works whether docked or not.

For that matter, why Apple hasn't built a more Roon like experience for Apple Music escapes me...not rocket science.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was an early adopter of the (similar) BlueSound Vault, 1st generation.

At the time, I was having a conniption over Windows forcing 10 on us happy XP users or migrating to another OS. This was a simpler solution.

As an all in one solution, ripping CDs it was clunky and didn't sound great.
With the optical output bypassing the internal (infernal) DAC it was better.

That unit had a transport failure and was replaced by the BlueSound smurfs with an upgraded Vault 2. I run this through the MiniDSP SHD which sends the data (streamed or off the internal drive) as AES to my speakers.

This solution is adequate, and stable. The best part (in my opinion) of BlueSound is the seamless connectivity between devices throughout my house. No additional networking steps are required.

There's no additional subscription or maintenance fees to use their app, which is my preference.

Rather than the Node, the Pulse all in one speaker would be my choice for casual users.

Stephen

If you can hear .004% distortion then you must be Bruce Wayne. Batman has been unmasked! :cool:
Sorry it's not about distortion... simply sounding muted, with a narrow sound stage. If you manage to switch quickly back and forth to compare, there is no hesitation.

Top Bottom