• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Have to mention that the USB file management is horrendous. Probabily one of the worse ever made on such device. Definetly not the tool to play your music from your USB library. I suspect Bluesound to push owners to stream via internet rather than play their saved music files (or simply save money not develloping this USB file management) .

Of course you can stream from another device via a third party software and use Bluetooth. But putting such a big effort to make a nice streaming Device/software and totally wasting the USB file management is a total shame and/or a customer rip off.
Not that I'd ever consider buying this, but how is the file management bad?

raif71

Major Contributor
Even though it's rated at the bottom (in red)...don't fret about it. I have 2 gears in that category and quite satisfied with their performances. No biggie.:)

Last edited:

rodrigaj

Are there suggestions - streaming transport (without dac) for a further quality upgrade that can handle BluOs. I need BluOs as the only choice to stream my favorite Idagio lossless subscription classical music. Suggestions very welcome!

I haven't got any suggestions. I do have a question about the BluOs app and Idagio subscription. I've never gone that route (I use Airplay), because BluOs requires you to use their app for access to the Idagio subscription. You therefore lose the functionality of the excellent Idagio app, especially it's search and curator features. Sonus is the same - they require you to use their app for Idagio.

As I said, I've used Airplay, which has its problems and am always looking for alternatives - the best example of what I am looking for is Spotify Connect.

(Apologies for the hijack, but it is seldom that services like Idagio are mentioned.)

edjo

I haven't got any suggestions. I do have a question about the BluOs app and Idagio subscription. I've never gone that route (I use Airplay), because BluOs requires you to use their app for access to the Idagio subscription. You therefore lose the functionality of the excellent Idagio app, especially it's search and curator features. Sonus is the same - they require you to use their app for Idagio.

As I said, I've used Airplay, which has its problems and am always looking for alternatives - the best example of what I am looking for is Spotify Connect.

(Apologies for the hijack, but it is seldom that services like Idagio are mentioned.)

edjo

Few words on the Idagio app in relation to the BluOs app. I operate both apps the same time, do the search in the Idagio app and then switch to the BluOs app and fill in the search result. The stream into the Node 2i comes through the cabled network connection.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
OK, but setting up an RPi really isn't that hard. There are many guides out there. The toughest bit is deciding which OS/app to use.

Why would I want a touch screen on the device itself? Unless I'm using a portable player, I expect to use a remote, remote app, or web access, to control any audio device, just as I would with a TV or DVR/PVR.
I use a touchscreen on my LMS/Pi setup because the remote controls always time out, or get hidden behind other windows, etc. Especially useful for playlists, where I can glance over and see what song just came on, and can simply touch the screen on my desk to skip if it's not to my taste. It always shows what's playing, then becomes a clock/weather screen when the music ends. Highly useful.

D588462D-E82C-4373-8BD5-BE6B1C5E2074.jpeg

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hummm. I got one last month for my bedroom system and it took me less than 10 mins to set it up, including firmware update which took about 5 mins. I have mine network wired. I don't use the BluOS app, I use Roon. BTW, it does not come with remote but Bluesound sells the remote for all it's streamers and speakers for $59. I have one and it works perfectly. It also works with my Harmony Elite remote. However, I do agree that for critical listening is not the best streamer. I have a Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 and an ARCAM ST60 Streamer and both sound superior in every sense than the Node. Also, the Node is very reliable with Roon. I use the Node for about 2 hours a day and it has never lost sync with my NUC 10 Roon ROCK Core.

IMG_7571.jpeg

IMG_7573.jpeg

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use the Node2i as a streamer in multiple systems, and the app has been excellent. You can stream any service you like, aptX and Airplay, etc. I never counted on the DAC to be excellent, although at this price i suppose it should be much better than it is. The "nodes" are expensive as simple digital out streamers but the interface, for me, has been worth it.
It may have been reported but I don't know if there is enough noise/distortion from the coax out to be concerned with when used this way? Also I find it odd that some streamers, like the Sonos Port, output a max of 44/16 whereas others like the Node output hi res. So there must be some differences between them even when used just to "transport" the digital signal.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Also I find it odd that some streamers, like the Sonos Port, output a max of 44/16 whereas others like the Node output hi res. So there must be some differences between them even when used just to "transport" the digital signal.

"On Sonos you can stream up to 24-bit/48 kHz Hi-Res FLAC from Qobuz on your S2 compatible hardware. Tracks with a sampling rate above 48 kHz will be delivered to your Sonos hardware as 16-bit/44.1 kHz FLAC (CD lossless quality)."

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1782?language=en_US

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have to mention that the USB file management is horrendous. Probabily one of the worse ever made on such device. Definetly not the tool to play your music from your USB library. I suspect Bluesound to push owners to stream via internet rather than play their saved music files (or simply save money not develloping this USB file management) .

Of course you can stream from another device via a third party software and use Bluetooth. But putting such a big effort to make a nice streaming Device/software and totally wasting the USB file management is a total shame and/or a customer rip off.
I have no issue with my local file management. What problems are you having?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No real surprises here in terms of analogue performance but I am surprised to hear that the app is broken :oops:. The whole point of opting for Bluesound is for the idiot proof integration, almost on par with Sonos.

PS: Burr Brown is the achilles heel here and they don't quote outstanding specs either so I give it to them on that front :)
Pretty sure the app isn't broken. I remember setting my Node 2i up and the app was a PITA but once set up was easy to use and navigate. Every once in awhile my phone will take a few seconds or minutes to link up w/ the device as I completely turn power off to the unit whenever I am not listening to music so it has to boot up and "talk" to my phone but otherwise works well.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir.

What a piece of junk. If you don't care about performance you can get an Amazon Echo Dot and a 3.5mm TRS to dual RCA cable for way better integration. Or spend halfway between that and this Node for an Echo Link. Or get something from miniDSP. Or get Sonos. There is no reason I would spend $500 on something with this performance, regardless of the features or option to add a properly implemented DAC externally.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Tracks with a sampling rate above 48 kHz will be delivered to your Sonos hardware as 16-bit/44.1 kHz FLAC (CD lossless quality)."

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1782?language=en_US[/QUOTE]

My point is that the digital output of these streaming products differs. Thank you for pointing out that the Port with the relatively new S2 os will output a max of 24/48. However, material with higher sampling rates will default to 16/44. In contrast, the Node will stream 24/192 (https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/). Why is that? I assume the processing power in the device is responsible but I don't know.

For me it's not important as i listen to Spotify Premium; i'm just curious what is happening "in the box" that results in different outputs. For some the ability to output 24/192 is important.

wje

Forum Donor
I've been using the Bluesound Node 2i for a few years with great success.
  • The Bluesound app has worked for me without issue from a reliability standpoint.
  • I've only used external DACs with the exception of trying the internal Bluesound Node 2i DAC on one occasion.
Now, for my gripes - which apparently, has been an "issue" for a few years from my research.
  • If you want to "edit" your saved playlist, you simply can't select the artist, or song and "delete" it from the play list. You have to first, load the play list into the play queue. Then, remove the song or artist from the play queue. Once that has been done, you have to save the items in your play queue as a new play list. Seems like a really "round-about" way to do a simple edit such as removing a song or artist from the play list.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
My point is that the digital output of these streaming products differs. Thank you for pointing out that the Port with the relatively new S2 os will output a max of 24/48. However, material with higher sampling rates will default to 16/44. In contrast, the Node will stream 24/192 (https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/). Why is that? I assume the processing power in the device is responsible but I don't know.

For me it's not important as i listen to Spotify Premium; i'm just curious what is happening "in the box" that results in different outputs. For some the ability to output 24/192 is important.

I think because Sonos has always emphasized the "multi-room" aspect of their product line. They support (IIRC) up to 24 rooms simultaneously via their mesh network, which would simply gag on "hi-rez" material. Most of their competitors are limited to 8 rooms max, and have disclaimers about even that.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tracks with a sampling rate above 48 kHz will be delivered to your Sonos hardware as 16-bit/44.1 kHz FLAC (CD lossless quality)."

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1782?language=en_US

For me it's not important as i listen to Spotify Premium; i'm just curious what is happening "in the box" that results in different outputs. For some the ability to output 24/192 is important.[/QUOTE]

Fair. Lousy 48kHz downsampling for digital outputs and DAC is my biggest problem with Amazon Echo Link.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor

My understanding is that downsambling hi-res files is required to optimize multi-room playback.

Top Bottom