• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try without the external dac to eliminate it as a source.

CBM

Try without the external dac to eliminate it as a source.
Doesn't the fact that the distortion goes away when I turn off "output level fixed" on the node mean that the problem is in the Node?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

lpdot

Absolutely not true, notwithstanding what the BluOS people say. I use USB out to my Topping D30Pro, and I retain volume control capabilities at every stage, whether TV (HDMI eARC into Node) or Node native streamer managed by the BluOS app run via Android.
Confirm that. I have an E30 in DAC mode (fixed output) and I can still control volume in the BluOS app in Android / Windows. Additionally, I bumped into a thread in the BluOS support forums with dozens of people reporting the are able to control volume when outputting to external DACs via USB.

CBM

Probably but one never knows in might be some interaction between the two. I suggested a simple test, it's what I would do. Look here also. Good luck
Tim. You are a genius. I connected a DAC and the crackling went away. Maybe something is wrong with the digital inputs on my receiver or the output from the Node is too high. I did it that way to keep from going DAC>ADC>DAC. The Denon has ADC>DAC for the Sub out and Audyssey. I'm glad I posted and listened to you. Thanks.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tim. You are a genius. I connected a DAC and the crackling went away. Maybe something is wrong with the digital inputs on my receiver or the output from the Node is too high. I did it that way to keep from going DAC>ADC>DAC. The Denon has ADC>DAC for the Sub out and Audyssey. I'm glad I posted and listened to you. Thanks.
Is the Denon old or do you live by the ocean, like me, could be dirt or corrosion. If so, buy a can a can Caig DeOxit D5 then unplug the AVR, clean all connectors, and into knobs and switches. Instructions on Caig website. Not genius just a veteran of these type things.
DeoxIT-large.jpg.auto.webp

CBM

Is the Denon old or do you live by the ocean, like me, could be dirt or corrosion. If so, buy a can a can Caig DeOxit D5 then unplug the AVR, clean all connectors, and into knobs and switches. Instructions on Caig website. Not genius just a veteran of these type things.
DeoxIT-large.jpg.auto.webp
I really need to do that. It's been in a cabinet for 5 years. Thanks for the suggestion.

waveuk

I will probably get a lot of criticism with this post for supporting two brands that are not very well regarded in this forum.

For some time my set up has been Qobuz ==> Roon ==> HQPlayer ==> RPi (NAA) ==> Chord Qutest ==> Cambridge CX81 ==> Dali Rubicon 6

Roon and HQ Player has been running in my main PC/Server that is also used by my kids for gaming. This meant some times when I wanted to play music and they were playing I had some issues. Hence I look for something more convenient and independent from the PC as server. Tested a Wiim with Optical to the Chord but was not very convinced and decided to try the Bluesound.

Also some years ago I used Tidal and after doing some testing with Qobuz I decided to move to Qobuz. With the Node that supports MQA natively I decided to give Qobuz another try. I have been comparing the Bluesound DAC + Tidal vs. Qobuz + HQPlayer + Qutest

I am not an audiophile and probably getting a bit older but enjoy finding the details in music. In my test and normalising volume as much as possible I do not find a constant better sound with Qobuz + HQPlayer + Qutest; in many cases if not most I am preferring Tidal MQA straight from Bluesound DAC. I find it provides better separation of instruments. I know all the controversy about being loosely and proprietary but I was expecting to sound bad and was positively surprised. While I usually support open source projects, regarding the loosely discussion is eventually not all digital loosely in some way or form? e.g. 44.1 is loosely vs 96 and 96 vs 192, etc.

I will test a bit longer but I am even considering selling my Quest an invest it in Vinyl to get a different perspective/experience.

jaymarnz

Confirm that. I have an E30 in DAC mode (fixed output) and I can still control volume in the BluOS app in Android / Windows. Additionally, I bumped into a thread in the BluOS support forums with dozens of people reporting the are able to control volume when outputting to external DACs via USB.
I wonder if it might be that volume control on the node is only supported if the DAC doesn't have MQA for some reason. Or maybe it allows volume control if the DAC is in fixed output mode but I wonder how it even knows. Anyway, I'll do some more experimenting

lpdot

I wonder if it might be that volume control on the node is only supported if the DAC doesn't have MQA for some reason. Or maybe it allows volume control if the DAC is in fixed output mode but I wonder how it even knows. Anyway, I'll do some more experimenting
Whether it's related to MQA I can't say - I'm more inclined to think it's the DAC's preamp feature that causes this behaviour. Intuitively you would think that setting the DAC to fixed mode would render the volume control on the Node unavailable, but it in reality it does not make any difference.

Someone explained it could be the DAC's input/output controller (XMOS) that is reporting variable volume capability to the Node regardless of which mode you set on the DAC. Also, when I had the E30 connected to an RPi with Volumio the latter too was able to control volume.

neunoir

Disappointing results. I am a happy owner of the Node 2i and the app is great in my opinion. I use this with two Bluesound Flex speakers in other rooms and they are also nice. DAC performance doesn't matter in my case, since I am using the coax output to feed a pair of Genelec 8340 digitally.
I'm using the Node in the same manner as well. Digital out to digital in on my Neumann speakers.

A stupid question perhaps, but you only need a DAC with analog out, right? With digital out to digital in there is no need to change the signal and performance would be '100% correct' by definition right?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
^ I use Node to control the volume via digital out. The optimal solution sound quality wise would be to use Genelec GLM software to adjust the volume and Node would thus just bypass the digital signal without changes. However, GLM volume control is not practical in my living room scenario.

waveuk

Whether it's related to MQA I can't say - I'm more inclined to think it's the DAC's preamp feature that causes this behaviour. Intuitively you would think that setting the DAC to fixed mode would render the volume control on the Node unavailable, but it in reality it does not make any difference.

Someone explained it could be the DAC's input/output controller (XMOS) that is reporting variable volume capability to the Node regardless of which mode you set on the DAC. Also, when I had the E30 connected to an RPi with Volumio the latter too was able to control volume.
If you have a MQA DAC and want to decode MQA then volume cannot be done before (in Bluesound) the decode takes place (in the DAC)

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With digital out to digital in there is no need to change the signal and performance would be '100% correct' by definition right?
Digital volume attenuation is not lossless. That's not to say it is problematic, but it isn't a completely lossless process to be specific.

nstzya

I'm getting crackling on some tracks with the Bluesound Node 2, but only when it's set on "output level fixed". Turn this off and the distortion goes away. And it doesn't matter what the volume setting on the Node is. It can be 100%. I'm not using the internal DAC and the distortion is there whether I use coax or toslink. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
Have you tried turning off the “clock trim“ button on the Node?

cd45123

Has anyone measured this device post the PD Creative update and revised power supply?

TabCam

I'm getting crackling on some tracks with the Bluesound Node 2, but only when it's set on "output level fixed". Turn this off and the distortion goes away. And it doesn't matter what the volume setting on the Node is. It can be 100%. I'm not using the internal DAC and the distortion is there whether I use coax or toslink. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
I got distortion on some songs when I had replay-gain enabled. Interesting to know that the volume can still be controlled as I experienced difference in sound quality between USB and coax so maybe the volume setting is the culprit as well.

ptgreg

Hi all,

First time poster, nice to meet you all. As you will see from my question, I am a bit of a noob, but willing to learn. For context, I side with the objectivists.

I am evaluating to buy a Node 2i as a streamer as it seems to be the best software after Sonos, but with better audio quality from what I understood. Wiim is also a challenger.
I am trying to understand what I would need after the Node. I see most of you are using DAC, like Topping D30Pro or RME ADI-2.

I also see that the Node as RCA output, so technically, I should be able to directly connect it to a power amp. I was thinking about the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET or the Boxem ARTHUR 4215/E2 (but I would need RCA -> XLR, this I guess). Would this work? Would I be able to hear the difference if I plug a DAC between the 2?

Last edited:
Top Bottom